No hiding place!

As if Saturday wasn't enough! I was sitting in a piazza in Italy this evening with a glass of chianti. Amazingly a chap with a Latics motifed polo shirt walked past....obviously I made my allegiance to the club known......big mistake! I got a 15 minute diatribe about all things manager, results and North Stand related. When he went my wife simply said " he wasn't happy was he?" I simply said that he probably sits in the main stand

Was in NZ earlier this year seeing family and decided one day to wear the home shirt. Eventually triggered a response ... words of " oh look a bloody latics shirt! Have they signed that rapist yet? " .. bloody tourists!!!!

My brother had the same earlier this year in a random outpost somewhere in China - he got talking to a businessman who was asking if they'd built the new stand yet.

I was in the (lame not Ultra) section of the Lazio support wearing the horrid yellow shirt from when Ernie was with us. As it was exactly like a Frosinone shirt, whose end we couldn't get tickets for.

Most hostile reaction was from a Chesterfield fan who thought I was Mansfield.

Was in NZ earlier this year seeing family and decided one day to wear the home shirt. Eventually triggered a response ... words of " oh look a bloody latics shirt! Have they signed that rapist yet? " .. bloody tourists!!!!

That said a couple of years ago I was on the Independence of the Seas on my biannual transatlantic crossing in the bar watching the live footy. Had organised a shirt swap with an American fella from north carolina ( shirt was sky blue from their university - go tar heels! ) so reciprocated with a fully badged up Latics home shirt with Cooksey and number etc on the back.

Was explain to him who Ernie was and what he meant to us etc etc and the ethos he took into the game with him - remember QPR at home where they were wasting time nr the corner flag so he piled drived into them??? Ha ha ha

.. anyways I'm explaining this to this yank and he's beginning to think he's go the shirt of some god like player, this fella on the table next to us turns around and says to this yank that he should be proud to wear it as he was a mate of Ernies dad and couldn't believe what he was hearing. He simply said he wished his dad was on the same cruise but he'd tell him the story when he got home.

Everytime I saw the guy he had the Latics shirt on lol

Edited by thetramdriver

I lived in New Brunswick, Canada for 6 months. Didn't meet another Brit for the entire time apart from New Year's Eve 2012/13, a lad walked past me in a hotel, and recognised my accent. Turned out to be an ex Latics youth team player. His name escapes me but he played with Matty Wolfenden etc.

I was in a local bar in Cyprus many years ago. My friend and I were asked, where we where from. My friend answered Manchester, as it was more recognisable than Oldham. The response was the usual UTD connection. Being a tics fan, I said that I was actually from Oldham. An old Cypriat guy at the end of the bar, jumped up shouting "Joe Royal, Joe Royal"

That said a couple of years ago I was on the Independence of the Seas on my biannual transatlantic crossing in the bar watching the live footy. Had organised a shirt swap with an American fella from north carolina ( shirt was sky blue from their university - go tar heels! ) so reciprocated with a fully badged up Latics home shirt with Cooksey and number etc on the back.

Was explain to him who Ernie was and what he meant to us etc etc and the ethos he took into the game with him - remember QPR at home where they were wasting time nr the corner flag so he piled drived into them??? Ha ha ha

.. anyways I'm explaining this to this yank and he's beginning to think he's go the shirt of some god like player, this fella on the table next to us turns around and says to this yank that he should be proud to wear it as he was a mate of Ernies dad and couldn't believe what he was hearing. He simply said he wished his dad was on the same cruise but he'd tell him the story when he got home.

Everytime I saw the guy he had the Latics shirt on lol

Lovely anecdote that, mate. :chubb:

In 2013 I was in a little shop in Wadi Rum wearing a Zidane tee-shirt. An old Jordanian chap recognised it and in broken English started talking football; asking where I was from, did I support United etc. When I said "Oldham Athletic" he screwed his face up thoughtfully for a moment before lighting up and proclaiming "Ahhhh! Scholesy's team!"

Edited by LaticsChris

I was in Tenerife once when we played Leeds in a cup.

It was being streamed online and I'd asked in several bars but nobody was showing it.

Lo & behold, on the morning of the game a lad was walking towards me wearing our tangerine away top.

I asked him if he'd found anywhere that had the match on later.

"What match?" he asked in a southern accent.

I told him and he said "Oh, this top? Some bloke on the beach gave it me. I don't support them. They're fackin :censored:"

I was wearing one of my Latics home shirt a while back while jogging through one of the rougher parts of Dublin... There was a down and out heroin addict slouched in a doorway, and as I ran past he shouted "Go on Oldham, Andy Richie!"... Fair play to him - he didn't look like he was aware of anything else going on in the world!

