Scoreline reflected the difference in quality in the end.

Missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st half and the pub switched on the game to show the Mansfield players celebrating. The next 35 minutes showed we were clearly the better team but we didn't dominate the way we should have. Had a feeling it was going to be one of those nights.

1st 10 mins of the 2nd half Mansfield were the better team which really surprised me as I thought they were going to sit in for the whole half. But a bit of Petrasso trickery earned us a free kick on the edge of the box and Danny P brilliantly curled in a stunning free kick. From then on the game was there for the taking and credit to the lads they didn't disappoint. Great skill by Petrasso again and he laid it on a plate for JCH. Great corner and header from Philly and Lanzoni respectively made it game over and the pen was a great confidence boost for Rooney and the icing on the cake, although I thought the Mansfield player was a tad unlucky to get a straight red.

Things that stood out to me:

Tarky, Grounds and Smith are the best defensive players at dispossessing players without diving in that I've seen at Latics for a long time. A huge reason why we get a lot of the ball.

Thought Mansfield were definitely physical but imo not cynical. The Wes incident looked to me like a mistimed header attempt rather than intending to knock him out. May be mistaken of course.

Petrasso made the difference at crucial times. Well done lad!

Texted my dad at ht saying that this was the half where JCH and Rooney needed to step up and make the difference. JCH was better but neither disappointed.

Winchester did well.

I think it's worth having Philly on the right so we can accomodate him, JCH and Rooney. All 3 deserve to play.

That's the 3rd time this season I've seen us score 4 goals away from home and it's not even Christmas yet! We aren't yet consistent but this team is not being build on foundations of sand. We were clearly the better footballing team tonight and on the odd occasions we click we are very talented. Fan patience could work wonders for this team.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Missed the first 10 minutes of the 1st half and the pub switched on the game to show the Mansfield players celebrating. The next 35 minutes showed we were clearly the better team but we didn't dominate the way we should have. Had a feeling it was going to be one of those nights.

1st 10 mins of the 2nd half Mansfield were the better team which really surprised me as I thought they were going to sit in for the whole half. But a bit of Petrasso trickery earned us a free kick on the edge of the box and Danny P brilliantly curled in a stunning free kick. From then on the game was there for the taking and credit to the lads they didn't disappoint. Great skill by Petrasso again and he laid it on a plate for JCH. Great corner and header from Philly and Lanzoni respectively made it game over and the pen was a great confidence boost for Rooney and the icing on the cake, although I thought the Mansfield player was a tad unlucky to get a straight red.

Things that stood out to me:

Tarky, Grounds and Smith are the best defensive players at dispossessing players without diving in that I've seen at Latics for a long time. A huge reason why we get a lot of the ball.

Thought Mansfield were definitely physical but imo not cynical. The Wes incident looked to me like a mistimed header attempt rather than intending to knock him out. May be mistaken of course.

Petrasso made the difference at crucial times. Well done lad!

Texted my dad at ht saying that this was the half where JCH and Rooney needed to step up and make the difference. JCH was better but neither disappointed.

Winchester did well.

I think it's worth having Philly on the right so we can accomodate him, JCH and Rooney. All 3 deserve to play.

That's the 3rd time this season I've seen us score 4 goals away from home and it's not even Christmas yet! We aren't yet consistent but this team is not being build on foundations of sand. We were clearly the better footballing team tonight and on the odd occasions we click we are very talented. Fan patience could work wonders for this team.

Have to disagree about the physicality - time and again Mansfield left the foot in or went in over the top - if the referee had clamped down early on we would have been more comfortable during the game - nevertheless it was a great performance in the second half - four good goals and a deserved victory.

Thought Winchester and Mellor showed how good they can be, hopefully silenced a few critics on here! Winchester especially held his own in midfield and Mellor looked controlled on the ball and played some good passes. Overall second half thought we showed our potential, bring on anfield...will McDonald be back by then?!

I'm not Oxley's biggest fan but I thought he was fantastic tonight.

The save at 1-0 kept us in the game and the stroke of genius from DP was the catalyst for victory.

A far from convincing performance (despite the scoreline) against a team more interested in kicking us off the park.

