Labour leadership hustings, foxes and what have the unions ever done for us?

Matt

Labour Leadership  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Liz Kendall
    • Jeremy Corbyn

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed that one, but would be interested to read it if you can find a link?

There could be two sides - stopping paying over the market rate for a place - ie the tenant and the landlord split the difference. Nothing new there and not controversial.

The other side would be a limit on the type of places you can get full benefits for. This seems more contraversial.

Just capping the price paid on certain houses will result in them being left to rot until the tenant leaves then they'll be let out again at far more, possibly after a refurbished making them less affordable to low income people

Is this not just a London/South East/York/Harrogate problem....???

Corbyn - like Nicola Sturgeon - does comes across as very genuine & is quite impressive despite talking absolute :censored:e.

Takes some doing that. Hat's off to him.

He does talk :censored:e. No charisma, no diction or rhetoric. Breaks all the rules of televisual appeal. It is refreshing to hear someone saying what they truly believe though - even if it's not up your street. Who knows what Cameron really thinks, or Osborne, or Ed Miliband? Perhaps they don't even know. Perhaps they consciously don't really believe anything.

Hezbollah seemed perfectly pleasant to me when I was in their neck of the woods by the way. They've largely been involved with stopping Israel stealing the Lebanon, which I dare say most posters here would be up for if they'd stolen Bury and Rochdale and were sniffing about

Not at all. There's no reason why somewhere to live should get more expensive when everything else gets cheaper.

Housing benefit has in effect become a state transfer to the upper echelons of the asset class, in the meantime making it very expensive for everyone to rent. I've no idea what the solution is but rent controls has to be a part of it or the start of it. You get to bring the housing benefit bill down without hurting those with very little financial leeway. In the meantime your private landlords get a bit of stick, which is nice.

That green belt bollocks really pisses me off. Northamptonshire and Surrey are described as lovely only when someone threatens to build human shelters there. Most of the time people couldn't give a :censored:. Difficult to admire it when you're doing 70 on the bypass.

This national anthem crisis...bit desperate no?

it's no surprise that an atheist republican didnt' sing but the main thing to remember is that your Commie mate stole the old buffers' butties.

I never sing the anthem either and I'm about seven squillion percent more pro British than Corbyn but you cant be surprised that people do make a big thing about it. It's an open goal. The press will be relentless and the thing is the stories just will not stop - the man is unelectable

it's no surprise that an atheist republican didnt' sing but the main thing to remember is that your Commie mate stole the old buffers' butties.

I never sing the anthem either and I'm about seven squillion percent more pro British than Corbyn but you cant be surprised that people do make a big thing about it. It's an open goal. The press will be relentless and the thing is the stories just will not stop - the man is unelectable

Whether he is or whether he isn't is up for debate. However I would prefer it if the debate was on, intellectual, ideological and policy grounds rather than because some privately educated 'journalist' working for the gutter press cobbles together some clickbait hate pieces that is then repeated ad infinitum.

Whether he is or whether he isn't is up for debate. However I would prefer it if the debate was on, intellectual, ideological and policy grounds rather than because some privately educated 'journalist' working for the gutter press cobbles together some clickbait hate pieces that is then repeated ad infinitum.

He he is at the Cenotaph mocking war veterans after throwing their butties to pigeons. The man is a disgrace 2C58223300000578-0-image-a-3_14423552744

It's open goal because it's a different game.

The press would be all over him if he sang it, what with him being a republican and everything. Like I keep saying: he's got one chance - stick the guns and don't flinch an inch. It's not as if he's inexperienced at doing that. The man has no record at all of compromise, flip-flopping, turncoating or any of the other things that conventional wisdom would have you believe are necessary for political leadership.

privately educated journalist slags off some rich prep school marxist. Cant see the point in slagging people off Tories/Press etc for being posh/privately educated when that also covers the majority of the Labour lot as well.

don't worry there will be plenty of debate on his political beliefs and so much of it is going to be far too salty for middle England. He's obviously never thought for a moment that one day he'd have this much responsibility on his shoulders and this much hostile scrutiny of everything he's ever said or done - and why would he, he must be as shocked as everyone else at how fast things have changed - and that is his major weakness. That weakness is probably in his supporters eyes also his greatest strength - it's refreshing to have politicians who actually say what they believe but at the same time I don't believe it's possible to win over enough people to win a GE without being a smarmy lying two faced weasel. It's also not possible, yet, to win a GE - however professionally packaged, which let's face it wont be - from a position as far to the left as Corbyn is.

