Onto Walsall then....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's getting back to form after injury. Still frustrating at times.

If it was forte or Poleon for the same wage Forte wins for me.

Think that's a logical choice given we know what he's capable of, but I do wonder if these last few games are the exception to the rule of a finished player. Can he ever get back to form if he's incapable of a sustained run in the side?

Personally reckon I'd go with Poleon. Bit of a gut instinct that he's going to flourish soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kicking somebody hard in the head, deliberate or otherwise, is a straight red card isn't it? Complete failure to consider the safety of an opponent there.

Same bloke who sent off Brown at Bradford ...

Yes but we cannot hold it against anybody, sending off Connor Brown.

With regards to the campaign by UEFA and FIFA to take away any type of physical contact in the game, I personally dont mind one of ours getting a bit of a kicking so long as we give it back. In the first half we werent even challenging them but Shez put that right

Most of Forte's assists have come down that left channel where he was so effective last season, there's not many better out wide when he is on song, doesn't get back onside quick enough for me at times which is frustrating but no doubting his quality on the ball out wide.

Felt yesterday was a good game of football between two good sides.

During the game it always felt like a goal could have come at either end - but once we nicked it then our defensive form meant that despite the usual dropping deep process they didn't create very much and I felt we were more likely to get another goal than them equalise.

Some good performances all round - of particular note were some of the now regular stalwarts of our team Gerrard, Palmer, Kelly, Main (I love this guy), plus best performance by Coleman I've seen.

No real bad performances, though Forte does look a bit lost when in a central position when the ball is played long. When he drifts out wide he is a difficult player for the opposition.

The referee did OK. Looked about 16 years old though. Never going to get all the decisions right, but let the game flow for the most part.

The ones I recall being potentially game impacting were a what looked like a two footed lunge near the halfway line of the North stand (would not have been a shock if it had been given as a red in the "I've seen em given" line); and the high foot on the edge of the RRE penalty area - maybe from a direct interpretation of the laws and guidelines it could be a red, but for me the ball was there to be won and the attacker has to make the decision to try and kick it before he could know the movement of the defender. There was no malice, an honest attempt to win the ball, so I think correct decision.

Anyway - top result and table looks far far better. Next two games could effectively see us safe. Roll on Barnsley :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kicking somebody hard in the head, deliberate or otherwise, is a straight red card isn't it? Complete failure to consider the safety of an opponent there.

I thought they got away with a couple of late ones that should have been yellows too.

Same bloke who sent off Brown at Bradford ...

Kick in the head? When? Do you mean when Wilson bravely stopped to head away and hot caught by accident?

I agree with chaddy. He did well but also agres with Gas that he blew up when our players clearly played the ball.

Careless means that the player has shown a lack of

attention or consideration when making his challenge or

that he acted without precaution:

no further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is

judged to be careless

Reckless means that the player has acted with

complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences

for, his opponent:

a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned"

I would say attempting an overhead kick would be the first. At worst the second

Kick in the head? When? Do you mean when Wilson bravely stopped to head away and hot caught by accident?

There's no requirement for it to be intentional. He went to kick the ball hard, five feet (?) off the ground. He gave no consideration to the likelihood of his opponent's head being there.

Careless means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making his challenge or that he acted without precaution:

no further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

Reckless means that the player has acted with complete disregard of the danger to, or consequences

for, his opponent: a player who plays in a reckless manner shall be cautioned"

I would say attempting an overhead kick would be the first. At worst the second

My device is incapable of copying and pasting the excessive force definition which warrants a red card. But I'm intrigued that you seem to be suggesting attempting an overhead kick shouldn't be seen as reckless.

Maybe I'm just baffled by some of the bollocks FIFA has introduced in recent years.

Edited by opinions4u

There's no requirement for it to be intentional. He went to kick the ball hard, five feet (?) off the ground. He gave no consideration to the likelihood of his opponent's head being there.

Stop nit picking O4U its a mans game-well it should be anyway.

Outlaw 2 footed tackles yes, penalise someone harshly with a sending off for trying to play the ball-No

Main (I love this guy)

Imagine the number of quality players (who could've manifested themselves into quality quality teams) if they had the same drive as Main does. Leicester exemplify that.

There's a couple sitting on the bench at the moment who could do with his mindset.

No real bad performances,

I thought Jones was poor again. Very half arsed on several occassions. Something seems wrong with him. He doesn't seem to be moving right, has he got piles? He looked like he was going to cry at one point when Gerrard was bollocking him for something. I always imagined him as the type who'd take that & just get on with it..

That said, he's good enough that his poor form still doesn't do too much damage and he did nearly score at 1-0...

So hard to pick a man of the match.

Coleman had a great game.

Dummigan was good.

Wilson great.

Gerrard immense.

Kelly good, again. Coming on in leaps and bounds now Shez has pointed him in the right direction.

Palmer put in another standard quality performance.

Forte was good and made the goal.

Main ran his bollocks off, scored and I don't remember him doing a single thing wrong. So tidy getting and giving the ball.

Main or Gerrard for me, I can't separate them...

I thought Jones was poor again. Very half arsed on several occassions. Something seems wrong with him. He doesn't seem to be moving right, has he got piles? He looked like he was going to cry at one point when Gerrard was bollocking him for something. I always imagined him as the type who'd take that & just get on with it..

That said, he's good enough that his poor form still doesn't do too much damage and he did nearly score at 1-0...

I wonder if he's carrying an injury. The long range free kick that Palmer chipped into the keepers arms was more set up for Jonesy to hit, there was also a time in the second half moving towards goal when there was a perfect time for him to pull the trigger and he laid it off for Main. It's not like him to refuse a shot.

The oddest thing about the ref was that James Wilson was down for about 4 minutes in the first half and there was only a minute of time added on. But then he plucked 4 extra minutes from somewhere in the second half.

I'm sure I read somewhere that refs have a choice as to when they add on time for injuries in the first half. I.e they can choose to add it on at the end of the first half or the end of the match. That might explain what happened yesterday.