I was wearing one of my Latics home shirt a while back while jogging through one of the rougher parts of Dublin... There was a down and out heroin addict slouched in a doorway, and as I ran past he shouted "Go on Oldham, Andy Richie!"... Fair play to him - he didn't look like he was aware of anything else going on in the world!

I hope you gave him some of your heroin

I was in Sharm in 2013 where they are united mad. After about ten days of confused faces when i told the locals/taxi drivers i supported Oldham, one finally turned round and went 'yess Matt Smith, liverpool'. Safe to say he got a nice tip.

Duting the Anglo Italian Cup away trip to Genoa back in 1994 (or was it 1995), a group of us stumbled upon a bar that was a shrine to Sampdoria and particular Roberto Mancini. When we went inside the staff seemed particularly backwards in coming forward to serve us, until some older guy (who I assume was the owner) appeared from the back somewhere with a particularly stern face. As he walked out I pointed to one of the photo's, gave the thumbs up sign saying "Mancini"! His whole expression changed into a beaming smile, and he got a round of drinks out for us shouting "Mancini, Mancini" as he went along. After we'd enjoyed a few drinks we left leaving the owner with a Latics scarf to hang up as it the tradition in bars overseas.

Some 10 or so years later I visited Genoa again in a work capacity and was describing to my Italian host the bar I'd visited during my last visit to the city. By some miracle he was able from my description to take me back to the place, and as we went inside the Latics scarf was still there hung up on the wall. I got my host to ask the bar man the story behind the scarf, the translated reply that came back was "we were visted by some English football fans who we thought were going to smash the bar up, so we gave them a few free drinks and allowed them to hang the scarf up to keep them friendly."

Still makes me chuckle to this day that :laught30:

My parents lived near Larnaca in Cyrous for a few years up until 2009. They went almost daily (as you do when you're retired) to a little gift shop / bar / cafe near the beach for their lunch. Over the years, the got friendly with the owner, got talking football, and as they were moving away, he asked for my Dad's Latics top to add to his football memorabilia collection for the bat display.

Of course, my dad obliged, and even chucked a scarf in as well. But unwise really, as they were moving back to England because Cyprus was too hot. Who'da thunk it?

Anyway, they went back on hols a few months later and found the Latics top and scarf 'for sale' in the shop bit. My Dad was quite offended. And realised England is cold, and surreptitiously stole his scarf back. To be fair. It was never going to be much of a money spinner...

My parents lived near Larnaca in Cyrous for a few years up until 2009. They went almost daily (as you do when you're retired) to a little gift shop / bar / cafe near the beach for their lunch. Over the years, the got friendly with the owner, got talking football, and as they were moving away, he asked for my Dad's Latics top to add to his football memorabilia collection for the bat display.

Of course, my dad obliged, and even chucked a scarf in as well. But unwise really, as they were moving back to England because Cyprus was too hot. Who'da thunk it?

Anyway, they went back on hols a few months later and found the Latics top and scarf 'for sale' in the shop bit. My Dad was quite offended. And realised England is cold, and surreptitiously stole his scarf back. To be fair. It was never going to be much of a money spinner...

The important thing here is that your parents went on holiday to a place they'd been to every day for several years a few months after they decided to leave there.

• 2 months later...

Duting the Anglo Italian Cup away trip to Genoa back in 1994 (or was it 1995), a group of us stumbled upon a bar that was a shrine to Sampdoria and particular Roberto Mancini. When we went inside the staff seemed particularly backwards in coming forward to serve us, until some older guy (who I assume was the owner) appeared from the back somewhere with a particularly stern face. As he walked out I pointed to one of the photo's, gave the thumbs up sign saying "Mancini"! His whole expression changed into a beaming smile, and he got a round of drinks out for us shouting "Mancini, Mancini" as he went along. After we'd enjoyed a few drinks we left leaving the owner with a Latics scarf to hang up as it the tradition in bars overseas.

Some 10 or so years later I visited Genoa again in a work capacity and was describing to my Italian host the bar I'd visited during my last visit to the city. By some miracle he was able from my description to take me back to the place, and as we went inside the Latics scarf was still there hung up on the wall. I got my host to ask the bar man the story behind the scarf, the translated reply that came back was "we were visted by some English football fans who we thought were going to smash the bar up, so we gave them a few free drinks and allowed them to hang the scarf up to keep them friendly."

Still makes me chuckle to this day that :laught30:

Genoa 13.12.1995 picture tweeted by Martin Thomas.

23379073973_a5e019abc7_o.jpg

Moe's tavern Es Cana in Ibiza, there is/was a white Latics flag with 'keep the faith' written on it. Also when I went to Punta Prima in Menorca 3 years ago there was a bar man from Warrington who had family that supported Latics, said guy 'prophecised' that we'd beat Liverpool in the cup