Ched Evans

Ched Evans Poll  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Ched Evans for OAFC

• Yes
    • No

Why have we got to Page 7 discussing a player who has no association with our club and who the club have never expressed any interest?

Move on people there are more important things in life.

Edited by shorelatic

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why have we got to Page 7 discussing a player who has no association with our club and who the club have never expressed any interest?

Yeah but, you can tell him where to go in person in just over a month.

And its only a 177 days until you can tell him where to go at Boundary Park

A combination of the fact it's a topical and interesting (albeit in a distasteful) subject and that our fans representative has had more to say about it than our own club for months!

Was listening to LJ on the radio before Saturday's game.

He said he won't just sign any player, he does meticulous background checks, speaks to other people in the game ect. to make sure they have the right character and are the right type of person to fit into his squad.

I very much doubt he'd be up for signing a convicted rapist.

Were you there?

Come on now let's get in the real world...a pissed up 19 year old girl is always going to be attracted to a footballer on £18k a week! I personally find it extremely hard to believe she said no.

While I've not read the transcripts of the court case my understanding is that she wasn't in a fit state to say yes or no and Evans thought he'd have a dabble anyway. After all, his mate had finished, why wouldn't you?

While you can be entitled to express your views you're getting mighty close to a looking a bit stupid with them.

Were you there?

Come on now let's get in the real world...a pissed up 19 year old girl is always going to be attracted to a footballer on £18k a week! I personally find it extremely hard to believe she said no.

Also how can anybody truly believe having sex with someone against their will is a worse crime than killing somebody?! The mind boggles.

I know I'd rather be raped than killed....

....although I'm a bloke and get what I can these days!

I don't know where to start with this. So I won't.

Why the :censored: is Barry even getting involved in this debate? If it's not his way of saying 'We'd sign 'im.' then it at least gives the impression that we would and reminds everyone that we were the club to sign Hughes straight out of prison. It wasn't good PR then and it's not good PR now.

I was very uncomfortable with the signing of Hughes and I didn't like his attitude at all - he wasn't the unassuming, remorseful angel that Barry is painting him as. Evans would be a step too far. I wouldn't take my kids to support a team with a convicted rapist in it. No way.

On a side note(ish) from Ched Evans, I read recently that the Blackpool Chairman is a convicted rapist. What was the reaction when he took over there...?

I think Owen Oysten already owned them when he was convicted.

Handed control to his son.

Kept some interesting company.

http://thesteepletimes.com/editorial/send-him-down/

(Second photo)

Edited by opinions4u

On a side note(ish) from Ched Evans, I read recently that the Blackpool Chairman is a convicted rapist. What was the reaction when he took over there...?

Do you mean Owen Oyston? If so, he was the Chairman there when he was convicted of rape in the 90s. When released it's his business so he was allowed to resume his role.

While I've not read the transcripts of the court case my understanding is that she wasn't in a fit state to say yes or no and Evans thought he'd have a dabble anyway. After all, his mate had finished, why wouldn't you?

While you can be entitled to express your views you're getting mighty close to a looking a bit stupid with them.

Why...because my opinion differs to others?

Maybe it could have been worded better but the opinion still stands.

To summarise how I feel:-

- I would not kick off if he signed for Latics.

- I feel as a player he would improve the team.

- My personal opinion, although clearly not in conjunction with some, is that killing a human being pissed up is a worse crime than raping one pissed up.

The last point leads into the fact we signed a killer only 7 seasons ago and although a few say you hated him and didn't cheer or applaud his goals, the fact is thousands did and my opinion is that if he can be cheered and his name chanted, why couldn't Ched Evans'?

It's by the by anyway as it will never happen but I think some of your reactions on here to my opinion are a massive over reaction and who are any of you to make me feel like a lesser person because I don't share your view?!

- My personal opinion, although clearly not in conjunction with some, is that killing a human being pissed up is a worse crime than raping one pissed up.

The last point leads into the fact we signed a killer only 7 seasons ago and although a few say you hated him and didn't cheer or applaud his goals, the fact is thousands did and my opinion is that if he can be cheered and his name chanted, why couldn't Ched Evans'?

It's by the by anyway as it will never happen but I think some of your reactions on here to my opinion are a massive over reaction and who are any of you to make me feel like a lesser person because I don't share your view?!

Is that you Judy?

I made it easy by quoting the bit I was really struggling with.

I think some of your reactions on here to my opinion are a massive over reaction and who are any of you to make me feel like a lesser person because I don't share your view?!

I apologise if I'm one of those who made you feel like a lesser person.

A combination of the fact it's a topical and interesting (albeit in a distasteful) subject and that our fans representative has had more to say about it than our own club for months!

It's this for me. We rarely get anything out of our very own Sepp Blatter. And when we do, it's about somebody else'e player!!

The mind :censored:ing boggles....

Why the :censored: is Barry even getting involved in this debate? If it's not his way of saying 'We'd sign 'im.' then it at least gives the impression that we would and reminds everyone that we were the club to sign Hughes straight out of prison. It wasn't good PR then and it's not good PR now.

I was very uncomfortable with the signing of Hughes and I didn't like his attitude at all - he wasn't the unassuming, remorseful angel that Barry is painting him as. Evans would be a step too far. I wouldn't take my kids to support a team with a convicted rapist in it. No way.

You really couldn't script the scenario of an ex-copper talking up the virtues of a disgusting criminal who perverted the course of justice to assist himself in obtaining a far lesser sentence than he should have got. Now after the years of wishing to duck the morality of it all, it's chapter and verse. All very bizarre.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Hi Ched. :lol:

You really couldn't script the scenario of an ex-copper talking up the virtues of a disgusting criminal who perverted the course of justice to assist himself in obtaining a far lesser sentence than he should have got. Now after the years of wishing to duck the morality of it all, it's chapter and verse. All very bizarre.

I'm not sure he did. The judge used his suspicions that is what he did to give him a harsh sentence for the crime he was convicted of. 6 years for causing death by dangerous driving is probably about what some used to get for causing death by drunk driving in those days.

Given the situation that caused Barry Blatter to get his name in national press as a copper you would expect better though.

It's not the first time he's changed 'the facts' to paint himself in a better light either. Where else has there been issues about senior coppers changing the facts after the event...

Edited by rudemedic

Remember Luke McCormick ? Sentenced to seven years for killing two brothers whilst drin driving .

Re-signed by Sheridan for Plymouth , again without any formal consultation with the fans

It's naive to think that clubs would consult directly - the best they will do is to float an idea of signing someone with a record and see what opinions come back. In Evans case the petition speaks very loudly. In Hughes' I don't know what feedback there was at the time. If , out of our 4000 there wasn't a significant number saying no, then the Board may have assumed that the vast majority ether approved or couldn't be bothered one way or the other.

If anyone feels really strongly about not signing Evans then do do something more than post on here. Email the club. It's easy . I have.