Worst ever away game following the 'tics

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed the word 'away' in the thread title by which time I'd typed the following:

The 1996/97 3-0 home defeat to Grimbsy (who were absolutely :censored: themselves) under Graeme Sharp. So soon after the Joe Royle adventure in the top flight, it was difficult to see where the downward spiral was going to end. They were two up after twenty minutes. People were throwing shirts and season tickets on the pitch and walking out in the first half.

Can't remember an away game as depressing as that. Dreary 0-0s at freezing cold York and Hartlepool weren't great though.

To be fair Mendonca was pretty good that day if it's the same game I'm thinking of. We were shambolic of course.

heavy defeats when we were really :censored:e both at the time or during the season seem to have been ten a penny. The Ritchie as manager years, the few seasons before the pinch-me era, The Dave Penney season that everyone would like to just scrub off the list.

But the one that really sticks in my craw badly was the play-off semi-final defeat to QPR. Had a tyre blowout in the fast lane of the M6 which fortunately I safely managed to steer the car across three lanes to the hard shoulder. I had no AA cover back then (first car, skint as :censored: etc) so I had to perform a tyre change on a roasting hot day with juggernauts passing by what seemed like inches away every 10 seconds. Then the rest of the journey down I drove like a vicar at 50mph absolutely paranoid that the spare would die on me and still rather shaken by the whole experience.

Finally get to West London with half an hour to kick off so couldn't enjoy a much-needed pre-match pint to settle the nerves. A game between two sides who were desperate not to lose, we go down to that Paul :censored:ing Furlong goal which took the roof off Loftus Road (what an atmosphere, I take my cap off to QPR fans still). Get stuck trying to get out of Shepherd's Bush surrounded by jubilant QPR fans and just wanting to cry/go home/turn into D-Fens in Falling Down. Car breaks down again at services near Oxford at about midnight so need to ask around for a push start. More paranoid driving, this time at around 30-40mph in the slow lane and I finally arrived home at about 5am. I never booked the next day off work rather foolishly so only have an hour and a half's sleep with the knowledge in my head that we don't play again for 3 months. The summer of Moore pulling out, the firesale, the buckets. That was just a horrible time and this match was the start of it all.

Anyone who manages to pick a different match either wasn't there, wasn't born or isn't in the right mind.

The Barnsley 4-0 wasnt the best, the only game I walked out on early and wasnt nice to hear the abuse Richard Butcher got (regardless of how rubbish he was).

The other one was about 10 years ago? Rushden and Diamonds away. think we lost 4-2, pee'd it down all game and was a horrid day taking about an hour just to move out of the carpark. No particular reason other than that though, was awful to watch

Worst away day for me was Reading in 1997, awful ground, awful pitch, awful fans, awful weather

Going one-down - Ritchie having a late penalty saved - Reading then making it 2-0 and sending

us down to this divsion where 17 years later we still reside..

Up to that point I remained convinced that we still had the squad to soon bounce back to the Premier

League.

A long coach journey home and reality sunk in that the glory years and good times were gone.

Anyone who manages to pick a different match either wasn't there, wasn't born or isn't in the right mind.

I was there alright.... the feeling was pretty gut wrenching.... however, for every day I have been present on this planet, I have never.... and hope never again, to feel as bad as I felt the day I had to endure that long journey back from Wembley in 1994.

Sharing the M6 with coach loads of jubilant, vile, disgusting Reds, following Mark Hughes' equaliser, watching them gesticulate as I gazed, sorry stared out of the coach window suffering from what I can only imagine must be close to post traumatic stress.

I knew that we wouldn't win the replay. I knew that all we had to focus on was staying up. I knew Monday morning at college would be hard work - listening to the plastic reds spout off - who hadn't been to London that weekend. I didn't know that this was the beginning of a painful decline, as staff and players too were going to find it difficult to recover from.

No Frankly Mr Shankly, I think I am of the right mind, I was definitely there [at both] and I'm most certainly old enough. This was my worst experience at a game away from BP.

Referring back to the 3-0 home defeat to Grimsby that ended Graeme Sharp's tenure.

I recall the third goal going in , scored at the Rochdale Road End , where we were sat in the large paddock.

The one moment in my decades as a fan that I was as happy as the opposition fans that they scored a third .

I felt straight away that it would be the straw that broke the camels back and that this horrendous period at our club was over.....and thankfully it was.

Losing 8-1 at Peterborouh in the late 60's wasn't a barrell of laughs. Ditto 4-0 at Torquay same time period. There's been so many. :grin:

That would be mine. 3-0 down after 5 mins.....5-0 after 20 minutes...think it was 6-0 at half time....

Bournemouth away 5-0 wasnt fun either...

Tranmere away around 2002 lived in Irlam at the time so only a quick hop up the M6 /56 & 53 sets fof with my six year old daughter for her first away game all going well untill bang piston lets go on the M53 oil all over the windscreen and roll to a stop . phone RAC to find cover has run out and they will only tow off the motorway to a place of safety manage to persuade the nice man to take us to Hooton station leave the car there and jump on the train . just miss one next in 30 mins gonna miss KO so wait things out train turns up 40 mins late so give up going to the game it then breaks down twice more before arriving at central decide to walk up to lime street from there big mistake get hassle and abuse of a load of scouse scallys untill rescued by some older scousres who run them off . now have a very frightened six year old whos tired finaly get to lime street to find weve just missed the train . meet up with some returning tics to here the news weve got battered 4-0 finaly get the train back to irlam at near midnight and have to carry my now sound asleep daughter the mile and a half home .

to say she rather enjoyed our victorys at that :censored: hole ever since is an under statment

heavy defeats when we were really :censored:e both at the time or during the season seem to have been ten a penny. The Ritchie as manager years, the few seasons before the pinch-me era, The Dave Penney season that everyone would like to just scrub off the list.

But the one that really sticks in my craw badly was the play-off semi-final defeat to QPR. Had a tyre blowout in the fast lane of the M6 which fortunately I safely managed to steer the car across three lanes to the hard shoulder. I had no AA cover back then (first car, skint as :censored: etc) so I had to perform a tyre change on a roasting hot day with juggernauts passing by what seemed like inches away every 10 seconds. Then the rest of the journey down I drove like a vicar at 50mph absolutely paranoid that the spare would die on me and still rather shaken by the whole experience.

Finally get to West London with half an hour to kick off so couldn't enjoy a much-needed pre-match pint to settle the nerves. A game between two sides who were desperate not to lose, we go down to that Paul :censored:ing Furlong goal which took the roof off Loftus Road (what an atmosphere, I take my cap off to QPR fans still). Get stuck trying to get out of Shepherd's Bush surrounded by jubilant QPR fans and just wanting to cry/go home/turn into D-Fens in Falling Down. Car breaks down again at services near Oxford at about midnight so need to ask around for a push start. More paranoid driving, this time at around 30-40mph in the slow lane and I finally arrived home at about 5am. I never booked the next day off work rather foolishly so only have an hour and a half's sleep with the knowledge in my head that we don't play again for 3 months. The summer of Moore pulling out, the firesale, the buckets. That was just a horrible time and this match was the start of it all.

well that was pretty depressing... what a er - :censored:e two days you must have had

Worst away day for me was Reading in 1997, awful ground, awful pitch, awful fans, awful weather

Going one-down - Ritchie having a late penalty saved - Reading then making it 2-0 and sending

us down to this divsion where 17 years later we still reside..

Up to that point I remained convinced that we still had the squad to soon bounce back to the Premier

League.

A long coach journey home and reality sunk in that the glory years and good times were gone.

I dont remember the weather being bad. I'm with you on everything else though!