A 'Must Read' article

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the article. Even the "Keep the Faith" bit at the end.

It is an article that is written from the heart of a fan who is lucky enough to see more than the rest of us probably do.

Like you, I agree with what he has written..especially that damn 'Keep The Faith' slogan..it stands for everything that Mike Keegan suggests it does.

I agree with all of that but who exactly is it that isn't "sticking behind" the manager?

I'm pissed off with what's looking, at best, another fruitless season and, at worst, another season where relegation could be a real possibility but, I'm 100% behind Lee Johnson.

And Adam Rooney if he plays.

Being pissed off and being supportive aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree with all of that but who exactly is it that isn't "sticking behind" the manager?

I'm pissed off with what's looking, at best, another fruitless season and, at worst, another season where relegation could be a real possibility but, I'm 100% behind Lee Johnson.

Unfortunately I think there are many fans venting here and on Twitter who don't have the nuanced view you have.

It's frustrating we all get that I think. But I think most of us realized this year was one for the team to gel. And to find where it hasn't quite worked and tweak at the end of the season. For me this season Lj has a free pass this season unless we go down, I think we will stay up.

If your going away from games spitting your dummy out every time we lose and slagging players and management because we haven't challenged for promotion after just staying up last year then you only have your unrealistic expectations to blame. Infact there is a couple of teams down the road who tend to win most weeks you could go have your expectations met there.

Let's just see where we are in 12 months before we start with doom and gloom

But they're a minority. And a lot of it is tongue in cheek.

It's a good article but it's largely preaching to the converted.

They're a very vocal minority and it's hard to work out exactly how serious they are. Personally I find the relentless negativity as dispiriting as the unlucky results and poor performances, no matter how justified it might be.

I agree, I was thoroughly dejected last night, at yet another narrow defeat where Latics failed to find the net, despite the opportunities to do so. That feeling fades and the support remains, with thoughts of the next match.

Twitter was an absolute disgrace last night, the vitriol spouted at Rooney was shocking and embarrassing. He didn't miss the penalty, it was saved. The comments were a total overreaction.

Couldn't agree more.

OK results are not what we want or need at the moment but I don't think we will go down.

Every player has improved their all round game from last season even the Connor Browns of this world (:censored: that hurt to say, still :censored: though ahhhh better!) and at times we play some great football for this level.

The pessimists will tell you that we have not improved its still the same and we should panic. I say we are not that far away from being a force in this league.

A few more wise aqqcuasitions and another 12 months experirience for a young manager and next year we will be challenging no matter who else is in the division with us.

Confidence is key and players thrive on it. They don't become poor players over night. Most posters were positive when Rooney signed (probably over positive as usual) and if you believe the manager he is unlikely to be going anywhere so let's not bury him eh? Get behind him and keep the fa.....sorry stay positive

Every word is absolutely spot on.

That said, I am a little confused as to why there are comments on here and articles like that which say 'he's the right man for the job' etc. I'm sure I've seen people, rightly or wrongly (mainly wrongly), criticising things but does anyone (aside from obvious wind up merchants and the most fickle of fickle fans that all clubs have) think he isn't the right man for the job or things haven't improved on and off the pitch since LJ came in?

LJ does not, or should not, need to be defending himself or have people defending him. Madness.

They're a very vocal minority and it's hard to work out exactly how serious they are. Personally I find the relentless negativity as dispiriting as the unlucky results and poor performances, no matter how justified it might be.

The "we should expect to lose to Walsall" brigade were as bad, if not worse.

But they're a minority. And a lot of it is tongue in cheek.

It's a good article but it's largely preaching to the converted.

Those comments on Twitter were definitely not "tongue-in-cheek" and I don't see the article like that.

Maybe if just a few of those so quick to spout the venom at Rooney and Johnson took the time to read it and think upon it, they might think twice before mouthing-off their knee-jerk reactions all over the Internet.

I think this, from an article by a City fan, adds a bit of perspective to why football supporters are more vocal and this place & Twitter is so much busier when we lose than when we win. It's always been the way and always will be.

http://people.co.uk/6-reasons-city-fans-loving/

" It’s taken me a while to adapt post-2008 but I’m getting there. The problem is, when you are playing as well as we are at times this season there is absolutely sod all to talk about in the pub after. When we were sh*te it was great in that respect and I could spend hours and hours talking about what went wrong, who should be sold and who should be bought but none of that at the moment.

“Good showing wannit?”…“Yeah” – end of conversation. "

I try to avoid twitter during games and after with me not going last night as well as txts from mates I looked at it for updates.

