JPT Round 1: Shrewsbury Town 2 Oldham Athletic 0

Yup, as well as anyone who has any kind of affiliation with Bristol City.

How can anyone with any knowledge of football take any satisfaction from their team winning this cup? To qualify you have to be in this :censored: league or below, how is that any good?

If you're in doubt, go and stand in front of a mirror, put your excited face on and say excitedly "Yes! We've won the JPT cup!" Then go and get a biscuit, the biscuit will be of more value.

Literally the only justification anybody has for the JPT is that they get to go to Wembley.

If you moved the final to Villa Park would the same people become disinterested in the tournament? Surely the venue for the final can't be the only reason for a tournament to exist...

Just go to an England game if you're that desperate to see Wembley.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally the only justification anybody has for the JPT is that they get to go to Wembley.

If you moved the final to Villa Park would the same people become disinterested in the tournament? Surely the venue for the final can't be the only reason for a tournament to exist...

I would rather watch Latics in a final at Villa Park than England anywhere!!

I'd much rather see my club walk out of Wembley than England. I'm sure you would go to the final if we ever made it?

I'd much rather be at a club where the fans don't pick and choose when to lose, winning believe it or not is a good habit to have, it generally has a positive effect on a multitude of things, fans who want us knocked out of cups are a bit of a mystery to me and it is sadly further evidence of how far we have sunk.

How one email can cause such a u-turn...

Any praise for Holden for tightening up the defence unit this season? Or does that not suit your agenda?

Its not my agenda its my opinion, and no praise for Holden from me for a defensive unit that has been lucky not to concede a lot more. The defending from set plays has been abysmal - which I would have thought one of the basics in defensive coaching.

Edited by BP1960

I have just read the match report on the official site and am sure much of it could have been written before the game.

Latics started slowly.

Latics knocked the ball around comfortably but without any purpose.

Latics conceded and it was all there own fault.

Latics couldn't break down the opposition's stubborn defence.

I am not surprised they couldn't! Who has ever heard of a 3 2 3 2 formation? If the opposition can't defend an attack that narrow they must be bad.

I am sure the idea is to make the pitch big when in possession using the full width to create space. Then make it as small as possible to restrict space when the other team have the ball.

He has a point though.

Before Holden we were scoring at 1.4 goals a game.

Since Holden joined we've been scoring at 1 goal a game.

That is quite a big decrease. I'm not saying he is right to lay the blame on Holden - obviously a coach only has a certain influence - but the stats support BP.

Could it be a case that the manager and coach are foremost defenders? Johnson & Sheridan were attacking midfielders; Dickov, Ritchie, Dowie being strikers. People can break their mould but interesting that many teams that play attractive, attacking football are managed by strikers - it's the mindset and experience.

I'm not saying ship out Kelly but perhaps get Tony P back into the coaching? The strikers we have can achieve, have the knowledge no experience but just need to guidance, application and sharpening to score

Its not my agenda its my opinion, and no praise for Holden from me for a defensive unit that has been lucky not to concede a lot more. The defending from set plays has been abysmal - which I would have thought one of the basics in defensive coaching.

So what is your former defender mate Darren doing whilst Holden is taking all the training and dictating all the tactics? Sharpening his pencils perhaps? Ironing his pants for the weekend?

So what is your former defender mate Darren doing whilst Holden is taking all the training and dictating all the tactics? Sharpening his pencils perhaps? Ironing his pants for the weekend?

First of all he's not my mate he's a manager who I simply made recommendations to. It's up to him to liaise with the coach, and if its not working as he wants he should change things. If he is happy with the currents tactics so be it, it wont stop me giving my own opinions though.

Edited by BP1960

I have just read the match report on the official site and am sure much of it could have been written before the game.

Latics started slowly.

Latics knocked the ball around comfortably but without any purpose.

Latics conceded and it was all there own fault.

Latics couldn't break down the opposition's stubborn defence.

I am not surprised they couldn't! Who has ever heard of a 3 2 3 2 formation? If the opposition can't defend an attack that narrow they must be bad.

I am sure the idea is to make the pitch big when in possession using the full width to create space. Then make it as small as possible to restrict space when the other team have the ball.

Grandison is one of the slowest defenders around yet he's been made to look a world beater twice against us.

I saw him in one match run at by two fast strikers and he couldnt cope, what do we do, we play one isolated striker up front and let him dominate.

Edited by BP1960

The most galling aspect about last night was that none of the management team picked up on Shrewsbury's weakness especially at centrehalf from the first game, Grandison had our striker in his pocket on both occasions, a total mismatch to be fair and we made an ordinary player look good, a player by all accounts who has struggled against most forwards he has faced in League one this season.

There are a few things I don't get about people being happy we lost...

1. We lost! How can that be a good thing?

2. After 20 years in the same division with hardly anything to get excited about how can we get snobby about a day out at Wembley in the 'wrong' competition?

3. We have a big squad and no reserve team, the JPT is the ideal place for the fringe players to get game time and try and show form.

Unless you get to the final, you lose money in this competiton every time you play in it. With our rumoured financial shortcomings for the new stand and the need to get rid of some dead wood in our squad, I was not that bothered about us not being arsed about winning, and I was one of the 133 who went.

Yes you can get to Wembley, we have been one of the stronger sides in the competition for the 20 years we have been playing in it. The closest we have gotten to Wembley- a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Chesterfield, a team we had beaten in the league 5-2 a few months earlier.

We do have a big squad, but only in midfield and up-front, we've just signed a loan CB and prior to yesterday we had one fit CB with first-team experience, who is available to play there. Our third-choice CB is needed to play RB or Holding midfield. We had two number 10s playing holding midfield (Jones' best position is number 10 for me). Our big CF is out for 12 weeks with a broken ankle, our other big CF is out for another game on international duty. Our squad isn't that big at the moment. One of our other forwards can't really play 3 games in a week (so was never likely to play much in the competition)

Furthermore the competition rules state you can't give too many fringe players a game, or face a fine (see my first point). We played our backup GK, a back-up winger (who may well soon be a first choice player), a back-up forward, who was covering for our forward who can't really play 3 games in a week, our first choice RB at LB, our first choice (through injury) DM at RB. We didn't play our former England international who cannot play 60 minutes, nevermind 3 games in a week and played some kid with little first-team experience at our level. Plus a young CB on debut.

We gave as many fringe players as we could a start last night- we were poor, a lot of the fringe players didn't take their opportunity. Or they are not good enough, thusly our squad isn't that big because if the fringe players are not good enough then they are only going to play when injuries and other reasons mean they have to.

Edited by rudemedic

Look s teams who have won it in the past established teams who have been in higher divisions of still are. Why are fans looking down their noses at this competition. What do we have to look forward to a relegation battle and a mid table finish

Luton won it a few years ago, they couldn't defend it, because they were relegated to the Conference. Something that was decided in August. They have a very similar pedigree to us.

Remind me again, how did we do in the JPT in 2012-13, in case you can't remember that was the year we knocked the 5 time European champions out of the FA cup?

If we had won it that year which one do you think the fans would be talking about now, personally I think it wouldn't be the trip to Wembley, but I may be biased as I've been to Wembley.

Grandison is one of the slowest defenders around yet he's been made to look a world beater twice against us.

I saw him on one match run at by two fast strikers and he couldnt cope, what do we do, we play one isolated striker up front and let him dominate.

Grandison didn't look a world beater last night, you cannot look a world beater when the only things you have to do you nearly cock-up. We didn't give him enough to do, I could tell you why, but I already have done for the most part above.

Grandison didn't look a world beater last night, you cannot look a world beater when the only things you have to do you nearly cock-up. We didn't give him enough to do, I could tell you why, but I already have done for the most part above.

We are top heavy with players who are just not good enough, maybe if no one wants them in January we can pay some off. I imagine though that may be easier said than done.

Luton won it a few years ago, they couldn't defend it, because they were relegated to the Conference. Something that was decided in August. They have a very similar pedigree to us.

Remind me again, how did we do in the JPT in 2012-13, in case you can't remember that was the year we knocked the 5 time European champions out of the FA cup?

