£30 cap on away ticket prices in the Premier League

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're going to have to. Leeds charge £38 for away tickets, Wednesday £35, no chance that will continue in the light of this.

Liverpool-United £30, Oldham-Peterborough £26 - that's gonna look farcical.

Hopefully it opens up the debate about money trickling down through the leagues to subsidise. If not then it's another nail in the FL's coffin...

Edited by NewBlue

They're going to have to. Leeds charge £38 for away tickets, Wednesday £35, no chance that will continue in the light of this.

Liverpool-United £30, Oldham-Peterborough £26 - that's gonna look farcical.

Hopefully it opens up the debate about money trickling down through the leagues to subsidise. If not then it's another nail in the FL's coffin...

Exactly...and any thoughts of lower away ticketing being offset by increased away supporters needs to think again.

A £5 reduction in price would mean a 25% increase in away fan attendance...I don't know about you but that's not gonna happen with the size of lower league fan bases.

500 average away fans at £25 = £12,500

500 average away fans at £20 = £10,000

£2,500 gap in finance at £20 = 125 incremental fans

125 / 500 average fans = 25% increase.

Then the reality is a £5 subsidy in ticket price is massively offset by the cost for an away fan in attending I.e parking, petrol, food, drink etc so it's pretty insignificant...

The lower league clubs will lose yet again with this if they follow suit...if they don't the cost/value between premier league and lower leagues will get even narrower.

It's a lose lose for lower league clubs

It's a lose lose for lower league clubs

I agree, on paper the math looks ridiculous for us all. But if we (all) follow suit, footballers (who are not Premier League quality and dont put in the effort) will just have to accept they will be paid less and need graft for a living rather than be carefree layabouts when a club is fighting against relegation. It MIGHT actually spur on some of the lads to put more effort in to being the best they can and could improve English football.

Too many footballers now a days think its a right to be paid stupid amounts for the skill they possess without applying themselves.

Question I'd be asking is how it's going to affect home prices if implemented in the fl. If it's not the same across the board you will almost certainly get home fans in the away end.

Bit different for premier league as they are all ticket and purchasers are usually vetted with postcodes

Can't see too much changing g at our level

Exactly.

Premier League clubs can do this as ticket prices make little difference to most of them given the TV money they get. Hence them agreeing to this.

Assuming season ticket holders get first dibs like us though Arsenal fans will still need to pay a small fortune to access these £30 tickets.

A club like United who've seen a season ticket waiting list disappear quicker than you can say "glory hunter" might see demand increase as and subsequently put up season ticket prices, possibly screwing the less affluent home fan in the process.

Despite how it sometimes seems clubs like ours price tickets at what they consider the optimum level and they're probably not far off.

3000 of us will pay it regardless. Another 3000+ will stump it up for a big cup/playoff game.

Some of those 3000+ will stump it up on a regular basis again next time we're good.

Gain some - lose some.

Watch away allocations mysteriously reduce in the Prem. Not sure any advantage would be gained in implementing this in other leagues - teams punching above their weight and kicking the wolf from the doorstep should initially focus on attracting home fans.

If we pay £25 now to go to the likes of Peterborough and Colchester I can't say I'd be too fussed parting with £30 plus to visit The Emirates and Stamford Bridge.

What's interesting is peoples belief that prices have to cranked up in the lower leagues, tapping into ever dwindling fan bases and making the more loyal supporters effectively subsidise lost revenue is as short sighted as it gets, there's no doubt our current season ticket offer is a decent one but its not really going to get lapsed fans back into the habit of going which is what really needs to happen.

If we pay £25 now to go to the likes of Peterborough and Colchester I can't say I'd be too fussed parting with £30 plus to visit The Emirates and Stamford Bridge.

What's interesting is peoples belief that prices have to cranked up in the lower leagues, tapping into ever dwindling fan bases and making the more loyal supporters effectively subsidise lost revenue is as short sighted as it gets, there's no doubt our current season ticket offer is a decent one but its not really going to get lapsed fans back into the habit of going which is what really needs to happen.

I agree.

Nurse, pass me the smelling salts...

To me, it is right to have a cap on tickets (and I think it should be all tickets, not just away fans). The cap should exist across all divisions along the lines of:

£30 Prem

£25 Champ

£20 Lge 1

£17 Lge 2

For this to happen, though, fans have to be realistic and accept that clubs will be forced to curb their spending as, particularly below the Championship, gate receipts make up a large chunk of revenue so if the clubs lose the right to flex this income they will have to cut back elsewhere.

I am hugely sympathetic to the argument that lower league clubs should get a greater share of the TV money but it's not going to happen. The Premier League is now far too strong for any pressure to be put on them to share out that TV money beyond a bit of a "charitable donation" chucked down the football pyramid.

Personally I think the fa needs to introduce a minimum income which basically guarantees a minimum sustainable income for clubs. This should be paid out of the TV revenue which is abundant in the top leagues. Furthermore clubs shouldn't be able to spend this on player wages but the basic running of the club, and using it to cover any lost revenue a maximum ticket price for fans creates.

Football needs to get back to the days of 20000 home gates even across the lower divisions. We shouldn't be paying more than a tenner realistically at our level