Devastated!

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with everything BP1960 saying, but I do think that Johnson is going along a few similar lines. The thing is though: he is 9 months into his managerial career. He WILL make mistakes. We as a 3rd division club who take a punt on a manager must allow a manager to make them. It's the only way.

I think there is a horses for courses approach in this divsion. Unless you can buy top league one players (ala Southampton) at some point, teams with small budgets have to play good football, but be prepared to mix it. 2 quick wingers, busy midfielders and a variety of strikers. One of which can be a battering ram type. He doesn't need to play every game, but I think it would offer a different option.

No. The only person who is rumbled is you. You have been sniping and whining since the army boot camp. You have a vendetta. You are an old stuck in the mud main stand set in your ways whingeing oooh sit down I cant see the penalties it wasnt like this in the sixties person. You are part of the problem.

How can I part of the problem when I'm not involved with the club?

I can't affect what happens on the field any more than any other poster on here, but I will defend my right to speak my mind even if the majority don't like it.

The fact is many fans don't like home truths and any criticism of the club no matter how constructive is shot down.

Today LJ admitted today the Latics are finding teams hard to break down at home, I have outlined my theories on why this is, but its up to the manager to change things or carry on with the same results.

Edited by BP1960

I don't agree with everything BP1960 saying, but I do think that Johnson is going along a few similar lines. The thing is though: he is 9 months into his managerial career. He WILL make mistakes. We as a 3rd division club who take a punt on a manager must allow a manager to make them. It's the only way.

I think there is a horses for courses approach in this divsion. Unless you can buy top league one players (ala Southampton) at some point, teams with small budgets have to play good football, but be prepared to mix it. 2 quick wingers, busy midfielders and a variety of strikers. One of which can be a battering ram type. He doesn't need to play every game, but I think it would offer a different option.

Gutted I've missed the conversations about that Halifax player that everyone is interested in but no one has signed.

The transfer window doesn't open while January, I may well be wrong in my estimation of his prospects, but I'm not in my estimation of his ability.

At least he's recently been recognised as good enough to be called up to represent the England C team, many of whom will go to play in the Championship and Premiership as history has shown.

Its fair to add he probably wouldn't fit into the Latics style of play anyway as he's best as the central attacker in a midfield three, LJ prefers two holding midfielders and 2 wide men.

Exactly, that was my point.

What point is that?

Many players have been signed by league and even top flight clubs in their late 20s, Are you saying for example David Eyres mustn't have been good enough as no league club signed him from Rhyl until he was 25 years of age?

Tin pot ! ....yes probably does get in the way of our Champions League campaign.

Only realistic route to Wembley , and lots of lower league teams have enjoyed their day out their in this competition.

My eldest daughter was distraught at the two legged defeat 2 seasons ago ......and the same again yesterday.

She had been so looking forward to cheering her team on at Wembley and I doubt she is alone particularly among the fans not old enough to have been to our previous games there.

If we make a dogs dinner of next Tuesday there will be nothing to get in the way of our league campaign . And nice as probably not being a relegation dogfight is , a trip to Wembley and / or Anfield would be a bonus.

Chance for an exciting trip to Wembley when we're in it; Tin-pot when we're knocked out of it. Fickle, but that's the way it is.

I think, after last night, I've come to the conclusion we're better off out of it. I'd hate to think that last night's exit meant our heads won't be right for the league game on Saturday. It really isn't worth getting into a situation where we think "what if"..

The transfer window doesn't open while January, I may well be wrong in my estimation of his prospects, but I'm not in my estimation of his ability.

At least he's recently been recognised as good enough to be called up to represent the England C team, many of whom will go to play in the Championship and Premiership as history has shown.

Its fair to add he probably wouldn't fit into the Latics style of play anyway as he's best as the central attacker in a midfield three, LJ prefers two holding midfielders and 2 wide men.

We've already had him on trial? What went wrong there?

