Full Time: Leyton Orient 3 Oldham Athletic 0

It doesn't matter a jot who you get your points against, aim of the game is just to get as many as you can in the 46 matches you play.

We don't have a divine right to beat anybody, odd that a lot of people seem to think that we do.

Of course we don't, and that's not what people are saying they just expect more against teams who rarely win especially who have records such as "the worst home record in the football league". Why can we beat sides usually from 5th-18th and put in good performances, or hell even beat Swindon who were 2nd yet time after time lose against the sides who everyone else seems to beat? If it's a one off then fair enough maybe a bad day at the office but it's time and time again.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounded like we set up with a far too attacking formation without any width offering support to full backs? Yet we didn't create much.

100k for Poleon, 20k for Murphy, Forte the winger goal machine playing, Turner 20-60k, Philly on about a 12 year deal. Still couldn't score against 2nd bottom. Bobbins

Edited by aaronoafc

LJ is in danger of believing the hype. Today's team selection and tactics were an utter shambles and I really struggle to see us finishing much better off than recent years, especially given the poor quality of league one this year (aside from the top 4)

Asking Turner to play right midfield in front of the totally incompetent Wilson at RB was incredible. They cost us the first 2 goals and effectively the game.

I got attacked by a few people on here last week for calling the team spineless so I won't repeat that but hope you're not too upset by me calling them clueless? If you are then I'm pretty sure you weren't there today.

Having said all that, Murphy did pretty well when he came on and Winchester to his credit tried to make things happen and kept wanting the ball all game. Forte had a poor game but has earned forgiveness, Poleon was, as always, stunningly ineffectual. Connor Brown was his usual energetic self when he came on second half and I would rather have a player like him starting who plays with pride and commitment. It's a shame LJ doesn't believe in him.

I don't know where we go from here but there are not many I would miss if they're not here next season and I am sad to say that I am beginning to include LJ on that list unless he can start to see that he is not managing Barcelona.

So 2 points in 6 games against the bottom 4 is a good return ??

It's my 1st game in 7 months at Yeovil in a fortnight, it's quite a depressing place to watch Latics at the best of times but this record has me expecting the worst.

Hope LJ, or whoever's in charge, finds a formula to buck the trend.

I got attacked by a few people on here last week for calling the team spineless so I won't repeat that but hope you're not too upset by me calling them clueless? If you are then I'm pretty sure you weren't there today.

I must admit Ritchie that I'm much more inclined to agree with your spineless comment this week than I was last week. I thought it may have been an off day last week after quite a busy period but today showed that there's a bit more to it than that.

What is the problem with LJ and strikers/wingers?

Poleon is a winger and plays him up front, Forte is a winger and plays him up front, Murphy is a striker and plays him on the wing, Turner is a striker and plays him on the wing. Why can't he just play players in their positions?

Edited by NewBlue

I must admit Ritchie that I'm much more inclined to agree with your spineless comment this week than I was last week. I thought it may have been an off day last week after quite a busy period but today showed that there's a bit more to it than that.

In fairness I was a bit grumpy last week :)

This week I am just a bit disappointed

Just got back. That was absolutely :censored:e. The first half was dreadful and the second half as only marginally better. Sorry not to be constructive.... I can't think of anything to say... I don't go often, lack of money, so when I do go I want some sort of effort and imagination, that was a shower

I pulled into a lay-by on the A1 a couple of hours ago. Stepped out if the car and stared up at the stars. The universe is a truly amazing place, even when viewed with the naked eye from somewhere in Lincolnshire.

That was the highlight of my day.

The match was extraordinary. They scored twice because somewhere between Kelly and Brian Wilson something goes wrong. The only saving grace is that Kelly escaped a red card on their penalty. I didn't see the third. I was vaguely aware of it coming down Wilson's side of the pitch.

There were four moments in the first half when we got round the back of them with ease. Turner, Kelly and Winchester unable to find a man after doing the hard work. We didn't try to repeat this second half where, despite having lots of the ball on Winchester looked effective moving it towards the opposition goal. The penalty we got was soft and then executed terribly.

Tactically we looked clueless. Possession wise we had a lot of the ball. Guile wise we were useless most of the game.

Kean 6

B Wilson 2

Mills 6

Ekobi 5

J Wilson 6

Kusunga 6

Brown 6

Winchester 7

Kelly 4

Philliskirk 3

Forte 4

Poleon 4

Turner 5

Murphy 5

Danny needs a break. Stick him on the bench for a few games.

But we have a bigger problem than Philliskirk's ineffectiveness or Brian Wilson being out of form.

The problem is Lee Johnson and strikers. He's :censored: at buying ones that are any good.

On train back. First game of the season for me and what a shocker! First half was abject - Turner looked completely lost in the right wing, Wilson behind him shocking and at fault for the first. Second half was much better but couldn't have been a great deal worse to be honest. Thought Winchester was the best player on the park and Murphy put in a shift.

Kean - 6 - Not a lot to do funnily enough

Wilson - 3 - Shocker

Kusunga - 6 - Steady

Wilson - 6 - Decent but too many hoofs

Mills - 5 - Headless chicken at times

Winchester - 7 - Classy on the ball, decisions could have been better

Kelly - Did the simple things well

Philliskirk - 4 - Lost in centre mid

Forte - 5 - Average, shocking pen

Poleon - 6 - Anonymous first half, grew into the game second

Turner - 2- Oh dear.

Subs:

Murphy - 6 - Has something about him. Should start next week. Won the pen that shouldn't have been.

Brown - 7 - Thought he did very well when he came on. Should start at right back

Positives - Half time pie was decent

Finally - to those giving pathetic dogs abuse to LJ at the end you may just have made his mind up. Congrats LETS HOPE SO .

For what it's worth, Turner spent quite a bit of time on the wing at Stockport. To say we played him out of position is incorrect- players can have more than one.

He threatened more down the right than through the centre.

Forte threatened a tad more down the left than through the centre.

Poleon worked hard on both flanks. But in the unlikely event of him getting past his man he doesn't have a clue what to do.

Murphy? Looks fourth division to me. But maybe his ability to find space is our best hope until Wilkinson returns.

Agree with some of the points on here but the real problem is the formation and LJ's choice of players to fit that formation.

I banged on about this sh*t diamond formation insofar that we should revert back to our previously successful 442.

Yesterday showed up LJ's stubborn attitude. Philliskirk has only performed when he has played off big hold up men such as JCH or Jabo. Playing non-target men such as Forte, Poleon or Murphy on their own and expect them to get the ball to bring Philliskirk is just blind optimism.

LJ needs to drop Philliskirk and play any 2 of Turner, Poleon and Murphy as a forward pairing.

Playing Poleon and Turner either side of Forte just left them isolated. As soon as one of them had the ball. they were surrounded by at least 2 defenders with their forward options equally well marked which left the only option being to pass backwards.

Going back to 442 with Kelly and Jones as a centre pairing would get that passing game going through the middle and stop a lot of the hoofball. One of Jones's best attributes is his short game and his availability to help out all over the attacking half.

On to defence, drop Brian Wilson and play Brown, yesterday showed that he is enthusiastic to get up the wing and determined to try and break down the opposition by any almost legal method.

Finally, bring back Lockwood....he'll help organise our defence, help Kelly, get James Wilson back on his game

I will agree with the majority that Brown did improve on what had gone before. I does get up and down the flank. My one question mark with Brown he tends go down a blind alley once squared up to the defender, he doesn't have a trick to beat the man. Kind of runs out of idea's. That's the one thing Wilson does have over him. Wilson is not the best, but he certainly isn't as bad as made out either.