Walsall Highlights

Good to see the whole team backed Rooney to score the penalty seeing as no one followed it in. I'm ready to be shot down but... his miss wasn't exactly the sitter I'd imagined from the forum comments. Sure he should have got it on target but there was still a fair bit to do. Looked a good game

It was hit powerfully and was going into the bottom corner, so well done keeper for guessing right!

The GK didn't guess, they had done their research on our PK takers. Rooney had put his 2 spot-kicks (outside penalty shoot-outs) there. It's just an example of our luck that by doing a half-arsed job of research the opposition got the outcome they wanted.

The GK didn't guess, they had done their research on our PK takers. Rooney had put his 2 spot-kicks (outside penalty shoot-outs) there. It's just an example of our luck that by doing a half-arsed job of research the opposition got the outcome they wanted.

Putting my pedantic hat on, he still guessed. An educated guess, but still a guess!

Saying that, any penalty taker worth their salt should be able to put a pen wherever they want. Always remember Shearer being good at that, a pen of his could have gone in any of the 4 corners or smashed down the middle.

Lampard gives me the :censored:s when he takes a pen for England - Classic penno one trick pony.

Putting my pedantic hat on, he still guessed. An educated guess, but still a guess!

Saying that, any penalty taker worth their salt should be able to put a pen wherever they want. Always remember Shearer being good at that, a pen of his could have gone in any of the 4 corners or smashed down the middle.

Lampard gives me the :censored:s when he takes a pen for England - Classic penno one trick pony.

Its a penalty, hes hit it pretty well, but at a comfortable height for the gk. Keeper has saved it without knowing where it will fall, more often than not, these penalties sneak in.

Shearer and Lampard have played numerous times for England and at the highest level. Adam Rooney has scraped a few games in the Championship. Im not saying you are amongst this crowd, but all Oldham fans expect Premier league football in League 1. And make comparisons with that. Hence why players like Rooney who are average goalscoring league one players at best (and all we can aim to acquire) are always expected to be world class, and when they are moderately average/:censored:, they are instantly picked on. We aint getting much better.

Its a penalty, hes hit it pretty well, but at a comfortable height for the gk. Keeper has saved it without knowing where it will fall, more often than not, these penalties sneak in.

Shearer and Lampard have played numerous times for England and at the highest level. Adam Rooney has scraped a few games in the Championship. Im not saying you are amongst this crowd, but all Oldham fans expect Premier league football in League 1. And make comparisons with that. Hence why players like Rooney who are average goalscoring league one players at best (and all we can aim to acquire) are always expected to be world class, and when they are moderately average/:censored:, they are instantly picked on. We aint getting much better.

I agree about expectations of fans. That pen was well struck and he could probably hit it exactly the same 9 more times and score each time irrespective of which way the keeper goes.

Saying that, I'm sure he has the ability to put a pen wherever he wants. He may have well done in the past, but form and pressure probably made him revert to default.

Note some excellent stuff from Harkins even on brief highlights, might not look the part but capable of doing what everybody feels we are crying out for.....that killer pass.

Dayton's ball for MacDonald was a beaut. The sort that Liverpool were sticking between our centre backs and full backs at Anfield.