Was football better before the Premier League?

yes it was better as the ordinary fan could still relate to the club and players . football was played on Saturday at 3 o clock .

footballers could earn more than the average bloke but the wages of top division players were not so big that they would turn down the chance to join latics as they got towards the end of their career .

Buchan Clements Dowd johnstone

Things that improved since the PL introduction

- Stadiums on the whole have got better

- You can now watch as much football on TV as you wish rather than having to wait for 13 a season you can probably see double that in one weekend if you have the technology.

- Your less likely to get your head kicked in if you go to the football

Things that have deteriorated

- The FA cup sadly is now significantly less important than finishing 4th in the PL.

- Provincial teams such as Nottingham Forrest, Derby county and even Everton can no longer ever harbour aspirations of seriously becoming champions of England anymore, the top 5-6 teams are locked in at the top and the league title now has been floating between Manchester and London for the last 19 years and that doesn't look like changing anytime soon.

- Footballers where comparitively normal and when they finished playing had to get normal jobs.

- Playing for England is no longer seen as the pinnacle of a players career.

- It was more affordable to go to the football

- Terraces

- Footballers could put in haymaker tackles and it would earn them a new contract now it just gets a suspension.

It would be wrong to say everything has got worse since 1992 Heysel and Hillsborough are far less likely to happen now and fans are not treated as badly now as then, but we have a whole host of new problems since then, the biggest problem appears to be the premier league and certainly the top clubs and players are far too powerful now and pretty much get away with acting how they like.

Paul Blackwell, who first watched them in 1954, aged seven, stressed: "You don't win the (Division Two) championship playing only at home.

"The football was terrific; very attacking, fast flowing. (Manager) Joe Royle cultivated an attacking style.

"(But) was it just coincidence (Oldham) had the best team, certainly since World War Two, at the same time as the pitch? It's an open question."

Mr Blackwell, 68, said there were negatives to the surface. When Oldham were "forced to rip it up", this left "a quagmire of a pitch... that cost us Premier League status".

Love the fact that Paul Blackwell doesnt think the pitch was the main reaon for going up, as he is correct that you dont win anything just playing at home. However it is the reason we went down from the prem.

The Premier League may have got better but it's got worse on the whole. Football at Oldham's level is mainly just short term contracts and loan signings which means you never build up any affinity to the players like you used to.

Premiership clubs believed to be getting £100 million each in the new TV deal, maybe if TV advertisers said they were not paying stupid money the whole thing would collapse.

Edited by BP1960

Great article and an interesting debate.

I think that the Premier League (and the associated TV deals and coverage) have changed the game - but then so has the Champions League and the Bosman Rule. A combination of factors means the game is different - so good, some bad.

I personally thought that the bubble of the TV money etc would have only lasted 5-10 years when it all started - I thought that people would begin to tire of the wall to wall coverage and audiences / sponsorship / TV money would reduce. When ITV Digital tried and failed to develop the idea with the Football League coverage, I thought that it would start to impact on the top flight as well.

How wrong was I? The deals just get bigger and bigger, and thanks to the Bosman ruling, more and more of that money goes to players rather than stay within the game. Bentley and Landcover dealerships must have benefited massively from the last 20 years.

Premiership clubs believed to be getting £100 million each in the new TV deal, maybe if TV advertisers said they were not paying stupid money the whole thing would collapse.

Very true

However the reason why advertisers will pay so much for not just football but sports rights generally around the world is that it is the best median to reach young men.

Young men believe it or not are the hardest group for advertisers to reach and often the group with the most disposable income. The one thing they are most likely to sit down and watch the TV and be exposed to advertising is sport.

That is why sporting TV rights are so expensive.

Going back to the article I think the most telling point is the final line where what those people really want is their youth back. I'm sure today's generation will look back differently in 20-30 years time and reminisce about football in 2015

Edited by GlossopLatic

Yes as far as I'm concerned it was. Back then my Satudays consisted of and usually in this order:

1. Saint & Greavsie on the box

2. A few pints and a catch up in the Clayton Arms

3. Into the Chaddy End at 14:59, grab a Bovril and a programme for 80p

4. Stand in the singing corner and enjoy some great football

5. Back into the Clayton Arms for a few pints and more singing (win or lose)

6. Head home and pick up a football pink on the way

7. Fray Bentos pie for tea

Yes as far as I'm concerned it was. Back then my Satudays consisted of and usually in this order:

1. Saint & Greavsie on the box

2. A few pints and a catch up in the Clayton Arms

3. Into the Chaddy End at 14:59, grab a Bovril and a programme for 80p

4. Stand in the singing corner and enjoy some great football

5. Back into the Clayton Arms for a few pints and more singing (win or lose)

6. Head home and pick up a football pink on the way

7. Fray Bentos pie for tea

Sounds like heaven to me.....!

The TV deals are about to be submitted for the greedy league. I just wish the companies bidding would collude and only offer 50% of their previous deals. Unfortunately they won't because they will be scared that an Apple or Amazon may jump in as BT did. Sky couldn't survive without football and vice versa.

Very true

However the reason why advertisers will pay so much for not just football but sports rights generally around the world is that it is the best median to reach young men.

Young men believe it or not are the hardest group for advertisers to reach and often the group with the most disposable income. The one thing they are most likely to sit down and watch the TV and be exposed to advertising is sport.

That is why sporting TV rights are so expensive.

Going back to the article I think the most telling point is the final line where what those people really want is their youth back. I'm sure today's generation will look back differently in 20-30 years time and reminisce about football in 2015

They probably will when there are only 2 professional leagues with a minimum ground capacity of 20,000 as all he money will be concentrated there, the rest part time.

Edited by BP1960

They probably will when there are only 2 professional leagues with a minimum ground capacity of 20,000 as all he money will be concentrated there, the rest part time.

But isn't it going the other way? Full time (or as near as) non league teams these days.id be interested to see where our division ranks in Europe, think the Championship is 5th or 6th.

Anyone who has been watching the Goals of the Season from the last 50 years on Match of the Day will know that the quality of football has massively improved since the Premier League started. There are usually 2 or 3 goals each week on MOTD that are better than the goal of the season from the past.

And the fan experience is better on the whole when you think back to the decrepit stadia we had to put up with and the modern facilities we have now (thinking here of away grounds, not ours!). It's generally safe at matches now, virtually no racism and fighting etc.

The problem is too much money at the top and not enough filtering down to lower leagues.