Winchester.....

Poll added 13th October 2015  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would we amass more points with or without Carl Winchester at RM/CM for the rest of the season?

• More points with him in the side
    • More points without him in the side

The one thing I think is lacking from his game is desire. He's never going to be one who puts the team on his shoulders and wins us the game.

That being said 6 months ago he was the first name on the team sheet.

It doesn't surprise me that he isn't being picked by Kelly who as a player was under talented and got through by grit and desire alone. And it's not like we have really kicked on without Winchester.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah let's move him on because we only need 11 players in our squad over a 50 plus game 9 month season. None of them will suffer injuries suspensions or loss of form. Why lose a player who is clearly good enough when the time comes to step in and make a positive impact.

Some of bull:censored: posted on this thread is embarrassing.

I wouldn't move him on.

But if the club want to sell him and he's not getting picked he'd be bonkers to stay, wouldn't he?

I refer you back to post #68

Our anti-football fans have actually ground me down to the point where I will see it as bittersweet when he goes onwards and upwards in his career (for far more than miserly £150k) to somewhere he is better appreciated...

The line you quote was said in jest really but.My point still stands that we should cash in, in my opinion.

In the little we have seen of him this season he has done nothing to suggest he deserves his place, having said that if you think back to Fleetwood and Scunthorpe away last season, you would be hard pressed to think of another player in our side who could give you that moment of magic that he has the ability to unleash.

I wouldn't move him on.

But if the club want to sell him and he's not getting picked he'd be bonkers to stay, wouldn't he?

It seems like we've got so used to having a high turnover of players that the minute a player suffers a drop in form we instantly think we should either loan them out or get rid of them.

What happened to the idea of working your way back into the team. Just because he's not in the managers plans now doesn't mean he won't be in 1, 2, 3 months down the line, see Dieng as an example. The only reason why we should want to get rid is if the player is actively wanting to leave.

Let's be honest Winchester has not had a real chance has he? If you believe that you are a :censored:in idiot!

80 appearances under 3 different managers all of which believe he can't finish 90 minutes. He has absolute quality on his day no doubt but is very possibly the most inconsistent player at the club.

Once again most of those preaching about how wonderful he is are just focusing on his plus points of which he has many when in possession but are ignoring anything kind of negative which he has plenty of as well. Its Exactly the opposite thing they do with Croft and Philli.

I don't think we should sell Winchester and I don't think we will, same as the last 3 windows when he was supposed to be moving on.

Can someone please explain to how we would have beaten Bury if he'd played by the way, I'm still wondering what out of form Winchester would do that David Dunn couldn't?

Edited by palmer1

I wouldn't move him on.

That really depends on whether he is developing off the pitch, in training. True, as some-one pointed out, there is no substitute for game time, but equally you can't necessarily 'carry' a lad who is clearly not fulfilling his potential. I am definitely nowhere near any ' get rid' camp but clearly not the only one shying away from the 'first name on the team-sheet' brigade.

It doesn't surprise me that he isn't being picked by Kelly who as a player was under talented and got through by grit and desire alone. And it's not like we have really kicked on without Winchester.

I think that's more than a little unfair, and if anything, it's more likely that a skill-less player would tend towards favouring the more gifted as a manager, just as there are few managers from the truly specially gifted as they don't appear to be able to tolerate those even slightly less talented than they were.

Let's be honest Winchester has not had a real chance has he? If you believe that you are a :censored:in idiot!

80 appearances under 3 different managers all of which believe he can't finish 90 minutes. He has absolute quality on his day no doubt but is very possibly the most inconsistent player at the club.

Once again most of those preaching about how wonderful he is are just focusing on his plus points of which he has many when in possession but are ignoring anything kind of negative which he has plenty of as well. Its Exactly the opposite thing they do with Croft and Philli.

I don't think we should sell Winchester and I don't think we will, same as the last 3 windows when he was supposed to be moving on.

Can someone please explain to how we would have beaten Bury if he'd played by way but I'm still wondering what out of form Winchester would do that David Dunn couldn't?

This

You can pick flaws with every single member of our squad, At this early stage Winchester has obviously not shown Darren Kelly that he should be starting a game. If that's how the manager wants to go then i will support his decision.

We are all well aware that Winchester has it in his locker to be a real asset to the team and i am sure he will get his chance in the near future.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised to see him involved at Shrewsbury.

It is up to him to secure his place in the team !!

You can pick flaws with every single member of our squad, At this early stage Winchester has obviously not shown Darren Kelly that he should be starting a game. If that's how the manager wants to go then i will support his decision.

We are all well aware that Winchester has it in his locker to be a real asset to the team and i am sure he will get his chance in the near future.

In fact, i wouldn't be surprised to see him involved at Shrewsbury.

It is up to him to secure his place in the team !!

In full agreement with this. Plus having Winchester on the bench should be enough to keep the others on their toes as he can fill in in 2-3 positions. Edited by GlossopLatic

Defensive boring football it will be this season, if he is the player to go that says a lot about the managers intentions. A back four with two holding midfielders, it will be a yawn fest especially at home, I had hoped Kelly was true to his word about expansive attacking football but its probably not going to be anything like that.

Only our fans would want to sell last years player of the season. The lad is a class act and a great player to watch. In a few years time, the same fans will be moaning "why did we sell him so cheap".

I don't think anybody really wants to sell him as everyone knows he is a talent.

However many would argue he doesnt currently deserve a place in the starting line up.

His appearance in the starting line up would also not result in an expansive attacking style of play.

Edited by palmer1

Defensive boring football it will be this season, if he is the player to go that says a lot about the managers intentions. A back four with two holding midfielders, it will be a yawn fest especially at home, I had hoped Kelly was true to his word about expansive attacking football but its probably not going to be anything like that.

The clear suggestion from the GMR interview was that Kelly had little or no say in, or knowledge of, who goes.