An open letter to the club

I've said this on here before, but as a 24 year old supporter I just don't see the point in going. I've seen absolutely sod all success whilst I've been supporting this club which I love to my bare bones (for some insane reason)

I'm not interested in climbing the leagues or setting the cups on fire, I just want to see 11 players who will put their all in for the shirt. The only one I see doing that is Liam Kelly but there's only so much sideways passing can do. The greatest professional I've ever seen play for this club was Paul Warne. :censored: me that bloke ran his goddamn socks off every second of every game. Why? Because he :censored:ing cared.

This current group of players aren't even fit to pull on our shirt if that sorry display yesterday was all they could muster against, let's be fair, a terrible crewe side.

My point being is this: I know of 4 people personally that have :censored:ed latics off and started supporting city, and whilst I find this abhorrent and treacherous, can you really blame them? This club Is in my blood and I wouldn't even consider switching my allegiances, but I'm so disinterested in the club after this shambolic season that I just don't give a :censored: anymore. That was my last game for a long time I think. I work 45 hours a week in a Wetherspoons for minimum wage, £20 is a chunk of my wage for me when all my bill come out.

This club is dying a death and in my opinion, things will only start getting better with a new board/set of owners. How that's going to happen I don't know, and I just don't care.

Finding it very difficult to keep the faith

Paul Warne. :censored:in A1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People still think the delay in the stand was the electricity? Ffs.

You'll have to look at the board members of the company running the construction to see why Latics haven't been too critical of this shambolic build. If you don't know where to look do a quick check on which companies Simon Corney is on the board of.

The original post may be the best post that's been put on this site.

Time for the fans to wake up now. Latics have paid for a stand we don't own. The profits of functions etc seem to go into a different company as well. We've broken even (ish) in a few of the recent seasons through cup runs and the odd sale despite the stand saga. If we can bin Corney off and get the ground back then I'm all for it. If we can't get the ground back and the money the new stand will make we're screwed.

I didn't know this.:censored: me. This post needs to be read by EVERY Latics fan. I knew we were being shafted but I didn't realise the extent. What a bunch of gangsters.

Awesome post, though your avatar is deeply offensive to me.

Does there need to be a full explanation to everyone?

We know there was an issue with connecting the electricity etc which caused a delay in finishing some work, however fans who bought standard seats are now in.

I'd be surprised if the club hasn't been in contact with box holders and OEC with those who have Christmas dues. But does that require a full public statement? No.

The Christmas dues are OEC business, not Oldham Athletic. So who gives a statement?

What about fans interested in using the bars..? Or just wanting to know when the thing is actually finished. I do not see the need for all the secrecy. They only let fans know on the day of the Sheffield United game that it would be open. Have we even been told it's open for full capacity yet? What about the Gym? No shh If we go down i doubt it will be finished.

Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

I didn't know this.:censored: me. This post needs to be read by EVERY Latics fan. I knew we were being shafted but I didn't realise the extent. What a bunch of gangsters.

Awesome post, though your avatar is deeply offensive to me.

This is not new news.

And you can't conveniently ignore £6m, much as you would like to.

Ideal, no. But it can have tax advantages speperating the businesses. Does it in our case, we don't know for sure.

But it is not automatically wrong.

And you are forgetting we will have got a more bespoke stand a hell of a lot cheaper than using a regular construction company, even if it took longer.

He's not the Messiah, but he not an Oyston.

Edited by singe

Whislt the Baord did not handle aspects of the Evans saga well, uiltimately they backed the manager. It was his request. He then hung them out to dry and just walked. The issue with Evans was much more to do with Johnson than anything else.

Kelly was an appalling choice.

Dunn an extremeley poor one and giving him the contract was ill judged at the time, things had not improved much.

As corney is in the US, and the team spend so much time at Chapel Road (it is quoted that this is the case) then the value of the information back to the decison make is suspect and the person/people giving that information are the one/s that need to be looked at. We do not know for sure who that is/they are.

A half decent manager will get a lot more out of this squad.

The frustrating thing for me is that the playershare money has gone on someone who is quite clearly finished, we've brought in players who clearly aren't top of the manager's pecking order like Eckersley, when money like this could go towards the wages of a manager with better stature than the cheap, inexperience options we continue to opt for.

I'd much rather havee a squad of 18/20 and a well paid manager to coach them, rather than 25/30 and full of short-term signings meaning less money available therefore a cheap and inexperienced manager.

