Are My Worries Unfounded?

Me thinks this is one of the most important matches of our season, if we lose this one I am struggling to see where our points will come from. The players confidence will be rock bottom and unfortunately I don't think Holden is the type of manager that will get the best out of the team. We need a manager who will put some fire in their guts and battle, because we are going to need it if we lose on Saturday.

As it stands we have 46 points, we will probably be safe with (going off past seasons) 52 points

Oldham Athletic v Barnsley =?

Oldham Athletic v Milton Keynes Dons = 0,

Crewe Alexander v Oldham Athletic = 0, (bottom 4 club)

Oldham Athletic v Rochdale = 1

Bradford City v Oldham Athletic = 0

Oldham Athletic v Bristol City = 0

Crawley Town v Oldham Athletic = 0, (bottom 4 club)

Oldham Athletic v Sheffield United =1

Coventry City v Oldham Athletic = 0

Oldham Athletic v Chesterfield= I would like to say 3 but if Tommy Lee's in goal?

Walsall v Oldham Athletic = 0

Oldham Athletic v Peterborough United =our last match, we could need 3 points to stay up

Against the sides currently in the bottom-four, the club has taken only two points out of a possible 21..

Jacob Mellis will be missing for three weeks

George Elokobi, will be missing for six weeks

Joseph Mills will be missing for six weeks

Amari Morgan-Smith, will be missing for four weeks

Philliskirk may as well be missing he’s been missing since the Rochdale game.

Forte has not scored in 8 games

Brian Wilson, suspended for Barnsley match

Conor Wilkinson in the Republic of Ireland U21 squad, could miss Rochdale & Bradford matches.

PS, But on the other hand if we WIN …...................................

PPS, And for any Barnsley fan looking in, if Mr Johnson gets you promotion this season and you find yourselves in 7th place 3 points off the play off’s in the championship next season and your manager is seen scribbling notes in the dugout, beware he may be writing a 100 page document for another club a little bigger than yours, good luck!!!!!!. but not this Saturday,

PPPS, Lets all give Mr Lee Johnson the welcome he deserves.

I don't think they are unfounded, but nor do I think it one of the most important matches.

We always ewere going to have a tough run in, Johnson here or not.

Maybe at that point our position was a little flattering.

Barnsley run in is just as tough.

March 2015

This table charts the fixtures in March 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status League One

Oldham V Barnsley

Sat 14 Mar 15:00 League One

Leyton Orient V Barnsley

Tue 17 Mar 19:45 League One

Barnsley V Preston

Sat 21 Mar 15:00 League One

Bristol City V Barnsley

Sat 28 Mar 15:00

April 2015

This table charts the fixtures in April 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status League One

Barnsley V Sheff Utd

Sat 4 Apr 12:15 League One

Colchester V Barnsley

Mon 6 Apr 15:00 League One

Barnsley V Chesterfield

Sat 11 Apr 15:00 League One

Notts County V Barnsley

Tue 14 Apr 19:45 League One

Barnsley V Peterborough

Sat 18 Apr 15:00 League One

Bradford V Barnsley

Sat 25 Apr 15:00

May 2015

This table charts the fixtures in May 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status League One

Barnsley V Rochdale

Sun 3 May 12:15

Glass half full way of looking at it:

We've already beaten Walsall, we could have annihilated Bradford, and we have already comfortably beaten Cov and Dale, if we've done it once, we can do it again.

We've drawn with Crawley (our error, should have won, plus they've taken a few poundings, might be low on confidence), Sheff U (matched them at Bramhall, decent form but flatter to deceive most of the time), Chesterfield (whos two best players, Doyle and Johnson have since left) and Posh (hit and miss, plus if we play Kusunga he'll definitely score (maybe)).

Which leaves Barnsley, Crewe, MK and Bristol. Crewe seem to be edging to no-man's land, between play-offs and relegation, soon won't have much to play for, MK and Bristol are very good teams, but we have something to prove vs both of them, and if our lads aren't up for Barnsley, then there's something wrong.