Can't argue with another trip to Anfield.

To be fair I thought Warnock and the other commentators were surprisingly good. Warnock sounded like he wanted us to win. He was quite scathing of the referee's performance as well as Mansfield's bully boy tactics.

Not sure why BT Sport is getting the bad press it is at the moment. Decent commentators, I quite liked Clem doing his Clem thing. I liked Dickov holding the brolly up for the 20 year old anchorman/boy. I even liked the little camera insets which appears when play was carrying on but a player was down or something. Getting an insight into their centre half having a hissy fit as he walked down the tunnel was gold.

Could he not have seen the incident back at ht?

Either way their lad should of walked in the first half. Thought it was extremely harsh to produce a straight red for that.

We were denied a goal-scoring opportunity. It definitely seemed more ball to hand, as well.

Whether the 'keeper would have saved it or not is irrelevant.

Edited by excharnwoodlatic

To be fair I thought Warnock and the other commentators were surprisingly good. Warnock sounded like he wanted us to win. He was quite scathing of the referee's performance as well as Mansfield's bully boy tactics.

Not sure why BT Sport is getting the bad press it is at the moment. Decent commentators, I quite liked Clem doing his Clem thing. I liked Dickov holding the brolly up for the 20 year old anchorman/boy. I even liked the little camera insets which appears when play was carrying on but a player was down or something. Getting an insight into their centre half having a hissy fit as he walked down the tunnel was gold.

Think I agree with all of this! Thought Warnock was the best pundit I've heard in ages, whether that was because he was slightly biased I don't know (or care) but he seemed dead on to me!

What a brilliant response to Saturday; Lots of credit to LJ - altering the tactics changed the direction of the game.

One thing we do need to sort out is learning to stay down when fouled. Every club does it - their player staying down was the reason JCH got booked and it wasn't even a foul. Lanzoni v Bradford, Wes v Brentford and countless times tonight, our players bounced straight up, making the fouls look not as bad as they are. Not cheating, just playing the game like everyone else...we need to be less nice!

Edited by JoeP

What a brilliant response to Saturday; Lots of credit to LJ - altering the tactics changed the direction of the game.

One thing we do need to sort out is learning to stay down when fouled. Every club does it - their player staying down was the reason JCH got booked and it wasn't even a foul. Lanzoni v Bradford, Wes v Brentford and countless times tonight, our players bounced straight up, making the fouls look not as bad as they are. Not cheating, just playing the game like everyone else...we need to be less nice!

I got the impression on Saturday that they were under instructions to stay down when fouled

Thought their Sunday league clogging centre half was lucky to be on the pitch to be able to hand ball it - definite pen, but no red for me.

The Ox pulled out a massive save to stop us going 2 down, from which we would not have come back. But I felt he was dragged way out of position for their goal and was glued to his line a couple of times again.

We strolled after we scored, but struggled to break them down despite having the lions share of possession prior to that.

The better team won.

Oh, and the BT coverage was good yet again. Far better than Sky's poor football league efforts.

Anyone think Rooney was useless yet again ? Apart from scoring the penalty he did zilch, I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table ? (Good penalty taker though)

Thought he put himself about well and did a decent, though not great, job of holding the ball up. Him and JCH were a lot more central than Philly and JCH on Saturday which made us more of a threat. Rooney reminds me a lot of Beckett and despite a poor 1st half of his season we all know how well he did in the 2nd half of the season.

Anyone think Rooney was useless yet again ? Apart from scoring the penalty he did zilch, I'm struggling to see what he brings to the table ? (Good penalty taker though)

Harsh calling Rooney useless.

Much needed game time as we approach the hectic Christmas schedule with Charlie Mac still out.

Great move from LJ to start him.

Expect us to continue with something similar on Saturday.

Much needed game time as we approach the hectic Christmas schedule with Charlie Mac still out.

I expect our front 2 on Saturday will be Philliskirk and Rooney as JCH will be banned thanks to him picking up his 5th yellow of the season tonight.

It just seems to me he can't be arsed, I think he's behind DP, JCH and Charlie Mac in terms of quality though, its just dissapointng to say he was one of our biggest signings this summer