The shitstorm

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JCH was quite clearly injured/knackerd from the 75th min onwards I really don't know why we waited untill after they had scored in injury time to make the sub !

The lad was knackered. He'd put in a hell of a shift, played a key part in the goal and, for one so isolated, had created a couple of half chances for himself.

But he was gone. The ball was bouncing off him and he was no longer a viable outlet.

Lee Johnson has commented himself on JCH and his ability to last 90 minutes. To fail to at least assess the durability of your lone striker in such a crucial game is a massive oversight. MacDonald should have been on at 4.40pm, not 4.52pm.

If that happens, the ball stays in their half more, we don't concede as many dangerous free kicks and corners and we win the game.

The manager cost us two points today.

Yes there was. Why boo your team at the end we are all annoyed dropping points but no need.

Because the manager is dragging us down to the 4th division for the first time since.....in fact I don't know, i'd guess late 70's/early 80's???

Losing a generation of fans in the process...

At least we'll have 4 stands....wait a sec, wasn't the structure supposed to take shape in Feb, we're halfway through March.

Ok oK, i'll comsole myself with a pint in the Clayton Arms, wait a sec, no I wont!!

We were :censored:e.

First half we couldn't string a pass together. As relatively solid as we were in defence, you need players who can pass, and they can't. Midfield was lightweight and Crewe were dominant without troubling Rachubka. It was the worst I'd seen us under LJ by a long way.

Second half we were slightly better, but lets not pretend Harkins didn't carry us. JCH began to hold the ball up better and Wes drove us forwards. We generally played further into their half. Our system is suited to away fixtures.

We should've scored more before their goal, a 1-0 lead was always precarious seeing as though set pieces were their only threat - Rachubka never had to make a save.

By then Clarke-Harris was limping around, straining every run he made and we were virtually playing with 10. We had to make the sub. Their goal went in and we made the sub. It was too late.

Two very poor teams drew a very poor game. The regression continues...

We were :censored:e.

First half we couldn't string a pass together. As relatively solid as we were in defence, you need players who can pass, and they can't. Midfield was lightweight and Crewe were dominant without troubling Rachubka. It was the worst I'd seen us under LJ by a long way.

Second half we were slightly better, but lets not pretend Harkins didn't carry us. JCH began to hold the ball up better and Wes drove us forwards. We generally played further into their half. Our system is suited to away fixtures.

We should've scored more before their goal, a 1-0 lead was always precarious seeing as though set pieces were their only threat - Rachubka never had to make a save.

By then Clarke-Harris was limping around, straining every run he made and we were virtually playing with 10. We had to make the sub. Their goal went in and we made the sub. It was too late.

Two very poor teams drew a very poor game. The regression continues...

To be fair, I thought we were the better of two poor teams in both halves.

First half we played most of it between half way line and ten yards outside their box. Lacked creativity though.

To be fair, I thought we were the better of two poor teams in both halves.

First half we played most of it between half way line and ten yards outside their box. Lacked creativity though.

'Played' is a generous description of what was the first half.

Passing was non existent.

Strange Byrom came with the reputation of being a creative midfielder, yet he was playing well behind Wesolowski.

Today's line up with Clarke- Harris on his own up with no support whatsoever showed a frightened approach to the game, they got the point LJ will be satisfied with, but Crewe were poor and there for the taking with more attacking ambition in the awful first half.

Good job Harkins is here otherwise there would be no hope at all.

Man of the match Lockwood, Worrall a massive let down.

Edited by BP1960

Two awful teams in a pretty poor game from any point of view. Crewe were the worst opponent i've seen not only this season, but for years, which speaks volumes about our performance and team in general at the moment.

It didn't take a genius to see that we were playing far too deep in the first half, putting them under no pressure whatsoever, allowing them to knock it about between them with all the time in the world. The 5 minutes we did but pressure on them, they seemed to be crumbling and panicking. Not sure why it took a roar from the fans for us to start doing so.

It was a good job they were :censored:e, otherwise we'd have been punished early on. I havent been to many this season, but if its been like that every week it makes sense why we have conceded so many early goals.

Too many not interested today. It seems we have turned from a half decent looking side to one with no confidence, shape, identity or endeavour. McDonald said in the Chron this week that they are all 'fighting for their careers'. Didn't look like it. Morale looked at an all time low when the equaliser went in.

Compeltely agree with previous poster re 'wising up'. All successful teams in this division have a nasty streak, which we havent has for years.

On to player ratings;

Rachubka - Didnt have a great deal to do, but collected crosses well and did well on the few shots on target he did face.

