New midfielder

Another kid, a touch of the 'Shez/Dickov's' here imho. If it aint broke, no need to fix it. And we have a capable lad chomping at the bit in Danny Gossett who is going to be cracker. The wheels could well and truly fall off with 2 or three more coming in - Especially if they are of the standard of Petrasso who is a long way off being ready. At least Gosset comes fresh from having the :censored: kicked out of him for three months in the Conference North that will stand him in good stead, not fresh from being pampered in Chanpionship/Premier League Academies.

LJ has to be careful here, he could blow the togetherness and momentum by introducing so many new faces into such a tight group.

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2012/7/10/3144517/getting-to-know-you-finding-out-more-on-wade-joyce

Tough tackling midfielder with a good range of passing akin to Steven Gerrard (articles words not mine)

Often ran the show for burys youth and reserve teams before being released due to financial cutbacks, managed to impress Sunderland whilst on trial with their development squad but relased and did the rounds on trial before Barnsley took him on.

I think the difference with LJ is he is bringing in loan players for areas where we need strengthening or competition. From my memory Shez would sign 4 senior strikers then never play them and bring people in on loan instead.

If it is young lads they wont have to play and as LJ has already shown vs Shrewsbury he will take them off if they are not doing the business. If Gosset is back and wants to get in the team I am sure he will if he demonstrates he is ready in training.

What about if they're thrown straight in ala Petrasso and lads that have been here months chomping at the bit and don't get a chance? That's going to create issues. You can't please all of the people all of the time but what about giving a few a chance first then go into the market if they don't take their chance. I see this as signing people for the sake of it 'just in case'. Even if we get injuries there's enough depth in the squad to compensate with some very good youngsters who could be short-term stop gap.

Central midfield was not the most pressing concern for me. I dont see the point in bringing someone in.

Left back / wing yes I get that - we are short there. Not in the midfield though.

Edited by pukka

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20131128-injuryblows-1202124.aspx

Hmmmmm suddenly we DO look a little thinner on the ground. Hopefully it'll be good news over Dayton. Took me a while to warm to him but he's an integral part of what we do right.

LJ seems determined to have at least TWO for every position. Wholesale loanees and kids at that, is it the way to go? Not so sure, but we'll see....

Edited by oafcprozac

I dont get all this if it isnt broke dont fix it...........We dont all know the facts with players, injuries and possible sales......

what if the club has had an offer for Korey Smith and we dont know it.........?

We have lost Monty for 8 weeks, Mills has gone, The latvian is out till Feb/march, Millar is out and we have a minimum of 8 games before the window reopens.

I think its good business for LJ, lets trust the guy, has he let us down so far??????

Latics fans turning a positive into a negative as always

We absolutely need another winger. Petrasso isn't up to it, Monty gone leaves us with the VERY injury prone Dayton and unproven Sid.

If Joyce is a centre-midfielder I'm sceptical though, because we've got depth with 5 or 6 fit players there at least.

We have 7, possibly 8, games to play in December and then another game on NYD before we can bring someone else in. We have 3 CM, plus Gossett, who may be good enough now but may not be, as well as Mellor, who is our first choice LB at the moment and Winchester who is needed for RB cover too. Wes, Korey and especially Rodgers may do well to not get suspended in those 8 games. Having another player available in CM makes some sense to allow Wes and Korey some rest too.

On the face of it, a tad strange - as I would have said LB was a priority.

I feel Gossett is a real prospect. But - as merely a fan, I don't get to see him train day in, day out. LJ does, so - if he feels he's maybe not quite ready to step in just yet, then that's fine by me.

If he feels this lad is a better bet short term (or longer term if BP's post is true and we go onto sign him up) then again, that's fine by me.

8 weeks is a long time in football, and if LJ feels that Petrasso and Joyce are going to add to the squad and help us to get to Jan 2014 and the opening of the window, then again - fine by me.

Welcome to BP lad.

#keepthefaith

Edited by slystallone