Was shocked at some of the things I was reading some fans are just clueless at the sametime I feel some of are fans seem to live 24/7 on there which does help when they get all worked up.

Good article the World was not built in the day & it's the same with this team. The signs are very encouraging.

Win on Saturday last nights game will all be forgotten about.

Absolutely bang on that from Mike.

It wasn't just Twitter that housed OTT comments toward Rooney - it was all over here within 5 minutes of FT.

The toothless thread started, I believe, seconds before the game even finished, as though some people cant wait to stick the boot in.

I sometimes wonder whether people think we should be playing like Real Madrid every game and smashing all & sundry. We're in League 1, and have been for :censored:ing ages, for a reason. If people stopped hyping up their ambitions at the start of every season, or when you bring in a striker who is "apparently" on much more than someone else and you instantly think they should bag 30 a season and NEVER miss a penalty, and expect a rookie manager in his first managerial position to turn around an absolute pile of steaming dog :censored: of a side that we were last year to realistic promotion material almost instantly, then people's expectations may not fluctuate more than Ricky Hatton's weight.

Yes we're, again, flirting around the relegation zone, instead of being in the dizzy heights that Leyton Orient currently reside, but what seriously did you expect? I know LJ "mentioned" playoffs early in the season but, realistically, I think that was just an attempt at building confidence around the club, after hearing negative bollocks year after year about how we should expect a relegation scrap because our budget is :censored: bla bla bla.

The way I see it, whilst we're in no better position (table wise) than the Penney & Dickov years, the football more often that not is pleasing on the eye and certainly better than what we've seen since the Shez days. It's clear LJ is clued up. It's clear he has the team on his side. The one thing we're missing, IMO, is confidence in front of goal. IF (which is not easy to come by at this level) we had a 25/30 goal a season striker, I'd be pretty confident of being in the play offs right now. Rooney missed two sitters last night - that's not LJ's fault. He scores them, we win 2-1, and this forum is wanking itself silly again dreaming of the upper echelons of league 1. As it happens, he's seemingly devoid of confidence, we lose, and OWTB is in meltdown.

How daft is that given the fine margins?

Give it time - it will come.

and if it doesn't, then whinge away to your heart's contempt.

Every word is absolutely spot on.

That said, I am a little confused as to why there are comments on here and articles like that which say 'he's the right man for the job' etc. I'm sure I've seen people, rightly or wrongly (mainly wrongly), criticising things but does anyone (aside from obvious wind up merchants and the most fickle of fickle fans that all clubs have) think he isn't the right man for the job or things haven't improved on and off the pitch since LJ came in?

LJ does not, or should not, need to be defending himself or have people defending him. Madness.

The article does suggest otherwise, unfortunately. Which is well wide of the mark.

Absolutely bang on that from Mike.

It wasn't just Twitter that housed OTT comments toward Rooney - it was all over here within 5 minutes of FT.

The toothless thread started, I believe, seconds before the game even finished, as though some people cant wait to stick the boot in.

I sometimes wonder whether people think we should be playing like Real Madrid every game and smashing all & sundry. We're in League 1, and have been for :censored:ing ages, for a reason. If people stopped hyping up their ambitions at the start of every season, or when you bring in a striker who is "apparently" on much more than someone else and you instantly think they should bag 30 a season and NEVER miss a penalty, and expect a rookie manager in his first managerial position to turn around an absolute pile of steaming dog :censored: of a side that we were last year to realistic promotion material almost instantly, then people's expectations may not fluctuate more than Ricky Hatton's weight.

Yes we're, again, flirting around the relegation zone, instead of being in the dizzy heights that Leyton Orient currently reside, but what seriously did you expect? I know LJ "mentioned" playoffs early in the season but, realistically, I think that was just an attempt at building confidence around the club, after hearing negative bollocks year after year about how we should expect a relegation scrap because our budget is :censored: bla bla bla.

The way I see it, whilst we're in no better position (table wise) than the Penney & Dickov years, the football more often that not is pleasing on the eye and certainly better than what we've seen since the Shez days. It's clear LJ is clued up. It's clear he has the team on his side. The one thing we're missing, IMO, is confidence in front of goal. IF (which is not easy to come by at this level) we had a 25/30 goal a season striker, I'd be pretty confident of being in the play offs right now. Rooney missed two sitters last night - that's not LJ's fault. He scores them, we win 2-1, and this forum is wanking itself silly again dreaming of the upper echelons of league 1. As it happens, he's seemingly devoid of confidence, we lose, and OWTB is in meltdown.

How daft is that given the fine margins?

Give it time - it will come.

and if it doesn't, then whinge away to your heart's contempt.

:applause1: