JPT Round 1: Shrewsbury Town 2 Oldham Athletic 0

Just back, dont care if it's the JPT, there were around 100 of us made the trip and to be frank it was a :censored:ing disgraceful performance. They should have won 6-0, we had 0 good chances, the midfield was absymal, stray pass after stray pass, about 3000 offsides. I regretted going after 10 mins.

The manager should pin that on the dressing room wall.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just arrived home now. First point I want to get off my chest I think it was a disgrace the club didn't run an official coach to tonight's game.

Second, what a poor game that was. two shots on target all game and the sidewards backwards passing was awful to watch. Endless offsides from us, I think croft was caught at least 5 times.

Ratings

Cornell 4 couldn't really do anything with the goals

Dieng. 4 didn't really do anything wrong but offers little

Edmondson 5 looked solid until a dodgy back pass

Wilson 4 not his best game gave the back pass away

Brown. 3 poor no confidence to go forward

Croft. 2 offered little born to be offside

Jones. 2 abysmal hardly looked to go forward

Philliskirk 2 never a central midfielder in a million years

Green 5 looked to get forward and actually shot

yeates. 6 MOM best of a bad bunch drove at the defence and looked to attack just wrong decision making at times

Turner 1 poor. centre half had him in his back pocket all game needs to play alongside someone

subs

Murphy 3 ran around and should have had a penalty

Forte 3 didn't touch the when he came on

tuhoy NA I gave up watching by then

Edited by SavageTheBeast

Sounded like the usual backwards/sideways passing, two holding midfielders, and one up front again. Does the coach know anything else?, he seems at odds with the manager's philosophy of expansive football.

How one email can cause such a u-turn...

Any praise for Holden for tightening up the defence unit this season? Or does that not suit your agenda?

Great result!

Say it every year so might as well keep it going, :censored: cup and hate being in it. I bet there isn't one Bristol City fan who has utter the phrase "I'm so please we won the JPT" and neither would we if we won it.

Well done to all involved to make it look like we fulfilled our commitment to the competition now lets leave it to the other mugs to get unnecessary bookings and injuries.

Great result!

Say it every year so might as well keep it going, :censored: cup and hate being in it. I bet there isn't one Bristol City fan who has utter the phrase "I'm so please we won the JPT" and neither would we if we won it.

Well done to all involved to make it look like we fulfilled our commitment to the competition now lets leave it to the other mugs to get unnecessary bookings and injuries.

You mean all 40,000 who had a great day out at Wembley?

There are a few things I don't get about people being happy we lost...

1. We lost! How can that be a good thing?

2. After 20 years in the same division with hardly anything to get excited about how can we get snobby about a day out at Wembley in the 'wrong' competition?

3. We have a big squad and no reserve team, the JPT is the ideal place for the fringe players to get game time and try and show form.

2. After 20 years in the same division with hardly anything to get excited about how can we get snobby about a day out at Wembley in the 'wrong' competition?

3. We have a big squad and no reserve team, the JPT is the ideal place for the fringe players to get game time and try and show form.

The abandonment of reserve leagues has been a big mistake IMO, I'm sure many clubs (even top flight) would now like to reform for example a Central League of two divisions.

Under 18s at our level and Under 21s higher are finding it hard to step up to a more a physical style football.

The loanee system is I understand being changed, so we will see if that has the effect of bringing back reserve teams.

Edited by BP1960

Booing the team off.

At a JPT match.

In September.

Right! The delicate little flowers on the pitch should have been heartily applauded for what by all accounts was a performance full of effort and quality, just lacking a tiny bit of luck!

And all our band of supporters did was have the privilege of paying out to travel to a place not just round the corner, on a Tuesday night to offer their support in a competition a lot of people regard as a waste of time. Our fans really don't know they're born..

Much prefer it if we'd won - just as in every game - but the faux hysteria in the reaction of some is a nonsense.

We went out of a competition that doesn't count for that much - just as in 1990 we went out of the ZDS Cup to Sheffield Utd 7-2 !

If individual players - not the manager or coach - had put away pretty straightforward chances at Bury then can anyone genuinely say the reaction to ladt night would have been the same.

It was a changed team last night - and last Saturday the team played attacking football, creating chances. Are people saying that it disobeyed instructions to play cautiously?!

Much prefer it if we'd won - just as in every game - but the faux hysteria in the reaction of some is a nonsense.

Totally agree. It's almost as if the knives were being sharpened just waiting for an excuse to stick them in. One bad JPT game and all the positives from the league games are forgotten.

What really pissed me off last night was the quality of football, players should be playing with freedom. some fringe players had a chance to impress but they were far from impressive. I dont know how we are going to keep fans when playing like this we lost 350 fans from Fleetwood to Shrewsbury. People may preach we are unbeaten but it's one win seven playing dire football.

It was nice of Darren kelly to go and stand in shrewsburys half when applauding the away fans...

Edited by SavageTheBeast

You mean all 40,000 who had a great day out at Wembley?

Yup, as well as anyone who has any kind of affiliation with Bristol City.

How can anyone with any knowledge of football take any satisfaction from their team winning this cup? To qualify you have to be in this :censored: league or below, how is that any good?

If you're in doubt, go and stand in front of a mirror, put your excited face on and say excitedly "Yes! We've won the JPT cup!" Then go and get a biscuit, the biscuit will be of more value.

How can anyone with any knowledge of football take any satisfaction from their team winning this cup? To qualify you have to be in this :censored: league or below, how is that any good?

If you're in doubt, go and stand in front of a mirror, put your excited face on and say excitedly "Yes! We've won the JPT cup!" Then go and get a biscuit, the biscuit will be of more value.

Likewise I will take no satisfaction if we win the division, for to qualify we have to be in this :censored: league, and that is no good.

I want us to win every game. I hate losing. And a by product of that is wanting us to win the JPT.

The way you've phrased that suggests anyone happy about winning the JPT would have fulfilled their life goals. I'd be happy about it as it might generate a winning atmosphere around the place and lead to us finally getting out of this division. Plus I'd have a great day on the piss watching it. But no, we were once founding members of the premier league don't you know, this sort of thing is beneath us.

My attitude was forged in a 7-2 defeat at Sheffield United (after going 2-0 up, if i remember correctly). I didn't care then and i don't care now. It's a pointless tin pot cup which generates no interest until you get to the northern final.

As a supporter I want the club to win every game, if the players don't think that way they shouldn't be at the club.

And as if by magic, a bloke at work is clearing his desk and has just shown me two pictures, one of him with the FA Cup and the other of him with the European Cup after Heysel.

Even if we won the JPT next year, would anyone have their photo taken with the cup? Or show it to people some 20-30 years later?

Likewise I will take no satisfaction if we win the division, for to qualify we have to be in this :censored: league, and that is no good.

Fair point, I'd rather us win it and get out via promotion than not or get relegated further. It's a :censored: league to be in, it's also a :censored: cup competition.

And as if by magic, a bloke at work is clearing his desk and has just shown me two pictures, one of him with the FA Cup and the other of him with the European Cup after Heysel.

Even if we won the JPT next year, would anyone have their photo taken with the cup? Or show it to people some 20-30 years later?

If you're only going to get excited about winning trophies at that level then you're probably following the wrong team! :OASISscarf:

How one email can cause such a u-turn...

Any praise for Holden for tightening up the defence unit this season? Or does that not suit your agenda?

He has a point though.

Before Holden we were scoring at 1.4 goals a game.

Since Holden joined we've been scoring at 1 goal a game.

That is quite a big decrease. I'm not saying he is right to lay the blame on Holden - obviously a coach only has a certain influence - but the stats support BP.