Not the most reliable source but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gardner

What point is that?

Many players have been signed by league and even top flight clubs in their late 20s, Are you saying for example David Eyres mustn't have been good enough as no league club signed him from Rhyl until he was 25 years of age?

How long ago was that, early 90s? Football has moved on, especially football scouting. IIRC you couldn't field a team with the non-British and Irish players from all the Premier League teams in its first season. Now some clubs have double amd even triple that in their squads on their own, and a few even field starting XIs of entirely foreign players. Football scouting has become a much more serious and global business, clubs at our level are looking at the whole player, not just how talented they are as a footballer but their mental attitude and aptitude and rightly so. Maybe Gardner is deemed to have issues in that area. Halifax presumably have him under contract and maybe they are unwilling to sell him for a price clubs like Oldham can afford.

Whilst they have been players who have gone from non-league to Championship/Premiership in a short space of time recently it is a much rarer phenomenon than it was when Eyres, Wright and Pearce did it 20-25 years ago. In fact a recent example, one Matt Smith, formerly of this parish, IIRC you didn't rate, presumably because he didn't score that many for Droylesden? Was Gardner his supply line for those 6 months? That itself may be why no-one in the league has signed him.

How long ago was that, early 90s? Football has moved on, especially football scouting. IIRC you couldn't field a team with the non-British and Irish players from all the Premier League teams in its first season. Now some clubs have double amd even triple that in their squads on their own, and a few even field starting XIs of entirely foreign players. Football scouting has become a much more serious and global business, clubs at our level are looking at the whole player, not just how talented they are as a footballer but their mental attitude and aptitude and rightly so. Maybe Gardner is deemed to have issues in that area. Halifax presumably have him under contract and maybe they are unwilling to sell him for a price clubs like Oldham can afford.

Whilst they have been players who have gone from non-league to Championship/Premiership in a short space of time recently it is a much rarer phenomenon than it was when Eyres, Wright and Pearce did it 20-25 years ago. In fact a recent example, one Matt Smith, formerly of this parish, IIRC you didn't rate, presumably because he didn't score that many for Droylesden? Was Gardner his supply line for those 6 months? That itself may be why no-one in the league has signed him.

I'm not sure it's that rare. There have been at least a dozen from my own local non-league club who have gone up the league in the last five or six years or so including two to the Premiership and at least three currently in league one sides.

We've already had him on trial? What went wrong there?

Not the most reliable source but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gardner

You may as well ask why Sami Hyppia was turned down after a Latics trial, the answer is it's all about opinions.

I have said I may be wrong on my assessment of his prospects, but not about his ability, however time will tell.

You may as well ask why Sami Hyppia was turned down after a Latics trial, the answer is it's all about opinions.

I'd say the answer to that is "Graeme Sharp is a clueless :censored:ehawk who needs to stick to serving the drinks at Goodison".

I rate Matt Smith for his undoubted strengths, but he simply didn't fit into Droylsden's style of play - which at the time was a slick passing game using 3 interchanging mobile forwards.

It suited Gardner as it enabled him to surge from central midfield into gaps and score some spectacular goals.

Most teams play 4-4-2 and may consider an attacking central midfielder a luxury - even a liability if he loses possession as Gardner can in attempting something out of the ordinary, we have seen Jose Baxter do this to the chagrin of managers.

Much as I'd like him here I have to say Gardner would not suit the Latics current style of play.

Check a couple of recent Gardner goals on this video, the one at 1:12 minutes is typical of him, the striker Gregory is another who could soon be playing at a higher level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brWcqCyTpIU

If you have Latics player you can view this video of Gardner's long range goal at 5:42 mins from last Saturdays match;

http://www.player.halifaxafc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3540834/date/20131208170000/page/0/name/woking--match-highlights

BTW there's a few on here who have made the recent transition to league football, one current England international is among them.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-non-league/13560/lucky-break-is-all-it-takes/

Edited by BP1960

I went last night,and I went on Saturday.

