Holloway, Main and Palmer

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our best/only striker is on loan at Wimbledon.

Holloway has done well, Main ok but they are forwards and all their best work happens too far from the penalty area for my liking.

I do think Murphy would enjoy working with Holloway but even as one of his more vocal champions I can see he clearly isn't settled here, and it's no coincidence his loans are near to home.

Our best/only striker is on loan at Wimbledon.

Holloway has done well, Main ok but they are forwards and all their best work happens too far from the penalty area for my liking.

He's on loan at Wimbledon because we are in a relegation scrap. He wasn't up for it.

Yet again...Dieng has a cracking game and not a single mention.

As for Main, no, he can't be recalled. Worked his socks off last night and was blowing out of his arse at the end.

I'm a massive Dieng fan. Thought he had an average game by his standards. Missed a few headers and got caught under the ball too on one occasion.

Yet again...Dieng has a cracking game and not a single mention.

As for Main, no, he can't be recalled. Worked his socks off last night and was blowing out of his arse at the end.

The whole back 5 was very solid last night & didn't give away a real chance. Good performances from all.

Dieng didn't stand out about the other 5 did he?

I'm a massive Dieng fan. Thought he had an average game by his standards. Missed a few headers and got caught under the ball too on one occasion.

Gets caught under the ball a lot,been saying it for months but he managed well against their big striker as did Gerrard.

Edited by palmer1

He's on loan at Wimbledon because we are in a relegation scrap. He wasn't up for it.

Perhaps but given our position I would have asked him to give it his all for the rest of the season and then if he was still unsettled then we wouldn't stand in his way.

I reckon Shez has picked his loanees with a view to long term. I am convinced that Palmer will be here next season. Amadi Holloway as well. If we can find someone to play off him and finish off his excellent hold up play, that would be my first three on the team sheet...with Kelly. Main will be here too if Donny drop.

I can see Main playing a Dirk Kuyt type role drifting in from the left.

Edited by L1onheartNew

Thought all 3 were very good, Holloway especially, his hold play is different class. Like others said if he could add more goals to his game he would be unreal but wouldn't be playing for us...

Main I would look at in Summer if Doncaster Don't want and perhaps even look at getting him to play on the Wing?

Looked really good both Defensively and attacking in his small stint at left midfield for 15-20 minutes, has pace, power, willing to get back and defend, I think he could be played there.

Perhaps but given our position I would have asked him to give it his all for the rest of the season and then if he was still unsettled then we wouldn't stand in his way.

I'd imagine he's been told that a few times already.

I like Holloway/Main but they both play the same game. We need someone up there better at feeding off a target man.

You can't know that. He's the only player on the books who can score goals and that's exactly what we need to stay up. Effective as they are, Main and Holloway aren't going to provide them.

And can we expect to see Mills and Winchester pitch up at Kingsmeadow this weekend then?

You can't know that. He's the only player on the books who can score goals and that's exactly what we need to stay up. Effective as they are, Main and Holloway aren't going to provide them.

And can we expect to see Mills and Winchester pitch up at Kingsmeadow this weekend then?

I can see it with my own eyes Hank. That's why mills and Winchester are out of favour.

I can see it with my own eyes Hank. That's why mills and Winchester are out of favour.

We need goals Gaz and imo Murphy would've provided them. We're not going to be smashing teams by 3 or 4 so someone who can convert chances is vital and likely to be the difference between staying up and not. From what I've seen neither Main nor Holloway can do that. Sheridan is gambling on Thiele being a better option than Murphy was. I hope he's proved right.

Main chases everything so he's a terrific defensive asset in my opinion, in addition to the quality he brings in terms of his power and long distance shooting. He helps us defend from the front.

Holloway's hold-up play is also fantastic and this is helping the players around him get chances. It's also helping us retain possession and take pressure off the defense.

The goals will come for both of them I think, but I wouldn't judge those two on goals alone because of the other qualities they bring.

I'd imagine he's been told that a few times already.

I like Holloway/Main but they both play the same game. We need someone up there better at feeding off a target man.

Poleon? Played well with Higdon who was the target man.

Main chases everything so he's a terrific defensive asset in my opinion, in addition to the quality he brings in terms of his power and long distance shooting. He helps us defend from the front.

Holloway's hold-up play is also fantastic and this is helping the players around him get chances. It's also helping us retain possession and take pressure off the defense.

The goals will come for both of them I think, but I wouldn't judge those two on goals alone because of the other qualities they bring.

Not disputing that Main and Holloway have improved us, Main reminds me of Warne, never gives the ball up and Holloway is what Cassidy should've been. Playing them up front together isn't working though and won't cos their qualities don't include bagging the goals we'll need to stay up and ultimately that's what is going to cost us.

Not disputing that Main and Holloway have improved us, Main reminds me of Warne, never gives the ball up and Holloway is what Cassidy should've been. Playing them up front together isn't working though and won't cos their qualities don't include bagging the goals we'll need to stay up and ultimately that's what is going to cost us.

Until the rest of the team can create a couple of chances for them I think it's very difficult to judge. Between the pair of them they have had less than a handful of good chances. There best work has been outside the area but no striker will score under those circumstances. It's been the same all season. If either Main or Holloway had the ability to constantly create their own chances they wouldn't be at Latics.

Edited by palmer1

We need goals Gaz and imo Murphy would've provided them. We're not going to be smashing teams by 3 or 4 so someone who can convert chances is vital and likely to be the difference between staying up and not. From what I've seen neither Main nor Holloway can do that. Sheridan is gambling on Thiele being a better option than Murphy was. I hope he's proved right.

I think we're gambling on being able

to win 1-0!

Yorkshire Journo on Twitter says he can be recalled at any time.

I think the Journo is guessing. I know short term loans can usually be terminated but never known long term ones to be able. And found this when looking up on it:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/3jhko7/recalling_players_from_loans/

Long Term Loan Transfers shall be for a full Playing Season; or from any date
prior to 31st August to any date between 1st and 31st January; or from any date
between 1st and 31st January (the January transfer window) to the end of the
Playing Season.
A Player on Long Term Loan may not be recalled, except for a goalkeeper or
where the Player is to be transferred permanently by the Club (or club) holding
his registered contract.

http://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/rules-of-the-association/2015-16/038_standardised-rules.ashx

Fairly sure they can't and can only affect if a play can play against their parent club.

EDIT: Just seen that Curtis arrived on Feb 15th. Hmmmm...plot thickens...

2nd EDIT: Short Term Loans (up to 93 days) - Players other than goalkeepers may not be recalled within the first month, i.e. 28 days, of any loan
So it seems he might be able to be recalled. Would be a :censored:-trick if they did but wouldn't be surprised by it.
Edited by boundaryblue80

Why is it not working?

Holloway joined just before the Wigan game. 13 points out of 24.

Main joined just before first Blackpool game. 12 points out of 21.

They've started 4 games together. We've 10 points from 12 in those games.

Yeah let's change it...