TL;DR: We'll get 36/36points, and stroll into the playoffs, nay qualms.

The glass I'm looking into doesn't have enough beer to make it worthwhile raising for those last few drops.

This is a good run in given our performance against the bottom four teams as there are only two however nil point Saturday and Tuesday and we sink to 16th and then lose the 6 pointer against Crewe. Three more players join the injury list with hamstring problems.

Something stirs in the Board Room. You know this doesn't look so good just 1 win in 8 games with only 7 left! Frantic activity and sign fourth choice new manager who arrives after the loss to Rochdale and talks about running into brick walls. 6 games left and now 18th.

New manager does better than Joe Royle winning one game from 6 and we are relegated in 21st position.

On the other hand we beat Barnsley 7 0 and...................................

Glass half full way of looking at it:

We've already beaten Walsall, we could have annihilated Bradford, and we have already comfortably beaten Cov and Dale, if we've done it once, we can do it again.

We've drawn with Crawley (our error, should have won, plus they've taken a few poundings, might be low on confidence), Sheff U (matched them at Bramhall, decent form but flatter to deceive most of the time), Chesterfield (whos two best players, Doyle and Johnson have since left) and Posh (hit and miss, plus if we play Kusunga he'll definitely score (maybe)).

Which leaves Barnsley, Crewe, MK and Bristol. Crewe seem to be edging to no-man's land, between play-offs and relegation, soon won't have much to play for, MK and Bristol are very good teams, but we have something to prove vs both of them, and if our lads aren't up for Barnsley, then there's something wrong.

TL;DR: We'll get 36/36points, and stroll into the playoffs, nay qualms.

Well lets us hope the players do not have this mentality and automatically assume they will lose all the games that Spanish Blue predicts.

The whole point is that football at the best of times has unpredictability about it- otherwise winning the pools would have been a formaility back in the day. Points are always won and lost in the most unexpected places just look at L 1 results every week to see.

I also think lets get off this Johnson thing - it is past and will only be a distraction if the players and fans are obsessed with this lets get one over on LJ mentality- it is just another game and a stern test against a team on a good run- like Port Vale were!

If we sink like a stone in remainder of season then the board members seriously need to review their individual positions as to masterminding the future success of the club.

Furthermore if the sudden tailspin from our earlier nudging play-off position results in attendances dropping next season then Corney needs to accept full responsibility.

The bandwagon was rolling along and we were aiming 6th or higher. Granted we may have been punching above our weight. However between the Evans saga and allowing Johnson to go with no real contingency plan (speaks more of the actual "relationship" between manager and owner to allow this to happen or manager wishing to leave citing that he's gone as far as he could) then this put the skids on that momentum. None of it the fans fault unless you argue rejection to Evans signing.

Any free fall is the boards doing in disrupting our earlier momentum and they should be held accountable to turn that around starting by making the best appointment as next manager and supporting them to build on a potential top 6th side to higher next season!

Edited by Midsblue

I also think lets get off this Johnson thing - it is past and will only be a distraction if the players and fans are obsessed with this lets get one over on LJ mentality- it is just another game and a stern test against a team on a good run- like Port Vale were!

I agree, but I think the proximity of his move to the game on Saturday was always likely to keep any wounds open for those particularly bothered by his departure. Whatever the result at the weekend (and of course we hope we win) I think that the fixation with him will start to fade away.

If we sink like a stone in remainder of season then the board members seriously need to review their individual positions as to masterminding the future success of the club.

Wow that is harsh in my opinion. Based on what I have seen, the players themselves have to have a seriously good look at themselves, and potentially our previous manager.

Based on the interviews recently, it appears all the board did was back their manager. Initially by issuing a statement to say not interested in Ched Evans, and then on the managers change of heart, went out to secure his services and took a lot of the crap at the time allowing the manager to look all innocent and light.

The team was not 'broken up', and even strengthened with the addition of a player that the manager and most on this board wanted to see back at the club. Since then the performances of the players has been all over the place - a real Jekyll and Hyde team - with performances that were as bad as others were good. Sadly we have seen the ratio of good to bad games change in favour of the latter in 2015 and slipped down the table.

