45 Years of Following the Latics

Excellent post.

Just one point and I quote: 'is your heart still in the club if not move on and let others try and bring our little club back to life'.

Firstly, I would like to believe that this is what he is trying to do. He has certainly gone public about selling to the right buyer. Failure to do so begs the question - how many people would want to buy a club like ours? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a stumbling block. We all identify the primary reason why the 3 Amigos bought the club but can any of us identity why a strangers primary reason would be the success of Oldham Athletic?

Good luck to you in the future.

Excellent post.

Just one point and I quote: 'is your heart still in the club if not move on and let others try and bring our little club back to life'.

Firstly, I would like to believe that this is what he is trying to do. He has certainly gone public about selling to the right buyer. Failure to do so begs the question - how many people would want to buy a club like ours? I wouldn't be surprised if this was a stumbling block. We all identify the primary reason why the 3 Amigos bought the club but can any of us identity why a strangers primary reason would be the success of Oldham Athletic?

Good luck to you in the future.

Our luck rests in a multi millionaire wanting to play a real life football manager game...or an avid fan getting lucky/ very successful which is pretty slim to none!

Excellent post, Ian, and good luck with your new life in Worcester. As my sig tells you, I've been Latics mad (in more ways than one!) for over 65 years, my Dad taking me to BP in August 1950 for my first game. I was hooked, fell in love with the club and was royally pissed off when, for whatever reason, I couldn't go. I moved away from Oldham in 1966, but continued to get to every game I could, home or away.

The arrival of a son and daughter in 1968 and 1970 respectively, coupled with living in Kent, meant that attending matches was severely restricted, but I still avidly followed Latics through whatever medium I could. As the kids grew older, and we had moved to East Yorkshire, I started taking them to games whenever I could. My Dad was still an avid supporter and it meant we could meet up at games.

From the despair of the old Third Division North and re-election on more than one occasion, came the good times. The Pinch Me years that I don't believe will ever be repeated were followed by relegations that dumped us where we are now. Even then, it hasn't been all bad; flirting with the play offs, the joy of seeing the likes of Shez, knackered knees and all, ooze class without having to run around too much; players like Paul Warne and, God rest his soul Ernie Cooksey, giving their all every game and leaving nothing on the pitch at the end even though they weren't the most gifted; cameos from the likes of Kilkenny and Baxter.

Yep, there's been the bad times too; that God awful 2-6 defeat at the Dongs (thanks Mr Budtz); Andy Goram's ill fated return; duff signings like Keigan Parker and Warren Feeney. But I still loved being there along with my old mate Mac, who has been like a brother since we first met 20 years ago. And then we come to 2015-16.

Many of you know that my wife's health determines how many games I can get to. This, along with Tuesday night matches against the likes of Port Vale, Southend and now Shrewsbury have ruled out a few that we would normally have been at. Last Saturday was the perfect example. We had everything planned for Shrewsbury; someone to be with my wife, journey planned, fish n chip shop located. We couldn't make it to BP, so we went to watch Bath City v Maidstone Utd (Mac lives in Bath, so easy enough), the first time in God knows how long that I've not been plugged in to Latics Player.

I got the updates of the Millwall game throughout but, somehow, I just knew it was all going to go pear shaped and, sadly, I just accepted it as the norm. I've not felt like this before, not even in the dark days of the 1950s, and it's not a nice position to be in. Don't get me wrong, I won't give up going whenever I can. I still want to be there, but there is no expectation of a win, let alone success. There isn't even the expectation of a decent display of football for most, if not all, of the 90+ minutes.

I want to be entertained. I want my beloved football club to dig itself out of this mess. I want the fans to come back. I want BP to be a fortress again the way it once was. I don't demand to know everything that is going on at the club. I just want, to quote The Eagles, "A Peaceful Easy Feeling" that when I go to my next match, I won't spend most of it in total despair. Come on Simon, DD, the entire playing staff; show some pride and put this family club that I have known for so long back on the up again. Please.

Edited by Bristolatic

The most telling sign that fans are disillusioned more than ever is that clubs such as Tranmere, Notts County, Luton, Oxford, Bristol Rovers etc. who most would consider similar-sized clubs to Latics, have actually overtaken us despite operating at a lower level.

It's horrible to see them with double the crowd we get attending week-in-week-out while BP feels dead and empty in the league above. They have stuck with their club through thinner than us, yet our fanbase is rapidly draining away before our eyes.

Thoroughly depressing.

I missed the game yesterday I was being updated in London but as you say brizzle even though it sounded we were all over them you knew there'd be a twist. The sad things is I now expect it - we've been poor at home now for the best part of ten years. It doesn't hurt anymore - the board will react as usual as they are incapable of pro acting come April/May when they are bleating to the Chron that we aren't :censored:ing stupid enough to part with £400

Edited by oafcprozac

Alex,

I'm not sure what's going on but I've had an Email direct to the shop as a reply again from M - oldhamboy@Hotmail.com making certain threats to me, which I find disturbing in what is a so called free speech world, I won't go to deep into it but to say I'm not happy is an understatement.

Ian G.

Alex,

I'm not sure what's going on but I've had an Email direct to the shop as a reply again from M - oldhamboy@Hotmail.com making certain threats to me, which I find disturbing in what is a so called free speech world, I won't go to deep into it but to say I'm not happy is an understatement.

Ian G.

Cyber threats should be reported to the police.