Ched Evans

Ched Evans Poll  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

As is her dad who is funding his continuing attempts to appeal conviction. Just one of a number of things in the story that seem bizarre to most people.

My own view is that where a footballer commits an offence, serves his punishment, and shows remorse he should be allowed to continue his career on release. On that basis I was fine with us signing Hughes. We shouldn't sign Evans though. Never shown any remorse, admittedly because he denies the offence but the club can't go behind the fact he was properly convicted. Also, even on the admitted facts, he seems like a nasty piece of work and we wouldn't want a character like that disrupting things at the moment. Any continuing Appeal/Court proceedings would also be unwelcome.

Her dad's funding his appeal? Christ. My dad's sadly no longer with us but if, when I was 19, my boyfriend had admitted to (at best, in his version of events) sneaking into a hotel room to :censored: a random stranger his mate had pulled, he'd wouldn't have allowed the little :censored: anywhere near me ever again. As you say, the fact that he's shown no remorse and thinks what he did was ok is why he doesn't deserve a second chance. Also, as he's now on the sex offenders register for the rest of his life, there are any number of careers he wouldn't be allowed to resume. Could be wrong but I presume he wouldn't be allowed to take part in any community work that the club does with kids.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I think any return he tries to make in this country will be short lived, vitriol from the stands will be on a scale we've not seen before, players demanding transfers because they won't play with him etc etc.

That wasn't the case with Lee Hughes though and I'd say ending somebody's life and driving away from the scene is more serious than having a pissed up rumble with a woman.

I didn't have an issue with Hughes signing. I thought the whole 'he's done his time, he should be allowed to work for a living' shebang. I drew a line under what had gone before, and hoped he came out and redeemed himself.

I changed my mind after hearing a few stories, which I believe, about some other serious character flaws he had.

I did chant his name, and I did celebrate his goals. I never liked him though, and really did breathe a sigh of relief when he left.

Going back, I wouldn't sign him. And I wouldn't sign Evans in a million years.

I'm not saying what he did is worse than what Hughes did, but there's no element of 'I'm a :censored: up, I made a mistake', like I can professionally shoehorn into the Hughes case in terms of my moral stance.

I'd rather have the group of good, honest misfits and cast-offs we have in the team today, than the 'Oldham Athletic rehabilitation centre for the moral dregs of society'. It's not what Latics are about. Let it be someone else's problem.

That wasn't the case with Lee Hughes though and I'd say ending somebody's life and driving away from the scene is more serious than having a pissed up rumble with a woman.

Really, 'a pissed up rumble'?

Really?!

Really, 'a pissed up rumble'?

Really?!

Were you there?

Come on now let's get in the real world...a pissed up 19 year old girl is always going to be attracted to a footballer on £18k a week! I personally find it extremely hard to believe she said no.

Also how can anybody truly believe having sex with someone against their will is a worse crime than killing somebody?! The mind boggles.

I know I'd rather be raped than killed....

....although I'm a bloke and get what I can these days!

Were you there?

Come on now let's get in the real world...a pissed up 19 year old girl is always going to be attracted to a footballer on £18k a week! I personally find it extremely hard to believe she said no.

In the real world he has been convicted of rape by a jury of his peers. That is not a mere 'pissed up rumble'.

Were you there?

Also how can anybody truly believe having sex with someone against their will is a worse crime than killing somebody?! The mind boggles.

I know I'd rather be raped than killed....

....although I'm a bloke and get what I can these days!

Difficult to know where to start but it at least explains why you'd have no problems with signing Evans. With so little understanding of this case or the crime in general, I can see he'd make a great signing.

Difficult to know where to start but it at least explains why you'd have no problems with signing Evans. With so little understanding of this case or the crime in general, I can see he'd make a great signing.

More eloquent than my intended "are you for real" reply. Thanks.

I personally believe he's innocent, there are too many questions on the basis of everything I've read. But said that, I don't think he can realistically sign for any club until his case is reviewed which unfortunately won't happen until he's in the latter years of, or already finished with his career.

Why? It's a fair question and one I'm interested in knowing the answer to.

Firstly you won't be finding me having the distaste to discuss if you'd 'rather' be raped or killed.

Secondly if you consider rape as one night of displeasure then you need to have a serious check of your head.

Thing with Ched Evans if he was not a well known professional player and come out of jail and tried to join a youth or junior team as a coach with the CRB checks and all the FA will proberly say no show him the door.

The same should apply at a professional level.