A lot of our players are confidence driven - the likes of Wilson, Winchester & Poleon have proved when they're confident they're much better players.

We have a list of midfielders of which are contracted to Oldham - Kelly, Jones, Winchester & Yeates - that are good enough to be playing in top half teams in the division.

This team should not be where it is at the moment. Not for one second am I avoiding blaming the players themselves, but if we're fed up of the negative :censored:e we watching week in week out, whilst our own players are left to sit on the bench whilst the likes of uninterested loanees a la Fulton get picked week in week out, can you blame them?

The only loanee who looks good enough, and interested, is Dummigan (and Lafferty before he went back). Fulton & Higdon can go for me.

Coleman

Dummigan - J.Wilson - Dieng - Mills

Kelly - Wellens

Winchester - Jones - Yeates

Cassidy

Subs: Cornell, B. Wilson, Brown, Rasulo, Philliskirk, Poleon, Fuller We also have Forte to come back.

Can people honestly say that side is any worse than what's been fielded so far? In that entire squad only Dummigan, Wellens & Rasulo are not Latics players, but nor are they :censored:e either.

Can anyone say that the above side is League 1 relegation fodder? Not a chance (WITH THE RIGHT COACHING).

Edited by sjk2008

A supporter buy out would be a disaster, look at Stockport and how it helped them. What we need is a plan from the board of how they are going to move this club forward. Aiming for 20th in League One every year, surviving thanks to a procession of loanees is not the way forward. If the present board can't come up with a plan then do the decent thing. Sell the club for a fair price to new responsible owners not lunatics like Vaughan or Koukash.

I'm not looking for a billionaire simply someone with the fire in their belly to create stability and a plan to get the club regularly back in the top 10 of the division, with a real tilt at promotion over the next 3-5 years. Walsall, Gillingham, Burton - even Rochdale have managed momentum over the last few years. I'm not looking for Bury's approach as they'll be bust in 18 months with their current model. But Walsall, Burton and Gillingham have a stable playing staff and manager. I'm not against cashing in on a player or two as long as that money is reinvested on FULL TIME replacements not loanees. Short-termism is killing the club. There needs to be a plan....

If the current board can't give us progression, then we need a board that can. BUT a supporter buy out would be lunacy. David Brierley consciously advertised the club's sale in the broadsheets back in 2001, if the current board are actively looking to sell then perhaps rather than stating the club is up for sale perhaps they need to market it better and advertise that fact?

They can't advertise the next match properly...they're hardly going to be able to advertise the sale of the club. But there are a lot of similarities to back in them dark days under Brierley. It took a lot of persuading to get him and Alan Hardy to agree to put the club in the broadsheets. To some extent, Chris Moore proved their fears correct. But since 2004, with the land involved these 3 could have made a far greater fist of it. I don't agree at all with your comment in your original post about the Council...all they had to do was wait 1 more month to get Oldham Arena planning permission pushed through. There was a reason they didn't want to wait...my belief is that they had cotton onto the embryonic idea of FAILSworth and that the potential profit from that close to Manchester, on the tram system etc would be far greater than the Oldham Arena. The line "do this or we die as it's impossible to redevelop Boundary Park" also proved a complete lie. Even the farce of them pulling the plug on FAILSworth without waiting for planning permission seems incredible. The council told them to wait as a land swap for the memorial gardens would happen. The club bottled it. There have been times when the council have shafted the club but in more recent years, this just isn't true. Simon Corney has just been very difficult to deal with.

Going back to 1999 and now though, the big worrying difference is the deeds to Boundary Park are in some off-shore vault having been syphoned off via their company Brassbank. That is the biggest sticking point for me...the season we sold Neal Eardley, Companies House shows we would have turned a profit but for a £1m research and development bill landed on the club relating to FAILSworth. I would have no issue with that if the club still owned the deeds. Someone has quoted a £6m price for a buy out....I hope they are talking club and land in that figure (I believe the figure would be more £8-£10m if so.) The club OAFC alone, you probably could buy for a few quid as it owns nothing. You would buy the club and pay ground rent etc.

