Worst ever away game following the 'tics

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnsley under Ronnie Moore was pretty bad, 4-0 down after 10 minutes and one of our players flashing the V's at some of our fans.

But Norwich away under Penney sticks out in my mind, it took nearly 6 hours to get there, then we barely registered a shot on goal

Remember the Barnsley game we where shouting for Butcher to be sent off he was that bad

Wycombe away...need to check back on date but it was the one when Gary Kelly went berserk at us fans, threatening to climb into the stand etc

The majority of the away end booed the team off at h/t and chanted "you're not fit to wear the shirt".

Lowest dip in our post '92 history I could recall...was it the same season when Cardiff gave us a tonking on first game of season? Stitch in charge?!

QPR away in the playoffs was painful, bitter experience.

The worst end to a superb season that -

Drove over 800 miles to pick up tickets for the 2nd leg due to work

Rushed like a mad man to get to Loftus Road via Reading to pick up the now wife on that weekday night again due to work commitments in the day

Greeted the team bus

Chatted to Chris Moore in pub beforehand who gave that "whatever happens I'm here for the long rum, it's in my blood, well proud of the fans etc etc"

Wijnhard was rousing the away end

....and then we lost

QPR fans on tube back saying don't worry as we'd blow league away next season and go up automatically

....and Chris Moore then pulled the plug!

2-0 League Cup defeat at Old Trafford.

Game over after about 2 minutes as the fantastic new full back Big Joe bought (no wonder it went pear shaped with these top division purchases) went to sleep in the as McClair scored ......game over.

He was taken off straight after a shot from distance went for a throw in.

What really bothered me was in going yo see this rubbish , I missed seeing Nirvana at the Academy .....boo hoo

Oh I forgot Luton 3-0 a few seasons ago, when they were going down by Easter, we couldn't fill our subs bench and that loanee GK from Wednesday, O'Donnell I think, was in goal. There were family reasons why I didn't want to lose that one too.

3-0 down and down to ten men inside the first 35 minutes, was a real toss day.

Blackpool play off defeat in 2007. Was rendered even more painful watching a team that had blown away all and sundry up until New Year run so spectacularly out of gas. We limped into the play offs in no great shape and were just a spent force. Was so convinced it was our year after we ground out that home win over the Trannies, too.

Also, it meant I had to go to Blackpool twice in one season, which really, really f**ked me off.

Hereford for me it was dire....as memory serves It was 4 nill after 20 minutes, the streaker wearing walking boots running the length of the pitch was great

Hang on I've remembered a 00 against Luton in the premier league that was worse cos I had to travel further on theh bleeding coach

I heard that some of the team were playing with hangovers from being in the hotel bar the night before.

Missed the word 'away' in the thread title by which time I'd typed the following:

The 1996/97 3-0 home defeat to Grimbsy (who were absolutely :censored: themselves) under Graeme Sharp. So soon after the Joe Royle adventure in the top flight, it was difficult to see where the downward spiral was going to end. They were two up after twenty minutes. People were throwing shirts and season tickets on the pitch and walking out in the first half.

Can't remember an away game as depressing as that. Dreary 0-0s at freezing cold York and Hartlepool weren't great though.

Blackpool play off defeat in 2007. Was rendered even more painful watching a team that had blown away all and sundry up until New Year run so spectacularly out of gas. We limped into the play offs in no great shape and were just a spent force. Was so convinced it was our year after we ground out that home win over the Trannies, too.

Also, it meant I had to go to Blackpool twice in one season, which really, really f**ked me off.

Looking bad it's worse than it was at the time. We knew we'd faded badly and barely crawled over the finish line to make the playoffs and we big underdogs against the in form Blackpool. We lost but at the end we were out singing the Blackpool fans.

We were optimistic, we had reason to be, we had a solid team which just needed more depth, there was plenty of promise for the following season, little did we know at the time that we'd lose Porter, Wellens, Warne and pretty much Pogs.