2013 Memories

Matt Smith's equalizer - up there with Redfearns penalty, Ritchie's equaliser at Southampton & McDonald at Everton for me. I thought I was too old to go that mental.

Bacongate - does he still post on here?

Playing well at Preston but losing 2-0. I was convinced that was that and we were going down.

Bury away. The mind still boggles.

Getting in the shower on holiday 1-0 down to Forest and being 3-1 up when I got out.

The White Hart after Liverpool and Everton.

The ref for Sheff Utd at home. The worst of many terrible refereeing performances. Yes it's a hard job, but not that hard.

The Koukash saga. 20 odd pages for nothing.

The worlds strangest & most half hearted pitch invasion after beating Crawley to stay up & Barry's subsequent charm offensive on here.

Have we had that fine yet?

Bacongate as in Dickov making butties? Or the mental KFC-orientated load of tosh?

No, when the club started knocking out bacon butties to the Liverpool or Everton ticket queue and someone came on here all indignant that they weren't free.

It made the MEN if I remember correctly

Edited by HarryBosch

Personal highlight would be driving a minibus for Kilkenny to Naas at c. 110mph to get into a hotel bar in time to watch the home Everton game; Managed to get there 30 seconds before Obita scored.

Locals were a bit puzzled as to why a gang of Oldham fans were in their bar but not quite as puzzled as when witnessing the Guinness on the head dance after Smith's equaliser.

Edited by Dave_Og

Got to be the 2nd half at Forest. It wasn't just the 7 minutes of madness, it was basking in 30 odd minutes of glory comfortably beating the twice European champions wondering what the :censored: had just happened.

Sometimes football cant explain itself and the two Cup games that followed should of probably topped it for me but early january on the banks of the Trent is my latics memory of 2013

In most other years out of the 19 since we left the Premiership, Bury away would win hands down. The slightly lucky journey into Bury from where I live, the fact that I was in the best pub in Bury when all of them are serving alcohol, only for it to be the only pub at times still serving. Getting in, when others who arrived at the ground at roughly the same time I did, didn't get in. The weird fact that there were empty seats in the away end, despite Oldham fans being locked out, nevermind the empty seats elsewhere. Our winner, created by two players who looked destined for the scrap-heap, and scored by a third who some were discarding only a few short months beforehand, Mellor with a lovely slide-rule pass, Millar with a peach of a turn and Smith doing what he seemingly did time and time again in the first half of 2013 being in the right place at the right time to score. Queue 2100 Oldham fans going mental as one. The fact that we sent Bury down seemed to be karmic justice for the fact that they and GMP were too disorganised to ensure that everyone who wanted to see that game could do so.

However, in a year where we beat the 2-times Champions of Europe away having been 1-0 down at HT and seemingly going out of the cup. Then to beat the 5-time Champions of Europe who had a team worth 12x more than our entire club, with one of the best displays I've seen at Oldham in all my 25 years of supporting this club, from the pitch clearing efforts of fans and some staff members and their relatives to the minutest of touches that Bouzy got on that Gerrard shot to tip it onto the bar, that day will live long in memory. Plus I broke my personal drinking record too. Only to follow that up with a late, late equaliser by the returning beast of a centre forward who was later to go on to score some crucial goals to keep us up to get a vital in the grand scheme of things draw against the blue side of Liverpool too. Bury only makes the podium by the fact that I was there, having missed seeing us against Forest (probably for the best as I missed our 3-0 there a few years ago but saw us get beat either side of that performance).

A special mention to the game where we played the "best-footballing side in League 1" TM their annoying :censored: of a manager to stick one up at the aforementioned manager and the various pundits who were shocked by our sacking of our previous manager having only recently beaten Liverpool. No more so than his former Leicester team mate, who moved away from Birmingham to be nearer to his parents, especially his ill Dad, only to move to a side who are further away than Birmingham to his parents' house. Especially as all the pundits conveniently forgot about our run of 1 point out of 30, and they all blamed most of it on our low budget despite a side with a smaller budget eventually getting promoted.

To quote Clive Tyldsley, "they (Oldham) write their own stories here". In 2013 we certainly did, but unfortunately not all of it good, let's hope for a memorable and less negative 2014 too.

Edited by rudemedic

Matt's leveller against Everton will be one of my top football memories of all time - club and country - not just of 2013.

I feel that I should say that beating Liverpool tops it, but there was something about that goal against Everton that made me go completely barmy - like how I'd celebrate big goals when I was a kid.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more it's nailed on as my favourite football memory of all time.

(One thing I'll never understand is my reaction to that goal - I ripped off my jersey like the Incredible Hulk (a skinny pale version with no muscles) and let out a roar... But I never doubted the goal, not even for an instant... I usually always half expect a ref to ruin moments like that with a whistle for some offence or other, but despite the scramble for the header I knew we had done it... Fantastic stuff.)

I remember sitting with my head in my hands at half time at Forest and thinking how we had no chance.......then that 7 minutes...what a feeling!

The last minute goal against Everton.

Thinking we were doomed when we signed a rookie manager while in a perilous position...god, how he has proved most of us wrong!

Getting in at Bury and the gates shutting straight afterwards, leaving hundreds outside.

Have I missed anything??? Oh yeah, we knocked the 5 times European Champions and most successful side in the country out of the FA Cup....and when my 15 year old daughter looked at me for my approval for her to run on the pitch at the final whistle, I left her standing and jumped over the perimeter fence like a mad :censored: whilst attempting to pick Lee Croft up. Then walking out of the ground and getting myself on BBC North West shouting "COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS........." That has to be my greatest ever memory of supporting Latics!

Got to be the 2nd half at Forest. It wasn't just the 7 minutes of madness, it was basking in 30 odd minutes of glory comfortably beating the twice European champions wondering what the :censored: had just happened.

Sometimes football cant explain itself and the two Cup games that followed should of probably topped it for me but early january on the banks of the Trent is my latics memory of 2013

I don't get what everyone's talking about, those seven minutes were one of the worst moments of the season for me - I was in the home end trying not to celebrate.

2000 Latics staying after the game to cheer the goals being replayed on the big screen rivaled the goals themselves, great to watch. the grumpy Forest fans walking out were even laughing.

The milisecond of quiet as Wabara's header didn't go over the bar but nestled in the far corner(from those of us fortunate enough to be in the Rocky Road End , next to the Liverpool fans) .....before the explosion of noise as we lead Suarez , Sturidge , Sterling and co 3-1 was the best moment in 20 years imo.

And the half time disbelief that Matt smith had scored twice against the 5 times Kings of Europe .......at home , something he wasn't exactly known for.

The last 15 minutes of incessant pressure as a quality team like Everton buckled under it.