JCH - was it handball?

ref must of had a good view cos we had a couple of good calls which he waved away, saying that he never gave us a free kick throw in or any sort of decision tiill he got a sarcastic standing ovation in about the 30 th minute from the home fans.

Yeah I thought it was a correct decision. If JCH keeps his arm still it's ball-to-arm. But he moves his arm just before the ball hits it. If it was a PNE player on his line doing it we'd be apoplectic.

I don't think it was strictly intentional. JCH was unlucky he moved his arm just as the ball comes his way.

Think the problem is no-one seems to have a clue what is actually handball anymore. Every referee sees the situation differently. Akpa Akpro last season at Tranny is apparently not handball, as well as Humprheys for Chesterfield against us in the JPT earlier this season.

With regards to yesterday, if JCH keeps his arm still it may have hit him anyways and then it's up to the referees interpretation of the situation to either give a penalty or not. As he moved his arm clearly towards the ball, he made up the referees mind. His sending off could be a blessing in disguise just for the one game as hopefully it gives us more of a chance to see what Turner can do.

blessing in disguise having our only real threat other than harkins in the stand !!! ive heard it all now I rate turner as one for next season but JCH carried that forward line over xmas and into the new year even though we had rooney on the wing, it really makes me wonder whether half of the people on here have watched us this season, one things for sure philly and charlie aint gonna keep us up.

By blessing in disguise I meant one of the forward players being out gives Turner a chance to show what he can do. JCH is the one I would want to be playing constantly but when him, charlie & philli are all available he isn't going to get a sniff....Just to clarify, I would much prefer one of the other two to be out!

Yeah I thought it was a correct decision. If JCH keeps his arm still it's ball-to-arm. But he moves his arm just before the ball hits it. If it was a PNE player on his line doing it we'd be apoplectic.

I don't think it was strictly intentional. JCH was unlucky he moved his arm just as the ball comes his way.

They did at Deepdale......the ref waved play on!!

Not that it has any bearing on Saturdays decision.

It is getting stupid now, I see the Man :censored:ty defenders today have all been taught to run with their arms behind their backs. What law means you should have to do that?

No law, but if you remove your arms from the equation you can't concede a penalty for handball.

True, but they should be able to run properly without fear. If the ball hits their hand then tough luck to the other side.

Yeah you're right, but from a players point of view if you can avoid giving the referee a decision to make why would you risk it? Particularly as with your arms pumping and waving in a running motion your hand/arm will inevitable make a movement towards the ball.

It's only the same as not diving into a tackle: if you don't make the tackle you don't give the referee the chance to give a free kick/penalty.

Referees are human after all, if there's a decision to be made there's a reasonable chance a mistake could be made.

Edit: As for Clarke-Harris on Saturday, I thought it hit his shoulder. However regardless of whether it did or not, the way he lurched towards the ball probably made up the referee's mind.

Edited by LaticsChris

Yeah you're right, but from a players point of view if you can avoid giving the referee a decision to make why would you risk it? Particularly as with your arms pumping and waving in a running motion your hand/arm will inevitable make a movement towards the ball.

It's only the same as not diving into a tackle: if you don't make the tackle you don't give the referee the chance to give a free kick/penalty.

Referees are human after all, if there's a decision to be made there's a reasonable chance a mistake could be made.

Edit: As for Clarke-Harris on Saturday, I thought it hit his shoulder. However regardless of whether it did or not, the way he lurched towards the ball probably made up the referee's mind.

What you're basically saying is that refs can't tell the difference between deliberate and accidental handball so players should run around with their hands behind their backs just in case? Not the same as not jumping into tackles.

What you're basically saying is that refs can't tell the difference between deliberate and accidental handball so players should run around with their hands behind their backs just in case? Not the same as not jumping into tackles.

Firstly, no, I'm not saying referees can't tell. I'm saying referees often find it difficult because it's a difficult decision to make in the middle of a frenetic game of football in which the referee is making a decision every few seconds, so why give them that extra decision to make?

Besides, I'm pretty sure leeslover was referring to when players throw their arms behind their back as they face up to an attacker preparing to cross the ball or shoot, not the full ninety minutes.

Firstly, no, I'm not saying referees can't tell. I'm saying referees often find it difficult because it's a difficult decision to make in the middle of a frenetic game of football in which the referee is making a decision every few seconds, so why give them that extra decision to make?

Besides, I'm pretty sure leeslover was referring to when players throw their arms behind their back as they face up to an attacker preparing to cross the ball or shoot, not the full ninety minutes.

Fair enough, sounded like we were going down the road of cuffing everyone's hands behind their backs!

I still think it shouldn't be necessary. If you put your hands up when facing a cross then you're risking handball. If they're by your side then it comes down to whether you've got time to avoid contact. Refs should be able to make that call.

Fair enough, sounded like we were going down the road of cuffing everyone's hands behind their backs!

I still think it shouldn't be necessary. If you put your hands up when facing a cross then you're risking handball. If they're by your side then it comes down to whether you've got time to avoid contact. Refs should be able to make that call.

Yeah, it comes down to whether you had the chance to avoid contact but also whether or not there's deliberate movement of the hand towards the ball. This is why I think the hand movement that comes with running can be misconstrued as deliberate handball.

Yeah, it comes down to whether you had the chance to avoid contact but also whether or not there's deliberate movement of the hand towards the ball. This is why I think the hand movement that comes with running can be misconstrued as deliberate handball.

True. It's a shame more ex players don't get in to refereeing. Would help with stuff like this and diving etc.