Latics 1-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody else noticed the imaginary player Connor Brown takes on whenever he brings the ball out of defence with space in front of him?

This isn't Connor bashing from me, but the thing I've noticed is this:

When he's playing towards the RRE, so is side by side with our bench - whenever he does anything; anything at all - a pass / tackle / run & cross...whatever - when he's running back to position; he's like an excited puppy seeking praise from their owner after chasing after a ball in the park. He always looks to the bench for approval or seemingly a kind word:

It's like he's looking for a "well done Connor, who's a clever boy, good boy"

Have a watch next game. It's quite funny. he does it all the time.

To link this back to not being a Connor Bashing post, I thought he did well last night, one of the better performers from us. They targeted him with the tricky Marshall, and looked to get Pope onto him at times too, and he stood up to it. He was also not being helped by the 1st half tactics of LJ / TW asking Winchester to basically :censored: off the right hand side and play 20 yards inside; which meant Brown had to do the work of 2 players for 45mins. I thought he did well...

You are not allowed to stand in a seated stadium, what do you want the club to do?

From the club's Ground Regulations:

"13. Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140719-ground-regulations-1769316.aspx

Thought we did enough to sneak the win yesterday, even though it was a game between two apparently very average sides. Shame we didn't get the winner as it would've sent us into the Preston in high spirits and probably added another 2 or 300 in the away end.

3 league games in so there's no panic button to be pressed as of yet but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think we were heading for a slog again.

Seems to be an element of 'hit and hope' with Johnson's tactics already though which is worrying. If something's not working bit he's got faith in it, he should stick with it for a bit. Instead, he makes changes week in week out in the hope things will fall into place (as he did for the majority of last season).

Seen two games now and we have the signs of a common affliction in our recent history....a team that doesn't really know each other starting the season.

Endless changes of manager and squad (some by choice, some not) mean that I regularly feel that we have a collection of individuals on the pitch rather than a team.

It takes a bit of time for partnerships and units to bed in (friendlies and training can seemingly do little) and we get glimpses of what we could be, but more often not these are patches of light in an otherwise disjointed performance. It is difficult to make long term judgements on any player when a team is generally under performing - bad performances are contagious.

If (as we hope) the team start to gel a bit more, and the periods of good football start to out wiegh the bad then we can then see which of the current starting 11 are perhaps not up to it and need time on the bench.

Last night, as many have said, was a poor performance first 30 minutes, better for the next 30 minutes, and then mixed for the last 30. The overwhelming feeling I got from Latics though was a team that was nervous. Nervous to lose possession, nervous about messing up, nervous about losing.

Fear is a powerful psychological influence that regularly impacts peoples performances in sport (and other aspects of life). Hopefully some more pitch time to gel, a couple of results, and we will see what this team is capable of. I believe that is something far better than what we have served up so far, but am not sure that it will be anything more than mid-table by the end of the season.

Mid table would be a decent finish for us this season. Last season was about avoiding the R word which we did with that run at the end of the season and teams being worse than us. This season is again about bedding in new players and starting again, mid table would be a decent finish.

Mid table with retaining our better players, the youth lads properly kicking on and continuity going into the 15/16 season would be the best finish we can hope for.

Mid table would be a decent finish for us this season. Last season was about avoiding the R word which we did with that run at the end of the season and teams being worse than us. This season is again about bedding in new players and starting again, mid table would be a decent finish.

Mid table with retaining our better players, the youth lads properly kicking on and continuity going into the 15/16 season would be the best finish we can hope for.

Probably right but we've been saying this for the last 10 years.

Thought we actually played well last night, mainly the last 5-10 minutes of the first half and most of the second half. Thought we were the better "footballing" side of the two.

Elekobi was much improved, Lockwood for me though once he comes back as you can clearly see the difference in organisation (at the back) from the back end of last season and now.

Thought 4-4-2 worked much better, and Philly was very good. His off the ball movement at times was a class above the rest of the team, more often than not he wasn't found but he found space more often than not.

JCH has to score that chance before half time. Simple as.

Thought we did more than them to nick it - definitely not a performance to be annoyed/disappointed about. Move on to Preston now which will be touch but it's only down the road so hopefully we take a decent following and who knows? Would be typical latics to get their first win of the season at one of the toughest away matches of the season.

An absolutley sound well thought out and expressed post by Mr Teeets and you respond with this crap. Are you actually anti the Athleticos and are trying to get everyone against them?

Quite. Someone offers considered constructive advice and that's the response.

Can you drop this now? We were largely :censored:e with Smith & Wesolowski in the middle, we've so far been largely :censored:e with these two.

We've been far far worse than largely :censored:e with those two. The difference in ability between the two is huge. Hopefully they'll come good, but at the moment we've taken a big step backwards.

We've been far far worse than largely :censored:e with those two. The difference in ability between the two is huge. Hopefully they'll come good, but at the moment we've taken a big step backwards.

From what I've seen so far Jones will be a much better player than Wesolowski.

I'd rather have Jones than Wesolowski from what I've seen so far.

Granted Kelly's been poor so far but, we've seen worse and there was improvement second half yesterday.

Edited by HarryBosch

I cant say I agree with Johnson's assessment.

"We bossed the game from start to finish" - eh?

"Keep playing like that and we will shoot up the league"

- keep playing like that for the first 20 mins anf we will be 2/3 down vs some teams.

I cant say I agree with Johnson's assessment.

"We bossed the game from start to finish" - eh?

"Keep playing like that and we will shoot up the league"

- keep playing like that for the first 20 mins anf we will be 2/3 down vs some teams.

Nor when he said Kelly came good.