Seven or eight to come in?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the who we've got signed up thread, we look quite low on numbers, especially when we're waiting on Brown and maybe Wes on that list.

I suspect though it will be 3 or 4 quality additions and then maybe younger developing players such as Kissock to come back.

But... What do we know? Haha

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/oldham-athletic-could-sign-three-7216873#.U48z_4PojMM.twitter

I'd much rather we made 3 quality additions and pushed the boat out to keep Smith, Clarke Harris & Wesolowski than throw this amount of probable :censored: at the wall.

I'd say 6 sounds about right, replacing Grounds, Worrall, Harkins, Byrom, Wes & Charlie Mac.

Re-sign Brown plus 5 or 6 sounds about right to me...Midfield is our biggest area to build on with only Korey a starter and Dayton back up for LM/RM. This will be key to supporting our forwards and getting more goals this season!

RM

LM

CM

CM

LB

ST

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/oldham-athletic-could-sign-three-7216873#.U48z_4PojMM.twitter

I'd much rather we made 3 quality additions and pushed the boat out to keep Smith, Clarke Harris & BROWN than throw this amount of probable :censored: at the wall.

Probably just paper talk but 6 will be needed, well 5 after Mills now!

appreciate we need to sell to survive, but maybe 1 a season for a decent fee

To lose both Smith and JCH just punctures a hole in all that is positive at the moment

It also raises the spectre of 'why bother'?

Why should LJ spend time scouting players, young ones at that in JCH and slowly get a good group together for them to be sold on within 1 season??

If we sell and sell and sell, we will only go one way

All those thinking of a season ticket/attending more games will see our best 2 players BOTH being sold and it just goes to service their cynical and negative opinions on Latics as a club and vindicates the saying 'and they wonder why fans don't turn up?'

And it's hard to argue otherwise

Smith I can accept as i doubt he will sign another contract, but JCH is 19 and has had ONE season with us!!

I hope to god he turns round and says he want's to stay and play games/repay LJ

Lets say we get £400k for Smith and £300k for JCH - will LJ be allowed 3-400k of that to go and buy a few players and adequately replace these 2?

Likely answer is NO and so the cycle continues

I mean Baxter, Tarky, Smith, JCH all in the space of 10 months + a lucrative cup run 2 seasons running?

There is a balance to be had between selling and reinvesting/being ambitious and we appear to have none of the latter when it comes to the team, assuming they are sold.

Maybe our views as fans are not helped by us not knowing the ins and outs of transfer, agents and what actually goes on; maybe then would we be able to re-evaluate and appreciate reasons why sales are done, be it financial or other reasons in some cases.

However, we only ever have news articles and rumours to go off so only ever hear about the sale side and just see it as 'there we are, another one sold'

Please prove me wrong Latics!

Edited by shefflatic

Whilst Sheff Latic makes some very good points, however, Arsenal, the team SC supports let's not forget, regularly sold their better players whilst they were still paying off their new stadium, now their stadium has been paid for and thereby increasing their takings, they are spending money.

Our situation is not too dissimilar.

I'd like to hang on to our better players as much as the next person but, after what we've faced in the past, is having a manager who seems to be able to sign/develop a few players every year then sell them on for a few hundred grand such a bad thing?

A few years of that and we'll be in a far healthier position, if he can keep it up.

Look what happened last time we were able to do this for a few consecutive seasons under Royle......

problem is by the time the stands completed and paid for we might have another 2 or 300 less fans coming through the gate if smith and jch are both sold we are being sold down the river, our luck nearly ran out last season and we are promised that we are building for the future all these contracts are doing is making players more of an asset the playing side of the club always suffers the only fans left are a couple of thousand of us stupid enough to put up with it and a few hundeed kids on 10 quid season tickets, thats not buisness thats whats killing us.

I really hope we don't sell Smith because with him sitting in front of the likely back 5 (keeper and defenders) would make us very difficult to break down and make us very likely to finish in the top half imo. But I could see why Smith would go as he could do better than us and selling him could cover a decent amount of next seasons running costs.

Selling JCH would be daft for us and him, probably for the buying club too unless they understand how he should be utilised. He's at least a year away from making a consistent goal-scoring impact at this level and has a lot of aspects of his game that need improving. At the wrong club for the wrong reasons there's nothing to stop him from dropping to League Two or below with the reading of the game he currently has, he needs to be a manager/coaching team's project at present rather than just another player in the squad.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Has LJ been told he has to sell one or both of Smith and JCH?

If not and we don't need to then isn't it better to retain on strength on the pitch to increase our chances of progress, possibly promotion?! If LJ believes he can strengthen further by selling and reinvesting most or all the income then I trust LJ to do what's best.

If we have to sell to fund the stand then are we guaranteed great income via the stand or promotion, cup runs and possibly selling one or both later in the season/end of season?!

Obviously if their heads are turned then this may force our hand but if they're happy but we still decide to sell then the club owe it to us fans to be honest on the motives and how the income is to be reinvested.

Whilst Sheff Latic makes some very good points, however, Arsenal, the team SC supports let's not forget, regularly sold their better players whilst they were still paying off their new stadium, now their stadium has been paid for and thereby increasing their takings, they are spending money.

Our situation is not too dissimilar.

Apart from the spending money part

This season i don't think we are selling to survive. We are selling to build a future. There's a £1.2m gap to be plugged on the stand, and if we can plug it with selling 2 players, good! Protects our future.

This x1000.

As long as we don't go down, the completion of the stand will do more for our club than hanging onto Smith and JCH.

Those two players are not going to guarantee promotion and whilst JCH did well in his last ten games, he only scored six league goals last season, starting 23 league games and sub in a further 17. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and I know he is only young but if someone waved £400k with a 20% sell-on clause, I would snatch their hand off.

Re the stand - have we forecast what income we expect against initial spend to understand ROI in comparison to not developing and investing on the pitch to boost chances and increases attendances housed within our existing stands?

The new stand was a no brainer for me but if we are selling to fund and weakening on pitch then lower attendances may not be addressed through off-field incomes, which are probably being used to pay back development costs of the stand.

Would be interested to know what playing budget this season is compared to last season and season before plus clubs plans on whatever income we derive from player sales and success exceeding clubs season expectations. Is it ploughed back into on-field, split or wholly used to cover debts?

Granted we don't gave a right to know but such plans should be shared if reliant upon fans putting STs and expecting progress.

Patient on new signings but absence of news on the new shirt, this SD sponsorship etc and focus on the stand (albeit great news) does give impression that playing side and immediate progress on commercial side is taking a back seat...or I'm subconsciously impatient for news as it's a sloooow close season so far