Brown - The lad seems to have no confidence in his ability. Backed off their runners on numerous occasions. Took their full back on the few times he had a go but other than that he was quiet. Made a few decent tackles but thought he could have combined with Worrall better up the wing.

Lockwood & Wilson - Steady enough. Couple of clumsy challenges and laxadazical passes between them that could have cost us.

Grounds - Similar to the rest of the back line. Angered a few at the end when showing no urgency at all to take the throw in.

Wes - One of the few with a bit of passion today. Doesn't make much difference when your teammates don't follow your lead.

Byrom - Complete passenger. Didnt really notice he was on the pitch and probably could have played with 10 men. Midfielders like him a ten a penny in these leagues, with a few in our ranks already. Not sure why LJ has signed another. IF we did need a midfielder, its not another defensive one we need. Personally, I'd prefer to see Winchester in there.

Worrall - Pretty ineffectual, on his arse too much. For a lad with pace, i'd like to have seen him have a run at the full back.

Harkins - Showed great quality on the ball at times and bailed us out with the goal. Not great at tracking back, but you know what you're getting with him and hsi extra quality more than makes up for his shortfalls.

Philliskirk - Looked a bit lost at times and wasnt really sure what role he was supposed to be playing. Needed to be closer to JCH. Didnt think he had the rub of the green today.

JCH - Looked lost upfront on his own. When you are lumping the ball to him, who is he supposed to flick it on to? Himself? Made a few wrong decisions on when to pass/shoot but was good to see him be selfish in a way. Hell of an ask for someone as young as him to lead the line on his own.

The Manager - Two big things wrong today IMO. As mentioned, he got it wrong by playing so deep. Everyone else could see we needed to press after 5 mins and we could have controlled the game from there. Secondly, JCH should have been replaced by Charlie Mac after 80 mins. Everyone could see he was knackered and CM would have harrassed the back line like needed.

Having said all that, we had enough chances to win the game and should have killed it long before the equaliser.

We're in a battle and may stay up by default/other teams below being worse than us. Big few weeks coming up, and need to improve quickly if we dont want to be playing infront of 2000 in League 2 next season....

Strange Byrom came with the reputation of being a creative midfielder, yet he was playing well behind Wesolowski.

Today's line up with Clarke- Harris on his own up with no support whatsoever showed a frightened approach to the game, they got the point LJ will be satisfied with, but Crewe were poor and there for the taking with more attacking ambition in the awful first half.

Mom Lockwood?

Did well enough in open play but he is a penalty waiting to happen EVERY time we have to defend a set piece. He's always got his arms round the attacker. I thought at one point in the second half he was actually going to wrestle their lad to the ground.

Agree, Byrom was very deep. Worrall looks scared to run at the full back, worrying.

"It feels like a sucker punch because we played so well and defended so solidly throughout the game.

"Overall, there was some superb play from us - nice and solid and we broke well.

"There was a lot of good things and I think our passing was good on a poor pitch."

Johnson's comments on BBC...

If he honestly thought that was 'good', 'solid' or 'superb' in any way, it's time to give up. I won't be going to many more games if such mediocrity is accepted. It's heatbreaking to see how this club is going downhill so rapidly.

"It feels like a sucker punch because we played so well and defended so solidly throughout the game.

"Overall, there was some superb play from us - nice and solid and we broke well.

"There was a lot of good things and I think our passing was good on a poor pitch."

Johnson's comments on BBC...

If he honestly thought that was 'good', 'solid' or 'superb' in any way, it's time to give up. I won't be going to many more games if such mediocrity is accepted. It's heatbreaking to see how this club is going downhill so rapidly.

LJ is in a world on his own if he thinks the passing was good, the first half distribution was as poor as Iv'e seen from any Latics team in over 50 years.

Too many ridiculous viewpoints to tackle them all, but Crewe weren't dominant at any stage, Byrom did fine, certainly better than anything Smith has served up this year.

And yet I thought Byrom was way too deep, and his passing was a bit hit and miss, all about opinions I suppose.

Too many ridiculous viewpoints to tackle them all, but Crewe weren't dominant at any stage, Byrom did fine, certainly better than anything Smith has served up this year.

You mean better than someone who's been consistently one of our better players all season apart from the last 2 months where he's been struggling with injuries? Ok.

Edited by LeylandLatic

And yet I thought Byrom was way too deep, and his passing was a bit hit and miss, all about opinions I suppose.

I got the impression he hasn't played as a holding midfielder before.

Edited by BP1960