Tarkowski. Do we need him back?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On yesterdays game, the answer surely has to be Yes, yes we do need him back?

Based on what? We conceded a goal from a corner, which has happened all season with tarkowski marshalling his defence, The rest of the time, we were pretty safe at the back, he wouldnt have made any difference to that game, unless he can make wind disappear? (He probably can to some on here)

ive heard the deal for tatky was 350k with 20

% sell on plus a nominal amount if brentford go up, what probably swayed it was the 4k + wages he is now rumoured to be on which is 4x what he was on with oldham plus a substantial signing on fee, cant say i blame him can you.

A kid who was awful up until this season was offered over 1k a week? Wonder what Bezzie Killers on.

Based on what? We conceded a goal from a corner, which has happened all season with tarkowski marshalling his defence, The rest of the time, we were pretty safe at the back, he wouldnt have made any difference to that game, unless he can make wind disappear? (He probably can to some on here)

Based on what you ask?

Based on the fact that he's a miles better player than both of the new players, especially Lockwood.

So, based on that really...

Behave : he had loads of chances under Dickov and was :censored:e. He was much better this season...

:censored:e is harsh and his chances under Dickov where the same as all the other young players - fits and starts - having had a sustained run this season he has shown what a useful player he is at this level - Maldini? No but useful.

That said, I didn't rate him last year

Edited by JWhite101

Behave : he had loads of chances under Dickov and was :censored:e. He was much better this season...

If you think he was :censored:e what did you think of JYM and Byrne who were the pairing when we managed one point out of twenty seven points when Dickov was in charge. This is where some Oldham fans don't give the young lads coming through a chance to develop and just slag them off, just like Mellor, Winchester and Miller. I back Tarkowski to prove these Oldham wrong.

im one of the few who likes mellor especially at left back, any kid needs a run of games but when a teams struggling for results they invariably are the ones who are dropped or singled out its the same in most teams winchester and miller seem to struggle and could do with going out to a lge1 or conf team to aid their development.

This, but said without any malice. He repeatedly did really poor things that cost us, and I feared he'd have no future at all. Others were bad too, but that isn't any excuse.

Superb this year though, all credit to him.

Heard a few things on the grapevine...

- Brentford have trebled his wages (there or there abouts)

- Tarky wanted to stay but he was forced out by Simon Corney

- He wanted to come back and only found out after training on Friday that he'd have to go straight to Brentford

- He only wants to play football, only interested in that, not about money or anything

- Wanted to stay local and staying at Latics would have satisfied him in that respect

The next few years will be really interesting with regards to observing Tarky and his level of progress.

He has clearly matured into an excellent league 1 centre half - I dare say motivated in part by the career trajectories of players such as Taylor, Furman, and most recently Mvoto. That said in his final month at BP there were clear signs of a lapse in form and application.

He has always been vulnerable to a player who can slide off his shoulder, which caused issues when paired with Mvoto who had a similar flaw. Hence a routine straight ball or basic cross could cause real issues which players of their ability should have been capable of dealing with.

Earlier on this season this had been (in the main!) addressed - as had a massive improvement in his conditioning - which made him stand out from the average given his comfort in possession. However of late we have conceded a number of goals that have been soft and in the second phase of play - as outlined by LJ!

So who is the real Tarky? The collosus that peaked against Preston to burst onto the national stage - or the slightly error strewn, somewhat lazy and frustrating model that preceded it. I don't think he has ever been :censored:, but nor is he the sure thing to progress onwards and upwards that has been claimed by some.

He must maintain the hunger that characterised his early season performances - I would fear for his development if he doesn't!!

Time will tell I guess!

Most of the recent criticism of Tarky on here has been a rehashed version of other stories. E.G. This second phase stuff

He was, at times, in the past left for dead by simply a straight ball which has caught him flat footed facing the opposition goal but he has addressed that, yes with coaching, so that he is more 'side on' on a regular basis. Taylor was potentially a good player, we all knew that but so was Tarky and he will be. He will go to much higher levels than M'Voto simply because he is a much better player, less one dimensional plus he is a ball player too which will stand him in good stead as he plays at a higher level. But please do not use the Furman correspondence, he was a con artist that a few fans fell for but I for one never did!

If Tarky had not been sold we would be a much better team with him.

The only reason I mention the players listed is that they have gone on to play at a higher level than ourselves in the recent past. As such I do think that this is a major motivating factor for a player like Tarky who is 'left behind' so to speak.

The criticisms of his play are pretty accurate in my opinion and I do think at times his much vaunted comfort in possession can be self indulgent. What characterised his early season carrying of the ball is that it led to a good and productive end product. Of recent weeks it has often been held onto for too long and has led to either a rash lunge or wasted pass.

For all this I do not want to sound overly critical as I agree with a lot of what you say and I do think the player deserves massive praise for his improvement this season. In fact, I have never seen a player improve so much and I wish him well!

That said, I don't see the guaranteed career projection that some feel is an inevitable progression. He has work to do and a lot to prove, as he has been bought on 3 excellent months of performance. As I questioned hypothetically, is that the true barometer of his level?

Edited by whitey1980

Heard a few things on the grapevine...

- Brentford have trebled his wages (there or there abouts)

- Tarky wanted to stay but he was forced out by Simon Corney

- He wanted to come back and only found out after training on Friday that he'd have to go straight to Brentford

- He only wants to play football, only interested in that, not about money or anything

- Wanted to stay local and staying at Latics would have satisfied him in that respect

Just as a matter of interest, how do you get someone to sign a contract when they don't want to?

Edited by sydneyblue

Just as a matter of interest, how do you get someone to sign a contract when they don't want to?

Using the fact that he wants to play football against him? Sign for them or we won't play you...

But, that would be Corney effectively picking the team and i'd imagine that LJ wouldn't stand for it.

If you think he was :censored:e what did you think of JYM and Byrne who were the pairing when we managed one point out of twenty seven points when Dickov was in charge. This is where some Oldham fans don't give the young lads coming through a chance to develop and just slag them off, just like Mellor, Winchester and Miller. I back Tarkowski to prove these Oldham wrong.

Also managed to keep Sturridge and Suarez pretty quiet

Based on what you ask?

Based on the fact that he's a miles better player than both of the new players, especially Lockwood.

So, based on that really...

He may be a better player all round, but judging it on last Saturdays performance isnt fair. I agree he would play if he was our player, but if he came back on loan for a month, I wouldnt bother, let the partnership thats conceded 1 goal in 2 games flourish.

I will judge this flourishing centre half partnerships when they have come up against a more mobile forward line than swindon or bristol have put out in the last two games, to be honest the weather conditions in the past two games have played into Lockwood and Wilsons hands far too early to judge them and for me we are lacking pace and savvy at the back brown,wilson,lockwood or tarky, kusunga and lanzoni, I know which 3 I would rather play. just my opinion.

I will judge this flourishing centre half partnerships when they have come up against a more mobile forward line than swindon or bristol have put out in the last two games, to be honest the weather conditions in the past two games have played into Lockwood and Wilsons hands far too early to judge them and for me we are lacking pace and savvy at the back brown,wilson,lockwood or tarky, kusunga and lanzoni, I know which 3 I would rather play. just my opinion.

You wont find many better than Baldock, Barnett and Emmanuel Thomas in this division.