Who were the last three GREAT Oldham players?

Agree with most of that. However, how can nobody come near to them and then you name three players who were close...

Sorry, age creeping in and knackered even at 9.30pm.

Post Big Joe's era, there's even more greats - I forgot to add Dux too. Thinking about it, who would be everyone's best XI since the early 90s great side that won the league? You can't include any of those players plus can't include loans but just permanent signings.

Mine -

GK - Pogs

LB - Chris Armstrong

CB - Fitz Hall

CB - Clint Hill

RB - Kieran Lee

LW - David Eyres

MF - John Sheridan

MF - Richie Wellens

RW - Paul Murray

CF - Lee Hughes

CF - Chris Porter

7 Subs - Gary Kelly, Baxter, Tarkowski, Josh Low, Vernon, Kuqi, Duxbury

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The undisputed team of the last 15 years would be as follows

Pogs

Eardley

Hall

Gregan

Armstrong

Taylor

Stephens

Wellens

Sheridan

Eyres

Hughes

Anybody who disarees ain't nothing but a fool

swap Eardley with Kieran Lee

My dad still goes on about how good Johnstone was

Your dad is a wise man. Bobby was past his best when he arrived at Latics, but he just oozed class. I still have flash backs of things that I remember him doing. Apart from being a very special footballer he was a fantastic character, he always reminded me of Charlie Drake (ask yer dad) with football boots on. I am feeling emotional just writing this about the great man. How many of todays players will make people feel this way 54 years on?. Yes Bobby Johnstone was very very special.

josh low? is there nobody left? if there's room for low theres room for warne

I liked Low and his games against Northampton at Sixfields was brilliant during the Dowie era. Pace on right, chipped in with goals and one that sprung to mind

I've always had a soft spot for CM.....cant believe there has been no mention of Henry (Still get a hard-on at the flashbacks of his goal against Arsenal), Gary McDonald was quality in the shortish time he was here, NEIL REDFEARN is just there for his goals per season ratio from midfield, Paul Bernard???

However if I Had to pick 3 from my time it would be

Andy Ritchie

Denis Irwin

Richard Jobson (used to love how he bossed the big No.9's of that era Ferdinand etc, never seems to lose a header and scored his fair share)

Ancient history

1. Bobby Johnstone. It is such a great shame there was no video back then. It is impossible to describe adequately his skill. Overweight, unfit, probably a few pints before the game but still in a completely different class to the rest of the players back then.

2. Ian Marshall

3. Simon Stainrod

More recently

Eyres

Shez

Gregan

Ancient history

1. Bobby Johnstone. It is such a great shame there was no video back then. It is impossible to describe adequately his skill. Overweight, unfit, probably a few pints before the game but still in a completely different class to the rest of the players back then.

2. Ian Marshall

3. Simon Stainrod

More recently

Eyres

Shez

Gregan

Where's Stitch? I never saw BJ but have heard the older generation eulogise about him, however none of the others are fit to iron Sir Andrew's jock strap.

I'd throw a Clyde wjnhard in upfront and drop Hughes to the bench. Have we ever had anyone physically stronger than big Clyde ? He could give a masterclass on how to shield the ball and hold it up !

he had his best goals/per game ratio in his career for us, 13 in 30! always thought he played and scored more then that, but loved watching him play

No they are not. Thats my point, People may be a fan they may love a certain player and they may have been a great servant but in the context of the clubs history they are not club greats.

I knew what you were saying. Club greats is subjective and anyone who's not seen you're 3 play cam hardly be expected to vote for them.

Beg to differ anyway but Sheridan, whilst enjoying no success here as a player and being surrounded by absolute donkeys, was an absolute pleasure to watch for 3/4 seasons. To me, he was a great.

for someone who has been going to Latics for the last 25 years "my" greats are..........

1. Denis Irwin

2. Richard Jobson

3. Ricky Holden

if I was talking about the last 10 years

1. David Eyres

2. John Sheridan

3. Jose Baxter (just for the 2nd half at Forest)

Groves

Stainrod

Ritchie

Only 3 real greats I've seen in the last 40 years

for someone who has been going to Latics for the last 25 years "my" greats are..........

1. Denis Irwin

2. Richard Jobson

3. Ricky Holden

if I was talking about the last 10 years

1. David Eyres

2. John Sheridan

3. Jose Baxter (just for the 2nd half at Forest)

Iirc he didn't score straight away and there was an A frame ad board saying wjnhard: " I will score goals " then he was just popping em in for fun. And his goal against Huddersfield and consequent celebrations after less than a min ?? After their fans giving him dogs abuse about a lack of an arm during the warm ups. Ahhhh the karma...... Brilliant