I wouldn't give Coleman much credit for that, although Lafferty doesn't cover himself in glory and it was a smart header.

Still, Coleman is better than Cornell. Neither of them should be a first team keeper in League One.

Little bit harsh on Lafferty. He was under it, the other guy running on to it and just out jumped him. Blame goes on the other two for me, for just watching it drop in.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been too much chopping & changing with the keepers whilst the lack of centre halves who are good or consistent enough hasn't been addressed. Both of the keepers are on a hiding to nothing & a loanee will just suffer in the same way. Who was the last GK loanee that people weren't glad to see the back of?

Young players will inevitably make some mistakes and sometimes you have to stick with them. (Most in here probably agree with that until they actually make a mistake & they get immediately written off). I'm almost certain that if we'd have stuck with Coleman earlier this season, then we'd have been have cashing in on him for a decent amount this year.

Was Paddy Kenny really to blame for some of the results last season?

He didn't cover himself in glory v Yeovil and Cornell/ Coleman would have got dogs abuse if they'd have replicated his mistake v Doncaster. I wasn't at MK Dons so I'm not sure if he stopped a double figure defeat but I believe the decision not to play for us again wasn't necessarily all ours.

Neither are good enough at this particular moment in time to keep goal in this league.

Disagree. The way the defence has performed in front of them over the last few months would leave any keeper exposed. The chopping & changing that went on would impact on any keeper's confidence. Would rather we fix what goes on in front of them before getting another one in that gets slated for being exposed to the same things.

Disagree. The way the defence has performed in front of them over the last few months would leave any keeper exposed. The chopping & changing that went on would impact on any keeper's confidence. Would rather we fix what goes on in front of them before getting another one in that gets slated for being exposed to the same things.

The defence cannot legislate for a goalkeeper letting the ball slip through his hands, letting the ball loop over his head, parrying it straight to an onrushing attacker, dropping it when it goes directly at your chest etc.

I don't disagree the defence has exposed the 'keepers, but it's clutching at straws when you consider some of the individual errors made. Nor do we have the time to prove whether your theory is correct or not...

I don't disagree the defence has exposed the 'keepers, but it's clutching at straws when you consider some of the individual errors made. Nor do we have the time to prove whether your theory is correct or not...

But perhaps we dont have the money to disprove it?

Goalie or Centre Back! Perhaps we cannot have both!

Little bit harsh on Lafferty. He was under it, the other guy running on to it and just out jumped him. Blame goes on the other two for me, for just watching it drop in.

Lafferty had plenty of time to judge the cross, he's not looked fit since he returned and couldnt get his feet off the ground. I wouldn't surprise me if Shez preferred Mills at left wing back against Bury under the 3 centre backs system.

In his defence Coleman's positioning was also poor as he had plenty of time to move to the far post and collect the ball.

Edited by BP1960

Having just seen the highlights, I'm not convinced that Coleman was at fault. The ball was slung over from their left wing, so Coleman's positioning was pretty much spot on for that. He'd never have got to the cross because it was hit so high out of his reach. I'm not convinced that the header was even meant to be on target, more an attempt to just get it back in the mix. The fact that it looped up so much, more or less took Coleman out of the game. I don't think Lafferty should have been beaten to the header, anyway.

High looping headers, or shots of any kind, are one of the most difficult efforts for a goalkeeper to deal with. Think of all the free kicks you see that are hit up and over the wall, starting at a point way over the crossbar and then dropping. Remember Robbie Simpson's header at Nottingham Forest in the cup? I, for one, thought it was going over the bar, but then it dropped in over Lee Camp, who's no mug at the goalkeeping lark.

So many are saying that neither Coleman nor Cornell are League 1 keepers. That's a bit different from the latter stages of last season when it was more or less universally agreed that Coleman deserved to be No1 and will go on to have a great career. I think Dunn shattered his confidence when he dropped him far too quickly instead of staying with him and then sticking with Cornell who dropped bollock after bollock. That won't have done Coleman's confidence any good knowing he can't get in the team when his rival was able to keep the shirt when he wasn't deserving of it.

Coleman, remember, is only 20. Goalkeepers don't normally reach their peak until late 20s/early 30s, so he has a lot of developing to do. The lad needs a confidence boost and that can be achieved in two ways. 1) you stick with him and accept that he will make mistakes, but will develop with the right coaching or, 2) put an arm round his shoulder, say "We're deep in the :censored: here, lad. It puts you under a lot of pressure because of your inexperience, but you need to keep playing first team football." Then, once he understands it is for his own development, let him go out on loan and let him realise that he will be a better keeper when he comes back.

Cornell? Let him go to anyone who'll have him and bring in an experienced keeper, if one is available. Alternatively, bring in a real talent from a Championship/Premier League club who can't quite oust the current incumbent, but would, like Coleman if he goes out on loan, benefit from first team football.

Having just seen the highlights, I'm not convinced that Coleman was at fault. The ball was slung over from their left wing, so Coleman's positioning was pretty much spot on for that. He'd never have got to the cross because it was hit so high out of his reach. I'm not convinced that the header was even meant to be on target, more an attempt to just get it back in the mix. The fact that it looped up so much, more or less took Coleman out of the game. I don't think Lafferty should have been beaten to the header, anyway.

High looping headers, or shots of any kind, are one of the most difficult efforts for a goalkeeper to deal with. Think of all the free kicks you see that are hit up and over the wall, starting at a point way over the crossbar and then dropping. Remember Robbie Simpson's header at Nottingham Forest in the cup? I, for one, thought it was going over the bar, but then it dropped in over Lee Camp, who's no mug at the goalkeeping lark.

So many are saying that neither Coleman nor Cornell are League 1 keepers. That's a bit different from the latter stages of last season when it was more or less universally agreed that Coleman deserved to be No1 and will go on to have a great career. I think Dunn shattered his confidence when he dropped him far too quickly instead of staying with him and then sticking with Cornell who dropped bollock after bollock. That won't have done Coleman's confidence any good knowing he can't get in the team when his rival was able to keep the shirt when he wasn't deserving of it.

Coleman, remember, is only 20. Goalkeepers don't normally reach their peak until late 20s/early 30s, so he has a lot of developing to do. The lad needs a confidence boost and that can be achieved in two ways. 1) you stick with him and accept that he will make mistakes, but will develop with the right coaching or, 2) put an arm round his shoulder, say "We're deep in the :censored: here, lad. It puts you under a lot of pressure because of your inexperience, but you need to keep playing first team football." Then, once he understands it is for his own development, let him go out on loan and let him realise that he will be a better keeper when he comes back.

Cornell? Let him go to anyone who'll have him and bring in an experienced keeper, if one is available. Alternatively, bring in a real talent from a Championship/Premier League club who can't quite oust the current incumbent, but would, like Coleman if he goes out on loan, benefit from first team football.

How many times have you watched each keeper live?

That cross was never there for a keeper to come and catch it. The ba

ll was moving away from him and had snow on it until it reached the back post....

...and then looped slowly into the goal crossing the line at about 5 foot off the ground

I was talking about the 'he should have come for the cross' argument but the rest after that!