Then the manager leaves.

When a club loses their manager at their own accord, I think it is appropriate to start asking questions if a period of time passes and there is no plan B. But when you lose your manager and its not your plan, then it is likely to take a bit longer to set something up.

I know the rumours of LJ applying for other jobs before being successful at Barnsley, but we don't know if these are true, or if they are whether he informed his boss (I know I don't when applying for jobs outside my current company). And even if SC did know, but was still hoping to be able to keep LJ (which most on this board think would have been better for the club) then looking for a replacement whilst he was still hear is unlikely to persuade him to stay.

For me the 'slide' (and the really frustrating part of it is that despite that we are still on the fringes....oh the huge "What if?" this season will leave us with), is down to the last manager, the current players for not maintaining the performance levels we have seen, and some players being unavailable e.g. injuries to Kelly, Wilkinson, Forte etc.

We know we have a good team, but a weak squad, Injuries and suspensions were always a risk.

Furthermore if the sudden tailspin from our earlier nudging play-off position results in attendances dropping next season then Corney needs to accept full responsibility.

The bandwagon was rolling along and we were aiming 6th or higher. Granted we may have been punching above our weight. However between the Evans saga and allowing Johnson to go with no real contingency plan (speaks more of the actual "relationship" between manager and owner to allow this to happen or manager wishing to leave citing that he's gone as far as he could) then this put the skids on that momentum. None of it the fans fault unless you argue rejection to Evans signing.

Any free fall is the boards doing in disrupting our earlier momentum and they should be held accountable to turn that around starting by making the best appointment as next manager and supporting them to build on a potential top 6th side to higher next season!

I do think it harsh to blame Corney solely for Johnsons exit. None of us predicted he would walk given the postiion we were in, look at the initial posts as Johnson moved to favourite, practically ridiculed the bookies.

And is it really a fault to have expected some loyalty from the person that gave him his first position?

And with regard to having no contigency plan, we have had 3 in terms of Scholes, Dowie and now it depends who has applied. There could be a a real top notch manager available in the summer. so if the right long term candidate is available then best to wait. Personally, I think we were flattering to deceive any way, and doubt we would have made the play offs with Johnson we were just to inconsistent. But I acknowledge we were in with a shout. And still are.

Johnson did not say he had taken the club as far as he could, he said I wanted to progress, it was all me, me, me. IF he wanted to go, why make too much effort to keep him?

And Johnson must share responsibility with the deterioation. Twice he has shirked his view and stated "Up to the Board" when it was his own actions.

So Johnson is partly to blame for any freefall, and I'd argue the majority of it. But I don't think we will.

I do feel having a full week to prepare this week will help.

Being a new manager, in the circumstances, taking over in the manner he did and having 3 games in 8 days was a tough ask of any manager.

Edited by singe

I do think it harsh to blame Corney solely for Johnsons exit. None of us predicted he would walk given the postiion we were in, look at the initial posts as Johnson moved to favourite, practically ridiculed the bookies.

And is it really a fault to have expected some loyalty from the person that gave him his first position?

And with regard to having no contigency plan, we have had 3 in terms of Scholes, Dowie and now it depends who has applied. There could be a a real top notch manager available in the summer. so if the right long term candidate is available then best to wait. Personally, I think we were flattering to deceive any way, and doubt we would have made the play offs with Johnson we were just to inconsistent. But I acknowledge we were in with a shout. And still are.

Johnson did not say he had taken the club as far as he could, he said I wanted to progress, it was all me, me, me. IF he wanted to go, why make too much effort to keep him?

And Johnson must share responsibility with the deterioation. Twice he has shirked his view and stated "Up to the Board" when it was his own actions.

So Johnson is partly to blame for any freefall, and I'd argue the majority of it. But I don't think we will.

I do feel having a full week to prepare this week will help.