One final thing, you're not the first and won't be the last to quote Stockport as a reason to avoid a fan buy-out. But that is a red herring...Sale Sharks owners tactics saw Stockport in the :censored: they're in. He wanted them out of Edgeley Park to redevelop it. I remember talking to Tony O'Shea (darts player) who was heavily involved in the situation back when we last played them and he said that to hire out the boxes for hospitality wasn't worth it and practically cost the fans group. They had to buy catering in-house and were being charged things like £500 for a platter of sandwiches! Stockport were stitched up all roads under the fans buy out. There's no saying that wouldn't happen to us. However, the grant that Simon got given from the council for the new stand came with a 99-year protection at Boundary Park so we couldn't be bulldozed. So there would be less incentive for anyone (including new potential buyers) to ruin us for a new set of houses on BP.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I may get slaughtered for this but who cares.

Obviously I still have an interest but I felt pretty much this way back in 2003 and the reason I felt this way was nothing to do with owners, directors, chairmen or players. It was to do with the fans. It was the reaction that I saw when SAFE was having a go and the reason I felt that way was the propensity of fans to sit on message boards behind pseudonyms and criticise, criticise, snipe a bit and then criticise some more without doing anything about it themselves. It has carried on and on through the sorry history of the trust where doubtless many people had good intentions but got little support and plenty of criticism and it carries on now with the keyboard warriors criticising everything and doing nothing (that is not aimed at anything on this thread by the way).

I recall lots of threads talking about starting a new club if it came to that but have no memory of anyone ever saying that they would actually do it and I recall lots of threads filled with people criticising trust directors but rarely were there volunteers to actually do anything constructive.

There is a recurring theme here and this board is part of it as it is even during decent time it is filled with carping comments and selfish whinges rather than anything constructive, useful or even witty (one or two poster excepted)

And yes, over the last year I do think that the board has made an almighty cock of things.

Echo the sentiments Dave! I remember being asked why we were still bothering now that we had Chris Moore and should disband. People thought we were on some sort of power trip when all we wanted was to find out his long term plans and how we could assist.

As for Trust Oldham, I was in full support of them until I was told that all monies raised wouldn't be used to keep OAFC afloat to the very last minute/penny (to find a buyer) and they would let the club die and save the money to reform a new club. I never agreed with that. However, since then, the best way to go about it is to say little (keyboard sniping at them does no good) and let them get on with it. I have since discussed my views with Trust Directors and it is water under the bridge now. Only Barry Owen deserves criticism for the feathering of his own nest on his one man journey into the club. IMO, that should not be a stain on Trust Oldham though as I don't think Barry has acted in the best interests of the Trust (more for himself) for many years.

Edited by boundaryblue80

bb80, I was going to say get back to your own message board but that is a damned good post.

Do you have any more info re that R & D bill? It wouldnt have shown on Co House would it?

Ah...I meant to say in that post the R & D bill was for FAILSworth. I believe it did show on Companies House...if I recall correctly, it was someone on this forum who looked through the filed accounts and stated it on here. Can't remember who though. Leeslover perhaps?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Ah...I meant to say in that post the R & D bill was for FAILSworth. I believe it did show on Companies House...if I recall correctly, it was someone on this forum who looked through the filed accounts and stated it on here. Can't remember who though. Leeslover perhaps?

OK Ta. Usually Companies House only shows brief accounts being a Balance Sheet with a few notes thereon.

I think that there is no problem with that R & D cost then since we (OAFC Ltd) are the trading tenants. As I see it Brassbank just holds the Land/Ground as an asset!

Hope that you are well!

Leeslover and Latics & England had a look through the books. Long time ago now mind you.

OK Ta. Usually Companies House only shows brief accounts being a Balance Sheet with a few notes thereon.

I think that there is no problem with that R & D cost then since we (OAFC Ltd) are the trading tenants. As I see it Brassbank just holds the Land/Ground as an asset!

Hope that you are well!

Thanks, hope you are too. Brassbank doesn't own the deeds any longer. I believe it doesn't have any assets now. Where the deeds are now, nobody knows.

They can't advertise the next match properly...they're hardly going to be able to advertise the sale of the club. But there are a lot of similarities to back in them dark days under Brierley. It took a lot of persuading to get him and Alan Hardy to agree to put the club in the broadsheets. To some extent, Chris Moore proved their fears correct. But since 2004, with the land involved these 3 could have made a far greater fist of it. I don't agree at all with your comment in your original post about the Council...all they had to do was wait 1 more month to get Oldham Arena planning permission pushed through. There was a reason they didn't want to wait...my belief is that they had cotton onto the embryonic idea of FAILSworth and that the potential profit from that close to Manchester, on the tram system etc would be far greater than the Oldham Arena. The line "do this or we die as it's impossible to redevelop Boundary Park" also proved a complete lie. Even the farce of them pulling the plug on FAILSworth without waiting for planning permission seems incredible. The council told them to wait as a land swap for the memorial gardens would happen. The club bottled it. There have been times when the council have shafted the club but in more recent years, this just isn't true. Simon Corney has just been very difficult to deal with.

