Steaua Bucharest

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't let the Chron reporter in, I think their security should be working for border control.

They're much too uncompromising for Border Control. Last time I came back into the country the bloke on duty noticed from my passport that I was born in Oldham and started talking about football. That's the last thing the F.A, security staff at St. G's P want to talk about.

I went there on Tuesday night to watch Steaua play Ludogorets Razgrad, the Bulgarian Champions. The match had been advertised on both clubs' web sites and there was no mention of it being behind closed doors. However, the game was to take place on the 'Wembley' pitch, used by England, and the F.A. security staff were out in force preventing anyone from getting within site of the pitch. There were about a dozen fans trying to get in, about six supporters of each club, two of them young kids in Steaua kit with their parents. The Bulgarian fans talked to their club's officials and one of the players, saying they had traveled for five hours to get there. But there was nothing that the officials could do to bend the prohibition, while sympathising with the fans.
I went again today, this time with the family. I parked the car within a goal kick's length of the pitch. We had lunch and I talked to Neil Adams, who was there with Norwich City. We saw Latics' players and officials, but when it came to trying to get close enough to watch the match, we found it impossible to breech the tight security net.
Here are some pictures and videos from my misadventures:

They're much too uncompromising for Border Control. Last time I came back into the country the bloke on duty noticed from my passport that I was born in Oldham and started talking about football. That's the last thing the F.A, security staff at St. G's P want to talk about.

I went there on Tuesday night to watch Steaua play Ludogorets Razgrad, the Bulgarian Champions. The match had been advertised on both clubs' web sites and there was no mention of it being behind closed doors. However, the game was to take place on the 'Wembley' pitch, used by England, and the F.A. security staff were out in force preventing anyone from getting within site of the pitch. There were about a dozen fans trying to get in, about six supporters of each club, two of them young kids in Steaua kit with their parents. The Bulgarian fans talked to their club's officials and one of the players, saying they had traveled for five hours to get there. But there was nothing that the officials could do to bend the prohibition, while sympathising with the fans.
I went again today, this time with the family. I parked the car within a goal kick's length of the pitch. We had lunch and I talked to Neil Adams, who was there with Norwich City. We saw Latics' players and officials, but when it came to trying to get close enough to watch the match, we found it impossible to breech the tight security net.
Here are some pictures and videos from my misadventures:

It's so pathetic end of the day it's 22 men kicking a bag of air about. I don't know why they have tried to make it out as NO ONE CAN WATCH THIS GAME.

Good pics Diego, did they have guard dogs straining at the leash ?

Good pics Diego, did they have guard dogs straining at the leash ?

I think dogs would have been too scared to go near the security!

We tagged on with a group of young kids and guardians, who were on a guided tour, taking pictures - that's when I was able to get the pics of the players warming-up - but the security bloke came over and told the guide (who was in full-flow, explaining about the Wembley replica pitch) that the kids weren't allowed to look at the players on the pitch. The guide was visibly flabbergasted, before she carried on with her talk.

Perhaps Barry Owen can do something on behalf of the fans and request a stop be put to these behind closed door games - which will now become even more frequent with the loss of the reserve team fixtures.

Keeping fans away from watching their team is not only frustrating, but smacks of 'we couldn't care less about fans'.

Edited by BP1960

Perhaps Barry Owen can do something on behalf of the fans and request a stop be put to these behind closed door games - which will now become even more frequent with the loss of the reserve team fixtures.

Keeping fans away from watching their team is not only frustrating, but smacks of 'we couldn't care less about fans'.

They asked us to play them behind closed doors and we said yes. Can't really see what the issue is myself.

Can only think that it could have been at the request of Steaua. Stinks though.

Maybe, but the club played several reserve team games behind closed doors last season and with the demise of the reserves league I expect even more in future.

At one time entry to second team matches was free for season ticket holders, but now that's gone.

What have the club to hide from fans by playing behind closed doors?

They asked us to play them behind closed doors and we said yes. Can't really see what the issue is myself.

Its an issue when the reserves will be doing that this coming season as LJ indicated.

Incidentally, why are there stands the St Georges pitch if no fans are allowed ?

Edited by BP1960

I suspect it was the stuffed shirts of the F.A who insisted on it being behind closed doors and not Steaua as they have a large fan base with many friendlies covered on live TV.

As Diego says some fans came over from Bucherest for this match and were refused entry, which is disgraceful.

Even the Chron reporter couldn't get in.

Edited by BP1960

I suspect it was the stuffed shirts of the F.A who insisted on it being behind closed doors and not Steaua as they have a large fan base with many friendlies covered on live TV.

Good point. The FA wouldn't want a large number of the UK's Romanian population rocking-up, making the place look untidy.

Incidentally, why are there stands the St Georges pitch if no fans are allowed ?

People have been pictured in there, perhaps guests of the F.A.'s partners.

http://b.squaremeal.co.uk/include/images/content/C9/1307_St-George%27s-Park-training_-_Copy@gallerymain.jpg

BTW, of the many times I've driven into St. G's P, the entrance/exit barriers have never been manned. They weren't today when we arrived, but the barriers were down when we left. Perhaps the security level for Latics is the same as for a royal visit.

Good point. The FA wouldn't want a large number of the UK's Romanian population rocking-up, making the place look untidy.

People have been pictured in there, perhaps guests of the F.A.'s partners.

http://b.squaremeal.co.uk/include/images/content/C9/1307_St-George%27s-Park-training_-_Copy@gallerymain.jpg

BTW, of the many times I've driven into St. G's P, the entrance/exit barriers have never been manned. They weren't today when we arrived, but the barriers were down when we left. Perhaps the security level for Latics is the same as for a royal visit.

You should have told them you were the Prince of Wales with family Diego. :)

Only some Latics fans could turn a behind closed doors friendly into a whoa is me situation.

Blah blah blah the club hates the fans blah blah

It's the principal of keeping fans from watching the team they support. LJ has said he will be doing it this coming season for reserve games, why not play matches at grounds where fans can see them, what's there to hide?

Edited by BP1960

It was announced as a behind closed doors friendly well after all official friendlies had been announced. What's the issue?

Mountain out of a mole hill as usual. Its a friendly. As for any official league matches, or reserve matches. Let's see how things pan out eh?

It was announced as a behind closed doors friendly well after all official friendlies had been announced. What's the issue?

Mountain out of a mole hill as usual. Its a friendly. As for any official league matches, or reserve matches. Let's see how things pan out eh?

What amazed me was the Chron reporter not being allowed in.

It's the principal of keeping fans from watching the team they support. LJ has said he will be doing it this coming season for reserve games, why not play matches at grounds where fans can see them, what's there to hide?

It's a behind closed doors friendly because of where it was played. It was played there because that's where the opposition are playing their games ahead of the Champions League campaign.

It was the first pre-season friendly of the current set, the rest of which we can turn up in our tens of thousands.