Latics best ever penalty takers ?

Liddell was the best I've seen. As soon as the ref gave a pen, and we seemed to get a lot while he was here, we'd as good as scored already.

Richardson staggered run-up was entertaining, as was Baxter's dink (save for the miss against Bournemouth).

Interesting stats on Liddell, you can scroll through the seasons and compare him with others too.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/oldham-athletic/elfmeterstatistik/verein_1078_2006.html

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Fitz Hall stepping up in the last minute when no one else wanted to, to give us a 1-0 win. Can't remember the opposition but it was a good penalty.

Think that was Mansfield away. Great following that day I seem to remember. Not just numbers - support too.

The top three for me, in no particular order, were

Maurice Whittle. If the keeper was daft enough to get in the way, he'd end up in the back of the net with it

Andy Liddell. With or without the staggered run up, you just knew the keeper had no chance

Bobby Johnstone. He'd even point to where he was going to put it, frequently off the inside of the post, stick it exactly in that spot and the keeper still couldn't get to it

The top three for me, in no particular order, were

Maurice Whittle. If the keeper was daft enough to get in the way, he'd end up in the back of the net with it

Andy Liddell. With or without the staggered run up, you just knew the keeper had no chance

Bobby Johnstone. He'd even point to where he was going to put it, frequently off the inside of the post, stick it exactly in that spot and the keeper still couldn't get to it

Quote from Bernard Halford on Bobby Johnstone;

"He missed one penalty in the whole of his career­ against Exeter at Boundary Park when the ‘keeper moved early and he was so accurate that he could pop them in off a post".

Edited by BP1960

Who could it be apart fro Neil Redfearn.

Never missed one for Latics I seem to recall.

Most of them drilled hard and low to the keepers right.

Do I remember him scoring one in a 3-2 win against Swindon and it being ruled out for infrigement , with him then hammering the second one just as easily ?

You could argue that we were still promoted if he missed 'that penalty'.

But ....it is the greatest single moment in the clubs history since before WWI.

The place was heaving .....and he buried it just like all the others.

Our greatest ever midfield player , not just penalty taker ..........no wonder things started going pear shaped after he was allowed to leave.

Who could it be apart fro Neil Redfearn.

Never missed one for Latics I seem to recall.

Most of them drilled hard and low to the keepers right.

Do I remember him scoring one in a 3-2 win against Swindon and it being ruled out for infrigement , with him then hammering the second one just as easily ?

You could argue that we were still promoted if he missed 'that penalty'.

But ....it is the greatest single moment in the clubs history since before WWI.

The place was heaving .....and he buried it just like all the others.

Our greatest ever midfield player , not just penalty taker ..........no wonder things started going pear shaped after he was allowed to leave.

Great penalty taker and my greatest moment supporting Oldham was that day against Wednesday.

Great midfielder and was fantastic while here....but to say it went pear shaped after he left is crap. 3 years in the top flight and another FA Cup semi is not pear shaped.

He only had one good season with us in reality and was a bit part player the season before.I like many wished he had stayed but after one good maybe great season can anyone say he was our greatest midfielder ever? Maybe he was Barnsleys

I remember Fitz Hall stepping up in the last minute when no one else wanted to, to give us a 1-0 win. Can't remember the opposition but it was a good penalty.

I'm not sure it was that nobody wanted to - Eyres had been sent off, Wijnhard had been subbed and somebody else had gone off too. I think Fitz was genuinely fourth choice.

Think that was Mansfield away. Great following that day I seem to remember. Not just numbers - support too.

It was, Mansfield away. That's got to be right up there as one of my best ever away days. The atmosphere was incredible.

Lids for me, overall was disappointed with him at latics think he was one the wane but you would back him to score from the spot and looking back he was probably much better than a lot of players we have at the moment

How can you be disappointed with Liddell. Know of the best players we've had in recent years.

Lids for me, overall was disappointed with him at latics think he was one the wane but you would back him to score from the spot and looking back he was probably much better than a lot of players we have at the moment

Really? He was the reason Porter and Beckett scored so many goals for us...