Latics 1-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

Nor when he said Kelly came good.

He's also changed his entire outlook from when he first came saying how we need to change mentality and shake off the "small team" thinking. Now he says fans need to realize that we are underdogs and need to adopt that mentality. He's right, we are but it's as though his own positivity has been flushed down the toilet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night was my first game this season and I didn't do any friendlies. I'm trying to not be too negative but I found myself absolubtly bored :censored:less.

Last night was more interesting than most home games last season.

My twopenneth, you're going to have to meet the club more than half way if you want them to go down this route.

There is no way that you are going to get to stand where you currently are in the RRE without the attention of the stewards. Having a block of fans standing, drumming and singing right next to the away fans is never going to fly, It looks and sounds antagonistic due to the proximity of the block you stand in to the away fans.

The tit for tat "They're standing and you're doing nothing to them..... why can't we stand...." is pretty childish when all said and done. In 90 minutes they are gone, the stewards job with away fans is just to shepherd them into conformity whilst they are here for the once a season visit and then get them the hell out of there at the end of the game. With you lot, they get you 20+ times a season, every game becomes a battle that they will ultimately win. The club can close the stand, withdraw season tickets or bar entry. To you it is killing an atmosphere, to the club it is stopping them from being put under the spotlight of being unable to control their crowd.

The club have already come out in support of standing, that's a pretty big leap for the club to make and to be frank, you're not helping them with the persistent standing and moaning at the stewards. All you're doing is increasing the stewarding attention on yourselves and potentially increasing policing costs on the club.

I support what you are trying to do but you aren't helping yourselves at the moment by picking a battle you can't win, I think you need to go back to the drawing board and find the line of least resistance to get to where you want to be which is stood up somewhere in the ground, singing, drumming and getting behind the team.

It may be that you need to move to the far right hand side of the RRE as you look at the pitch - this will piss some people who are already there off, same as if you switch to the Chaddy but you can't stay where you are. As I said, you need to meet the club more than halfway, they hold all the cards and you hold none. If the Athleticos stopped going tomorrow there would be no impact on Latics. A few off the attendance but rid of a stewarding headache. The club and team coped before you and will cope after you.

The long term aim always defeats the short term aim and your long term aim is being stopped by short termism. The more you push the short term "we are standing now" then the further your long term aim is being pushed back.

Even though it's quite a long post it is that good I don't mind quoting it. Well reasoned constructive criticism with some good advice too. A doff of the cap to Beag.

Boooo ban atmosphere. Bore off

This on the other hand is frankly god awful. Especially using the phrase bore off, which shows just how silly you are and reeks of ignorance. Edited by rudemedic

I didn't go last night, so my opinion is pretty void, but when did it become acceptable to draw at home to Port Vale...

When they finished above us last season and have seemingly strengthened over the summer.

It is a valid point though, a lot of the teams that were some way below us 5 years ago have progressed significantly whilst we have gone backwards. If this trend continues, it won't be the standing of a few that becomes questioned most, it will be the individuals sitting in the posh seats.

When they finished above us last season and have seemingly strengthened over the summer.

It is a valid point though, a lot of the teams that were some way below us 5 years ago have progressed significantly whilst we have gone backwards. If this trend continues, it won't be the standing of a few that becomes questioned most, it will be the individuals sitting in the posh seats.

But given that we've stayed roughly where we were then surely an equal number have regressed significantly. Such is the way of being part of the furniture.

Posh Seats? moving to effing Cheshire are we.

But given that we've stayed roughly where we were then surely an equal number have regressed significantly. Such is the way of being part of the furniture.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but from 2008-9 league one, they only ones to have regressed significantly are Stockport, Hereford (both with serious financial problems) and Bristol Rovers. I'm not counting any in league 2 as significant as if the season were to finish now, we'd be going down.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2008-2009

Edited by rudemedic

I cant say I agree with Johnson's assessment.

"We bossed the game from start to finish" - eh?

"Keep playing like that and we will shoot up the league"

- keep playing like that for the first 20 mins anf we will be 2/3 down vs some teams.

I loved the "as far as I'm concerned, we won the game, just drew it on the scoreboard" comment.

Let's hope we actually 'win' on Saturday.

I loved the "as far as I'm concerned, we won the game, just drew it on the scoreboard" comment.

Let's hope we actually 'win' on Saturday.

or "as far as I'm concerned we drew the game, just lost it on the scoreboard".

Mid table would be a decent finish for us this season. Last season was about avoiding the R word which we did with that run at the end of the season and teams being worse than us. This season is again about bedding in new players and starting again, mid table would be a decent finish.

Mid table with retaining our better players, the youth lads properly kicking on and continuity going into the 15/16 season would be the best finish we can hope for.

Port Vale have 8 new players. Hasn't taken hem long to bed in has it? I've seen players play for us in the past who have only met their team mates the morning of the match, and have had blinders.

Our crowds have dropped followed by the budget, or is it the other way around. It's a vicious circle.

Our crowds have dropped followed by the budget, or is it the other way around. It's a vicious circle.

Be careful with correlation and causation. How big a factor have the success of the arab's playthings in attracting, particularly young fans, away from us? With the glamour of Salford that has always been there, we are in a bloody tough position. I think how ourselves, Dogdale and Bury manage to compete in League one with our unique geographical disadvantage is amazing.

Be careful with correlation and causation. How big a factor have the success of the arab's playthings in attracting, particularly young fans, away from us? With the glamour of Salford that has always been there, we are in a bloody tough position. I think how ourselves, Dogdale and Bury manage to compete in League one with our unique geographical disadvantage is amazing.

How many people whp went to latics 10 years ago now go to city? The drop off of fans now not going to latics because of city imo is minimal.

I remember going to a premier league game against Wimbledon where I think the attendance was under 10000. That was before the sky brainwashing really took hold. When was the last time before that we were in the top flight? We should have been selling out every week but weren't.

How big can our crowds realistically be even if we go up?

How many people whp went to latics 10 years ago now go to city? The drop off of fans now not going to latics because of city imo is minimal.

Think Mikey is simply saying that with every season that goes by as our older generation are dieing out/not able to attend anymore, we aren't recruiting at the same rate with new blood in this region being drawn more to the appeal of supporting Man Utd/Man City

I remember going to a premier league game against Wimbledon where I think the attendance was under 10000. That was before the sky brainwashing really took hold. When was the last time before that we were in the top flight? We should have been selling out every week but weren't.

Not many small clubs don't sell out when they get to the a premier League nowadays, at least for the first season.

Remember the Premier League and Championship are much bigger deal to the casual football fan than they were when we were last in them.

On the basis we'd be cheaper than City or United we'd get quite a few extra.

Also, half the teams in the top flight would bring 3,000+ themselves.

Crowds in general have gone up since then. If we were ever to get to the PL again, I reckon our average would be higher than that 13 or 14,000 it was in the early 90's.

Not many small clubs don't sell out when they get to the a premier League nowadays, at least for the first season.

Remember the Premier League and Championship are much bigger deal to the casual football fan than they were when we were last in them.

On the basis we'd be cheaper than City or United we'd get quite a few extra.

Also, half the teams in the top flight would bring 3,000+ themselves.

You could argue that nowadays, due to the massive availability of games through Sky, BT, foreign 'SKY', t'internet etc etc, that the Premier League is a much lesser deal than when we were in it, or at least attending live games might be.

You could argue that nowadays, due to the massive availability of games through Sky, BT, foreign 'SKY', t'internet etc etc, that the Premier League is a much lesser deal than when we were in it, or at least attending live games might be.

You couldn't because the crowds are bigger than they've ever been