Being a new manager, in the circumstances, taking over in the manner he did and having 3 games in 8 days was a tough ask of any manager.

This post pretty well sums up my views on the whole shambles. Johnson showed no loyalty to the club that gave him his start in football management and given our precarious financial position, Corney backed Johnson in the transfer market. His payback is that a Manager jumps ship when he sees a better position available - no loyalty and Johnson deserves any castigation that may come his way on Saturday.

All I would ask is that our put downs are done with a modicum of class and style. And if we do win the game then that is the time to enjoy the moment.

And with regard to having no contigency plan, we have had 3 in terms of Scholes, Dowie and now it depends who has applied.

Corney is the CEO and 100% shareholder or as Metty describes 'the dictator' everything is his fault, it really is!

yet again Corney has turned the most positive season in 6 years and turned it into a total farce!

No manager, lost all momentum we had and no plummeting down the table. Less fans will come through the gate and next year we get nailed by FFP.

I have said it before and I say it again Corney is giving this club a slow painful death! He is slowly sucking all the light out of it.

I'd be focusing on future local matches not making the Play Offs even as a Dale Fan if were to make it to them and lose it wouldn't be all bad i'd be praying Millwall don't return be keeping that hope that Bolton Wanderers remain dragged into the relegation battle along side the Wigans and Blackpool's of the world i don't think promotion would benefit any of the League One Northern sides considering how southern the championship will be next season it'd be very beneficial a Northern League One with Shrewsbury, Burton, Bury, Possibly Morecambe (Dark Horses via Play Off) with Rochdale, Bradford, Sheff Utd, Preston (Swindon or MK 2nd Place because they'll bottle it again), Blackpool, Wigan, Fleetwood, Doncaster, Barnsley, Scunthorpe, Chesterfield, Crewe, Port Vale, Walsall, Notts County Next Season will be mega revenue for clubs like us rather than being stuck in championship averging less than Next Seasons League One Northern takeover

Edited by tazzydjr

"I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I gave everything I possibly could to Oldham, and that is the main thing for me. As far as I am concerned, I just have to deal with what comes on the day." Lee Johnson

Still talking sh.t Johnson

Edited by byrnes boots

yet again Corney has turned the most positive season in 6 years and turned it into a total farce!

No manager, lost all momentum we had and no plummeting down the table. Less fans will come through the gate and next year we get nailed by FFP.

I have said it before and I say it again Corney is giving this club a slow painful death! He is slowly sucking all the light out of it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I couldn't disagree more.

SC is doing a reasonable job. We are still in League One (could easily have gone down), we are progressing a new stand (much needed), and within reasonable limits seems to back managers during the transfer windows.

He either doesn't have the money, or doesn't want to spend his own money on the kind of player investments that would be needed to genuinely give us anything other than a slim hope of promotion without a clever and lucky manager (which we have not managed to find yet). For that I do not blame him. We had one of those owners previously and it nearly ended the club, SC has come in and stabilised and made the club more self-sufficient than it ever has been. And has been very open that if anyone comes along that is in a better position to take the club forward, he is willing to sell (subject to them being a suitable pair of hands).

What do you want from him?

Corney is the CEO and 100% shareholder or as Metty describes 'the dictator' everything is his fault, it really is!

You are totally lacking of any semblance of a proposal as to how you would deal with any shortcomings Corney may have. 'Nothing' on financing the club, 'nothing' on redeveloping the ground, 'nothing' on attracting/financing better quality players, 'nothing' on acquiring a guaranteed successful manager, (totally impossible IMO), and minus zero (if that's possible) on your preferred choice of CEO and what amount of investment you would expect of them.

If 'you' were a 100% shareholder in a company you would be a dictator too, you certainly seem reluctant to debate problems sensibly with anyone.

Virtually every CEO in the land has trouble finding a good manager.

We are one of a few 'low budget clubs' who have managed avoid relegation for the last 17yrs or so.

The problem for football CEO is they have to rely on other people who are 'generally' not very good.

I would love to debate 'your' step by step business plan for the club covering next three years.