If we had won it that year which one do you think the fans would be talking about now, personally I think it wouldn't be the trip to Wembley, but I may be biased as I've been to Wembley.

i would always remember my first trip to Wembley with Oldham over anything. A lot of fans on here have seen us at Wembley and in the premier league. What have the younger generation seen, two play off attempts and two JPT northern final defeats. At the moment the Chesterfield loss a few years back is the biggest heartbreak supporting the team and that came in the JPT.

i would always remember my first trip to Wembley with Oldham over anything. A lot of fans on here have seen us at Wembley and in the premier league. What have the younger generation seen, two play off attempts and two JPT northern final defeats. At the moment the Chesterfield loss a few years back is the biggest heartbreak supporting the team and that came in the JPT.

True, that's why I included my caveat. I'm not sure of the percentage of Oldham fans who didn't see the glory years are but I doubt it is a majority, yet.

IIRC neither play-off campaign would have meant a trip to Wembley when the season started, Blackpool did win at Wembley but it had only been opened for a few months prior to that.

The FA cup is a good chance of getting to Wembley too, we weren't that far off a few years ago and a team from this level made it less than 18 months ago.

What, worse than the last playoff semi final loss?

We are top heavy with players who are just not good enough, maybe if no one wants them in January we can pay some off. I imagine though that may be easier said than done.

Admittedly it was early days pre-season and he may have been hedging his bets but Kelly stated he had inherited a really strong squad and just needed to add. If the likes of Poleon, Turner and Brown have become :censored:e overnight then why not farm them out sooner and why extend deals (Brown).

All of these players are capable of performing at this level either adding value in the first team week in, week out or steadying the ship when we have injuries.

As someone stated in another post, Poleon has raw pace and that's an asset at this level. He also chipped in with some goals last season and I personally think at this level with effective tactics, coaching and playing to his strengths, he can score himself or get us goals through penalties and free kicks in dangerous positions like likes of Wayne Andrews and Jermaine Johnson did when they were here. Turner is promising and Murphy scored 14 from 41 games at this level.

I'm scratching my head as to why our goal return thus far is so low - we have the personnel and need to amend the formation and tactics to play to our squads strengths. We don't have the luxury of bringing in players adhoc to slot into Kelly's preferred formation so we have to work around them and play to the strengths of the players the manager and owners brought to the club.

Admittedly it was early days pre-season and he may have been hedging his bets but Kelly stated he had inherited a really strong squad and just needed to add. If the likes of Poleon, Turner and Brown have become :censored:e overnight then why not farm them out sooner and why extend deals (Brown).

All of these players are capable of performing at this level either adding value in the first team week in, week out or steadying the ship when we have injuries.

As someone stated in another post, Poleon has raw pace and that's an asset at this level. He also chipped in with some goals last season and I personally think at this level with effective tactics, coaching and playing to his strengths, he can score himself or get us goals through penalties and free kicks in dangerous positions like likes of Wayne Andrews and Jermaine Johnson did when they were here. Turner is promising and Murphy scored 14 from 41 games at this level.

I'm scratching my head as to why our goal return thus far is so low - we have the personnel and need to amend the formation and tactics to play to our squads strengths. We don't have the luxury of bringing in players adhoc to slot into Kelly's preferred formation so we have to work around them and play to the strengths of the players the manager and owners brought to the club.

We don't score many goals because we just don't get enough players in and around the penalty area, one isolated striker doesn't help, until that changes I'm afraid things will remain the same.

Edited by BP1960

We don't score many goals because we just don't get enough players in and around the penalty area, one isolated striker doesn't help, until that changes things will remain the same.

You've hit the nail on the head. I'm bemused with comments that were top heavy with players not good enough. I genuinely believe we have one of the strongest squads in many a season in respect of creating chances with the capability of scoring goals.

Jones, Dunn and Green (according to people who have seen him before he joined us) can score from free kicks, we have players who have the pace and quality to get into the box and bring others into play and cause numerous threats and chances. Playing just one up front is lunacy and with our squad our strength is attack, width, crosses and keeping the ball in their half and the final third.

My concern was leaking goals but ironically our defend has held up well so far in the league and this Celtic kid comes with a lot of promising comments.

But do you want your first time at Wembley watching Latics to be so apathetic? I honestly couldn't care less if we won or lost in the JPT, even if we reached the final. I want winning at Wembley to be the best feeling you can feel as a fan, and only a play off final (or cup final, as unlikely as it is) could that happen.

Maybe I'm being daft...

When you put it like that, it's quite sad. True, but a little sad.