On a point of clarification. The Council led the Club to believe the proposed land swap would be approved. The Club went ahead in good faith and purchased the Lancaster Club. It spent money on surveys and preparation of plans. etc for a new stadium. The Council was negligent in not knowing the land was held in trust and could not be redeveloped. The Council's efforts to remedy the situation were blocked by the Charity Commission.

So the Council agreed to compensate the Club by buying the Lancaster Club, re-gearing the lease terms for the Chapel Road training facility, and pay a capital grant of £700,000 as a contribution to the redevelopment of Boundary Park, based on the community work which the Club carries out in the Borough. The grant would be phased and based on the progress of development works at Boundary Park.

Subsequently the Charity Commission reversed its decision.

This item in the Chron sums up the position:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/59382/why-werent-we-told

On a point of clarification. The Council led the Club to believe the proposed land swap would be approved. The Club went ahead in good faith and purchased the Lancaster Club. It spent money on surveys and preparation of plans. etc for a new stadium. The Council was negligent in not knowing the land was held in trust and could not be redeveloped. The Council's efforts to remedy the situation were blocked by the Charity Commission.

So the Council agreed to compensate the Club by buying the Lancaster Club, re-gearing the lease terms for the Chapel Road training facility, and pay a capital grant of £700,000 as a contribution to the redevelopment of Boundary Park, based on the community work which the Club carries out in the Borough. The grant would be phased and based on the progress of development works at Boundary Park.

Subsequently the Charity Commission reversed its decision.

This item in the Chron sums up the position:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/59382/why-werent-we-told

The bit that isn't told here is that The Council had good indication that the Charity Commission would reverse its decision and asked for patience from Corney. None was forthcoming (who knows why? seems ludicrous.) Hence the agreement you have outlined became the arrangement settled on.

Edited by boundaryblue80

The bit that isn't told here is that The Council had good indication that the Charity Commission would reverse its decision and asked for patience from Corney. None was forthcoming (who knows why? seems ludicrous.) Hence the agreement you have outlined became the arrangement settled on.

The 1 thing that has really hit home with me as years go by is the failure of Oldham Arena. Failsworth was always a crap idea in my opinion.

The argument put forward by 1 Councillor to ignore traffic surveys should never have been allowed to happen.

For that I do not blame the Council, I just think that a lot of property owners in all areas would have ensured that it didnt get to that point.

Going back to 1999 and now though, the big worrying difference is the deeds to Boundary Park are in some off-shore vault having been syphoned off via their company Brassbank. That is the biggest sticking point for me...the season we sold Neal Eardley, Companies House shows we would have turned a profit but for a £1m research and development bill landed on the club relating to FAILSworth. I would have no issue with that if the club still owned the deeds. Someone has quoted a £6m price for a buy out....I hope they are talking club and land in that figure (I believe the figure would be more £8-£10m if so.) The club OAFC alone, you probably could buy for a few quid as it owns nothing. You would buy the club and pay ground rent etc.

One final thing, you're not the first and won't be the last to quote Stockport as a reason to avoid a fan buy-out. But that is a red herring...Sale Sharks owners tactics saw Stockport in the :censored: they're in. He wanted them out of Edgeley Park to redevelop it. I remember talking to Tony O'Shea (darts player) who was heavily involved in the situation back when we last played them and he said that to hire out the boxes for hospitality wasn't worth it and practically cost the fans group. They had to buy catering in-house and were being charged things like £500 for a platter of sandwiches! Stockport were stitched up all roads under the fans buy out. There's no saying that wouldn't happen to us. However, the grant that Simon got given from the council for the new stand came with a 99-year protection at Boundary Park so we couldn't be bulldozed. So there would be less incentive for anyone (including new potential buyers) to ruin us for a new set of houses on BP.

A couple of points I donlt agree with, but that is an excellent post BB80. Couple of points I did not know either.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone from the board care to publicly comment on what our aims actually are given that we are now FOUR points adrift of safety and have won ONE home game all season and their saviour in the managerial hot seat has taken two points from 21 in his home games so far.

Edited by oafcprozac