Adam Johnson

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm uncertain of the facts but I'm sure the red tops will be spouting their 'facts' over the weekend.

If he didn't genuinely know her age but she looked older and chased him then I do feel sorry of the lad regardless of him being a footballer or not.

However he's admitted to grooming so it appears to be two-way chasing or him using his position to influence. Again, if he genuinely didn't know her age then using his fame isn't criminal but he's charged with grooming because she's underage.

Sunderland and Adidas have immediately taken the moral high ground and left the lad high and dry

Yep... And he will probably get less as I imagine the underage girl was 15 or 14 at the youngest (I have no knowledge of the case) which though by no means makes it right is viewed in law as less serious than a minor 13yrs or younger

I'm sure I read somewhere, that he used to drive past her,when she was in her school uniform, and decided to stop one day.

I'm uncertain of the facts but I'm sure the red tops will be spouting their 'facts' over the weekend.

If he didn't genuinely know her age but she looked older and chased him then I do feel sorry of the lad regardless of him being a footballer or not.

However he's admitted to grooming so it appears to be two-way chasing or him using his position to influence. Again, if he genuinely didn't know her age then using his fame isn't criminal but he's charged with grooming because she's underage.

Sunderland and Adidas have immediately taken the moral high ground and left the lad high and dry

Moral high ground????

He has pleaded guilty to grooming and sexual activity with a 15yr old!!!!!

Not sure many jobs that would not sack someone on those charges. He could even still be found guilty on the further 2 charges he's denied!

If he genuinely didn't know her age he wouldn't have pleaded guilty - since that fact is the fundamental defence to the crime in question.

What the circumstances of the two charges which he still denies I don't know - unless it's a tactic of why would I lie to these two when I've admitted the other in the hope of being acquitted of those two and getting a more lenient sentence for pleading guilty to the others.

He will get less for two crimes than 4 I guess

And as for moral high ground - I imagine most employers would be sacking someone once they admitted to grooming and having sex with a schoolgirl

He new she was 15. She was a Sunderland season ticket holder and he was her favourite player.

@JoshHalliday is reporting live from the trial and has tweeted updates today!

I'm not doubting what you're saying, he has admitted guilt after all but how does her being a Sunderland season ticket holder prove he knew she was 15 - did she show him her child season ticket?

I'm not doubting what you're saying, he has admitted guilt after all but how does her being a Sunderland season ticket holder prove he knew she was 15 - did she show him her child season ticket?

He has said it himself he new she was 15 and he asked her when she's 16 in a text message.

You don't seem to understand the offence (from the Sexual Offences Act 2003)

A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if—

(a)he intentionally touches another person (the touching is sexual, and

©either—

(i)B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over, or

(ii)B is under 13.

If he genuinely believed she was 16 or above he is by definition not guilty of the offence. It is for the court to decide if this belief was genuine, he has admitted guilt therefore admitting he knew her age

Edited by JWhite101

When this case was first reported, there were huge amounts on social media claiming that Johnson didn't know her age & what was she doing in a nightclub anyway. The live reporting of the case shows how clueless & :censored: people are.

It also demonstrates how people jump onto Twitter etc and spout their garbage, before what they are writing sinks into their brains.

On the 'not guilty' bits, from what I can see so far (I'll stand to be corrected) it is just the prosecution's case that has been heard so far. It doesn't sound good (from the bits considered important by non-lawyer journalists) but the defence hasn't yet made its case, nor has anybody given any evidence.

I am not defending him in any way, what he has admitted guilt of is disgusting, but as always happens people are reporting 'facts' when they should be considered allegations at the moment.

You don't seem to understand the offence (from the Sexual Offences Act 2003)

A person aged 18 or over (A) commits an offence if

(a)

he intentionally touches another person (the touching is sexual, and

©

either

(i)

B is under 16 and A does not reasonably believe that B is 16 or over, or

(ii)

B is under 13.

If he genuinely believed she was 16 or above he is by definition not guilty of the offence. It is for the court to decide if this belief was genuine, he has admitted guilt therefore admitting he knew her age

I'm as familiar with the legislation as I need to be, I was merely questioning how the poster inferred he knew her age from the fact she was a season ticket holder and he was her favourite player.

I have a season ticket and I have a favourite player but I am also substantially over the legal age of consent.

I will admit that I'm not following court proceedings as voraciously as some so I won't comment further on occasional snippets.

I'm as familiar with the legislation as I need to be, I was merely questioning how the poster inferred he knew her age from the fact she was a season ticket holder and he was her favourite player.

I have a season ticket and I have a favourite player but I am also substantially over the legal age of consent.

I will admit that I'm not following court proceedings as voraciously as some so I won't comment further on occasional snippets.

Facebook messages in evidence suggest he knew.

Allegedly.