Lies, Damn Lies etc

There appears to be common consent that we were not very good yesterday. The stats:

Shots 18-6

On Target 3-1

Corners 8-2

Possession 58-42

Fouls 7-17

Perhaps these can put stats discussion to bed once and for all - they prove nothing. There is only one stat that counts

I would say 18 shots, with only 3 on is pretty poo.

Missed the point i think. Stats are only useful up to a point. What's closer to a goal - the attempt that screams an inch wide with the keeper flapping at fresh air or the shot that is technically on target but which could be stopped by lobbing a cap on it?

Missed the point i think. Stats are only useful up to a point. What's closer to a goal - the attempt that screams an inch wide with the keeper flapping at fresh air or the shot that is technically on target but which could be stopped by lobbing a cap on it?

Very true. I HATE the phrase, "he has to work the keeper from there." Tame side-footer it is then.

There appears to be common consent that we were not very good yesterday. The stats:

Shots 18-6

On Target 3-1

Corners 8-2

Possession 58-42

Fouls 7-17

Perhaps these can put stats discussion to bed once and for all - they prove nothing. There is only one stat that counts

Have you seen the shooting practice before the game when there is no opposition in front of them. Most miss more than they score from a few yards out and only a goalie to beat. We just don't get behind teams, the wingers come inside rather than going to the dead ball line. It's been that way all season therefore they must be being told to do it that way. Our forwards and midfield players don't run at teams with the ball (Smith is the only one to do it against Mansfield and look what happened), or pick through balls, as Colchester did yesterday. Teams can defend all day if the play is in front of them. Defenders hate being turned and not being sure of their positions

Have you seen the shooting practice before the game when there is no opposition in front of them. Most miss more than they score from a few yards out and only a goalie to beat. We just don't get behind teams, the wingers come inside rather than going to the dead ball line. It's been that way all season therefore they must be being told to do it that way. Our forwards and midfield players don't run at teams with the ball (Smith is the only one to do it against Mansfield and look what happened), or pick through balls, as Colchester did yesterday. Teams can defend all day if the play is in front of them. Defenders hate being turned and not being sure of their positions

At the risk of being pilloried, is the coaching good enough?

At the risk of being pilloried, is the coaching good enough?

Elements of it certainly are. We pass exceptionally well. Certain players have improved markedly under Johnson's leadership.

But we don't break fast enough. We don't add numbers to the attack quickly enough. And the quality of our crossing has room for improvement.

It makes me think that what Johnson himself was good at as a player has been added to the team through coaching. It's the ball in the netty thing stuff that needs more work.

It makes me think that what Johnson himself was good at as a player has been added to the team through coaching. It's the ball in the netty thing stuff that needs more work.

We also have Lee Steele & Tony Philliskirk on our coaching staff. Certainly at least the former will be running some first team training sessions.

Elements of it certainly are. We pass exceptionally well. Certain players have improved markedly under Johnson's leadership.

But we don't break fast enough. We don't add numbers to the attack quickly enough. And the quality of our crossing has room for improvement.

main issue to getting forward quickly is that we have smith playing as a sweeper instead of 20 yds further up the pitch, to receive the ball from defenders not have him along side the centre backs, he has to make 60 yard runs if he want to join in attacks, he can,t to it, efforts on target and goals scored in the main issue for us, LJ needs to sort it asap or we are in trouble

The thing about Saturday was that it wasn't the best and it was a fixture we really needed to get something from. But in terms of the performance it has been similar to a number of matches we won this season. At Shrewsbury they scored from a mistake and nearly scored from another made at the back. But when we had clear-cut chances we took them.

I think at present bar maybe a couple of teams this league is wide open