Let me tell you all right now this team is so lightweight its frightening.

LJ is getting it ALL WRONG.

We are NOT a lone striker team,NEVER in a million years.WTF is he thinking playing JCH OR Rooney on their own I will never know and its a bit worrying that nearly half way through the season he is yet to realise this.

We have FAR too many lightweights in that team,last night there was-

Potrrasso ( 5ft 3)

Smith (5ft 6_

Mellor (5ft 7)

wesolowski (5ft 5)

phiiliskirk (5ft 7)

And JCH who for his size wins an abysmal amount of headers.

Added to that the defence is hardly land of the giants and you have a recipe for disaster.

Mansfield looked dangerous EVERY single time they put up the high ball,mark my words we will get beaten by MOST teams with an aerial/physical threat and will get beat next tues at field mill.

I suggest crowds will start to dwindle very very quickly now,i took a friend last night who was bored out of his tree after about 40mins and wont be going back in a rush,esp when the club wants 20 quid for league games.

People cant rant and rave at this post all they like but we have big problems with this team,they are paperweight and IMO will get found out very quickly once opposing managers suss us out.

ps chesterfield were the better team last night we were utterly clueless going forward,like it or not,just like Saturday,..

Edited by rigsby

I have said I may be wrong on my assessment of his prospects, but not about his ability, however time will tell.

My very strong belief is that he wasn't turned down and that Graeme Sharp subsatantially rewrote history in his favour when describing the sequence of events. I stress "belief"

I went last night,and I went on Saturday.

Let me tell you all right now this team is so lightweight its frightening.

LJ is getting it ALL WRONG. :censored:ing hell.

We are NOT a lone striker team,NEVER in a million years.WTF is he thinking playing JCH OR Rooney on their own I will never know and its a bit worrying that nearly half way through the season he is yet to realise this.

We have FAR too many lightweights in that team,last night there was-

Potrrasso ( 5ft 3)

Smith (5ft 6) Not a lightweight

Mellor (5ft 7) Lie

wesolowski (5ft 5) -Not a lightweight

phiiliskirk (5ft 7) Lie

And JCH who for his size wins an abysmal amount of headers. He got a number of flick-ons.

Added to that the defence is hardly land of the giants and you have a recipe for disaster. Kusunga, Tarkowski, Lanzoni and Grounds are small? Smallest in our defence is 6ft1. Are you Peter Crouch?

Mansfield looked dangerous EVERY single time they put up the high ball,mark my words we will get beaten by MOST teams with an aerial/physical threat and will get beat next tues at field mill. Remind me, what score were the matches against the most aerially threatening sides we've faced, Bradford and Mansfield?

I suggest crowds will start to dwindle very very quickly now,i took a friend last night who was bored out of his tree after about 40mins and wont be going back in a rush,esp when the club wants 20 quid for league games. Our league attendances have gradually improved through the season.

People cant rant and rave at this post all they like but we have big problems with this team,they are paperweight and IMO will get found out very quickly once opposing managers suss us out.

ps chesterfield were the better team last night we were utterly clueless going forward,like it or not,just like Saturday,..

Some posts like this actually make some legitimate points amongst the ridiculousness. This one, on the other hand...

It's all a bit silly.

I'm disappointed, not devastated.

LJ is getting lots right. But his desired "three different styles of play" seems limited to one in reality. Albeit a good one.

We were okay last night and would have beaten many League One sides. It was a far better performance than Saturday. Chesterfield were excellent first half and didn't let us settle. Good game plan and it rattled us. We didn't really have an answer for their five across the middle. The bench lacked positive options, but I'm unimpressed by Schmelz and his lack of delivery not to mention his ability to concede stupid free kicks.

We're not world beaters, but we're doing okay. And there's the promise of more.

It's ten games since we lost and I'm fairly sure the gap between us and the bottom four will widen. Room for improvement, but align your expectations to reality folks.