Anyway, that's my two penneth from the outside looking in. Labour have slit their own throats & the Bullingdon Boys will be toasting each other in 2020

Can you trust a man who's never changed his mind about anything?

He's changed his mind about a couple of wives. One of them wanted to send their son to a fee-paying school. She got her way and got the boot, too.

He's never changed his mind about his commitment to stuff, such as CND, unlike, for instance, Blair. He's not one for simply wearing the badge because it's fashionable or it gets you something else. That I can trust. At least it's predictable.

privately educated journalist slags off some rich prep school marxist. Cant see the point in slagging people off Tories/Press etc for being posh/privately educated when that also covers the majority of the Labour lot as well.

don't worry there will be plenty of debate on his political beliefs and so much of it is going to be far too salty for middle England. He's obviously never thought for a moment that one day he'd have this much responsibility on his shoulders and this much hostile scrutiny of everything he's ever said or done - and why would he, he must be as shocked as everyone else at how fast things have changed - and that is his major weakness. That weakness is probably in his supporters eyes also his greatest strength - it's refreshing to have politicians who actually say what they believe but at the same time I don't believe it's possible to win over enough people to win a GE without being a smarmy lying two faced weasel. It's also not possible, yet, to win a GE - however professionally packaged, which let's face it wont be - from a position as far to the left as Corbyn is.

Anyway, that's my two penneth from the outside looking in. Labour have slit their own throats & the Bullingdon Boys will be toasting each other in 2020

This is one of the most cynical things I've ever read. Are you saying that you don't trust a politician unless they're a smarmy lying two faced weasel?

The press will be relentless and the thing is the stories just will not stop

Be fair, if he had sang the anthem the press would have rounded on him - what gets me is that we're allowing the press to control our elected members of parliament. I'm all for exposing expense cheats and ministerial ne'er-do-wells, however - as beag mentions - two bit click bait press articles (and believe it or not, the Guardian has been at the forefront of this) do nobody any favours. It just points to media controlled and styled MP's.

The press is the real enemy.

This is one of the most cynical things I've ever read. Are you saying that you don't trust a politician unless they're a smarmy lying two faced weasel?

no, I'm not saying I trust them - I most definitely do not trust them but the likes of Cameron and Blair win General Elections. That's the modern world. I dont like it or them but that's how it works.

Be fair, if he had sang the anthem the press would have rounded on him - what gets me is that we're allowing the press to control our elected members of parliament. I'm all for exposing expense cheats and ministerial ne'er-do-wells, however - as beag mentions - two bit click bait press articles (and believe it or not, the Guardian has been at the forefront of this) do nobody any favours. It just points to media controlled and styled MP's.

The press is the real enemy.

yes, there is no doubt the press would have hammered him even if he had sung it. He really couldnt win either way. But Comrade Steptoe best get used to it, they're not going to give him an inch.

two bit click bait press articles (and believe it or not, the Guardian has been at the forefront of this)

You finding it odd that the Guardian would do this shows a key way in which the way many on the left see themselves is part of their problem. It also exists in Ackey's question about why Corbyn couldn't be popular. It assumes the left are altruistic and the right are selfish.

You finding it odd that the Guardian would do this...

To be honest, I don't find it odd - I assumed that somebody could. I generally read/quote factcheck and the ONS above believing any media platform, and lets face it - the Graun went down the pan ages ago.

Cue the Times publishing a story about his love life and political career in one. Edited by rudemedic