£30 cap on away ticket prices in the Premier League

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For this to happen, though, fans have to be realistic and accept that clubs will be forced to curb their spending as, particularly below the Championship, gate receipts make up a large chunk of revenue so if the clubs lose the right to flex this income they will have to cut back elsewhere.

This is the thing we all claim match tickets are to expensive and want to cut the prices.

The same people then complain of a lack of ambition when we are forced to cut spending because of it.

Personally I think the fa needs to introduce a minimum income which basically guarantees a minimum sustainable income for clubs. This should be paid out of the TV revenue which is abundant in the top leagues. Furthermore clubs shouldn't be able to spend this on player wages but the basic running of the club, and using it to cover any lost revenue a maximum ticket price for fans creates.

Football needs to get back to the days of 20000 home gates even across the lower divisions. We shouldn't be paying more than a tenner realistically at our level

If charging a tenner Guaranteed even 10000 at home Corney would do it. it doesn't so he won't.

We are getting a "boost" to our income so to speak when the football league gets a small cut of the new PL tv deal. Neil Joy said all clubs including ours will get something not a lot but it's better than nothing.

Attendances in the lower leagues are higher than they were when I started watching football in the 1980s.

Sponsorship revenue is higher.

TV money is higher (albeit the share of the pot is significantly smaller).

Admission costs are higher in real terms.

I'm very cautious about capping admission prices. Such caps become a mandatory price instead. Watch it happen.

Odd how people call it the, "Greedy League," and then clamour for it's money.

Agreed.

Disagreed. There's nothing contradictory about pointing out that one group are receiving much more than the rest, and calling for a more equal distribution. No-one wants to be poor.

Attendances in the lower leagues are higher than they were when I started watching football in the 1980s.

Sponsorship revenue is higher.

TV money is higher (albeit the share of the pot is significantly smaller).

Admission costs are higher in real terms.

I'm very cautious about capping admission prices. Such caps become a mandatory price instead. Watch it happen.

Players wages are also significantly higher so clubs are not significantly better off financially.

However one of the biggest myths around is that football at this level is "dying" people keep saying this and football keeps going at this level and it continues to lose money, and that's how it is likely to be for many years to come.

Edited by GlossopLatic

To me, it is right to have a cap on tickets (and I think it should be all tickets, not just away fans). The cap should exist across all divisions along the lines of:

£30 Prem

£25 Champ

£20 Lge 1

£17 Lge 2

Why?

They're businesses and charge whatever they think (rightly or wrongly) is the optimum price based on various factors.

Also, a London club with a far greater number of fans to attract, who will also largely earn more than the average Oldhamer, could feasibly charge far more than us and should be able to if they see fit.

Many clubs will change ownership in the future, or desperately need to be rescued like we did - it's hard enough to find a new owner now, would clubs not be even less attractive to potential buyers/investors with such restrictive rules around how much they'e allowed to price tickets at in place?

Personally I think the fa needs to introduce a minimum income which basically guarantees a minimum sustainable income for clubs. This should be paid out of the TV revenue which is abundant in the top leagues. Furthermore clubs shouldn't be able to spend this on player wages but the basic running of the club, and using it to cover any lost revenue a maximum ticket price for fans creates.

Football needs to get back to the days of 20000 home gates even across the lower divisions. We shouldn't be paying more than a tenner realistically at our level

There've been loads of factors other than the price of tickets that have caused football attendances to fluctuate over the last 100+ years.

I'd wager the price of tickets has been, and remains, one of the least important of them....

Disagreed. There's nothing contradictory about pointing out that one group are receiving much more than the rest, and calling for a more equal distribution. No-one wants to be poor.

But we're not in the Premier League and we had no involvement in the deal they negotiated for themselves.

And we don't play in any of the matches they get paid for playing in.

I don't get it. What am I missing?

Do any of those burger places on Union Street receive any of the money McDonald's make from the more successful running of their business?

I bet that was a delight !!!!!!!

It was alright actually. There were no away fans, I assume they'd had a bit of previous and been banned. Had a gorgeous kebab outside the ground and bought a silk scarf for a pound. The police made everyone throw any coins they had on the pavement before entering the ramshackle deathtrap of a ground. The opposition scored a 94th minute winner and had to flee the pitch sheltered by about thirty police riot shields. Well worth the 25p entrance fee anyway.

The standard of football was dreadful though. It may have been second tier in Turkey, but I think Mossley would have given the home team a run for their money.

The standard of football was dreadful though. It may have been second tier in Turkey, but I think Mossley would have given the home team a run for their money.

That's the difference really. If you want to pay £15 or £10 or less to watch football you can do. There will be top flight teams in Europe that would love our budget.

Why? In what way?

And why should we be subsidised?

It's a bit boring how Burnely, Hull and Wigan are top of their leagues because they get enormous pay-outs from the Premier League other teams can't compete with.

Not to mention an artificial subsidy in the top league distorts the market.

Don't really get the comparison. The Premier League can't just separate itself from the rest of the football league like McDonald's can from other Burger joints. It's part of its history and heritage. Nor can it just ignore grassroots football. It's why we don't have enough junior coaches or pitches compared to Germany where there are much cheaper ticket prices and a better funded grassroots game and a far better national team.

I agree regarding grass roots football but, even then, it should be the remit of the FA to distribute the wealth down to that level.

As daft as it sounds we're competitors of Premier League clubs - why would a business prop up it's less competent competitors?

It's a bit boring how Burnely, Hull and Wigan are top of their leagues because they get enormous pay-outs from the Premier League other teams can't compete with.

Not to mention an artificial subsidy in the top league distorts the market.

Is that the same Wigan who came down to League One just last season? Not long after winning the FA Cup? Boring?

When were Hull last in the top flight?

QPR aren't up there.....

Is that the same Wigan who came down to League One just last season? Not long after winning the FA Cup? Boring?

When were Hull last in the top flight?

QPR aren't up there.....

Don't quite understand your point regarding Hull...last in the top flight season 2014-2015.

Don't quite understand your point regarding Hull...last in the top flight season 2014-2015.

Oh right. I thought they'd been down longer than that.

I've not paid much attention to the Premier League (now that has been boring) for a long while until Leicester went mental this season....

It completely depends how you look at the game. If you see it as a business, the comments surrounding each club trying to maximise their own revenues are spot on. If you primarily see it as a sport, however, this doesn't stack up.

There will never be a level playing field as some clubs will always attract more fans than others. For the integrity of the sport every effort should be made to keep that playing field as level as possible.

I am not a big fan of American sports but they do appear to do a pretty good job of ensuring that teams can't guarantee success just because they happen to have richer owners.

If the Premier League doubled the income of every Football League club, we'd be paying the same players 2 - 4 thousand a week instead of 1 - 2. And clubs would still be bankrupting themselves.

Exactly!!!!

Maybe if gate costs went down across the whole of the football league we would all have to pay footballers less. In turn to "succeed" at a career in football the bloody pansys might actually put some effort into trying and in turn we might end up with some decent English footballers and a good national team.

We all know things dont go backwards though and this is the problem with football in England, too much money to play a game, even from the lower leagues.