Can anybody explain the point in narrowing the pitch? I am sure there is a good reason and explains our lack of wingers. Last night when we had possession we did a lot of short passes but never seemed likely to build anything. The result tended to be- pass pass pass loose it, or pass pass diagonal hoof loose it. There never seemed to be an option to get the oppo turned round. It seemed to inhibit us far more than boro.

I am no tactical genius and await insightful comment to explain that I have it wrong, from the learned posters.

Pitch size is irrelevant when you have players on the team who prefer to pass to an opposition player than a teammate.

The narrowing of the pitch by a yard seems to have affected Mill's radar judging by the number of times he put the ball into touch.

Win the next 5 games and it's a genius decision, lose them and it's idiotic.

Reality is that it makes no difference and if he hadn't mentioned it then nobody would be any the wiser.

Are you allowed to change it a back though after 5 losses? :wink:

Sussed it out, last season we were hitting corners to the near post as our players couldn't kick the ball any further, now they will be perfect.

Also, the opposition were sending across perfect corners, but will now be over hitting them, you know it makes sense. :wink:

Win the next 5 games and it's a genius decision, lose them and it's idiotic.

Reality is that it makes no difference and if he hadn't mentioned it then nobody would be any the wiser.

What about 5 draws? Idiotic Genius? Edited by hollandspies

And some of those that were caught by peeps in the Main stand lower would have still been out last season , lol.

Balls into the paddock are nothing to do with 'the narrowing of the pitch'. They are the result of, generally, a ricochet, defensive hoof or poor execution of a pass. Mills had a poor game - it happens, but the thread isn't about that.

Balls into the paddock are nothing to do with 'the narrowing of the pitch'. They are the result of, generally, a ricochet, defensive hoof or poor execution of a pass. Mills had a poor game - it happens, but the thread isn't about that.

Exactly a pass down the line being in or out has nothing to do with where the line is now,or where it was last season.

A good pass down the line is played by someone who knows where they are stood relative to where the line is. It didn't move after any of the passes were executed.....I like Mills and think he will get back his form, it was not a pop at him.

You are totally missing the tongue in cheek point of my original post. The clue is in my reference to 'seeing more goals'- Middlesbrough, goals.

I suggested in a earlier thread on width reduction it would be impossible to tell whether it made any difference to the teams performance. LJ, who I like, also made a comment about seeing more goals.

The two points I have made here are verifiable facts, but not in a good way. I am reasonably happy to go along with the width shortening but I still don't think I will be able to judge its success - even if we do well.

Edited by mikeroyboy