Shoot 28th April 1990

shoot_zpsejjdhfqx.jpg

shoot%205_zps6bdmlcfr.jpg

shoot%202_zpsm4jowgqm.jpg

shoot%203_zpsfvramrpk.jpg

shoot%204_zpsdddwij1a.jpg

https://analogueboyinadigitalworld.wordpress.com/2012/01/01/magazine-archive-shoot-28th-april-1990/

MAGAZINE ARCHIVE : SHOOT – 28th APRIL 1990

This edition of the Magazine Archive sees us look at Shoot from 28th April 1990.

This week, was focusing on the Rumbelows Cup (That’s Carling Cup in modern currency) Final between Nottingham Forest and Oldham.

Then, Forest were a top flight club while Oldham were riding high (Getting promoted in 1991, and being Premier League founding members in 1992) in the Second Division (That’s The Championship in modern currency)

With the two clubs not meeting in the league that season, the cover image is of an Oldham player in a challenge with Manchester United’s Bryan Robson during the recent FA Cup Semi-Final between the two sides.

Personally, I would have went with a split image of a player from each team.

Each team gets a double page spread preview

A further double page spread is given to “Shoot Star Writer” Tony Cottee’s pre-match preview.

He rates each player in the starting 11 and 2 subs out of 10, with Nottingham Forest scoring 103 and Oldham scoring 104 with Cottee declaring that Oldham would win.

Nottingham Forest won the final 1-0 with a goal from Nigel Jemson, who 14 years later would be playing for Ballymena United.

Meanwhile, there is a competition to win flights and tickets to see England’s World Cup games against Republic Of Ireland or Holland.

Keir Radnedge’s column (He was the editor of World Soccer, owned by IPC who also owned Shoot)focusing on the rest of the world, sees FIFA President Joao Havelange stating that he wants to see China host the 2002 World Cup finals, while Japan have stated they wish to bid to host this event.

Japan did eventually host the 2002 World Cup, but in a co-hosting arrangement with South Korea.

That week, it was also announced that Portugal are wishing to bid to host the 1998 World Cup, in a candidate list which also includes Switzerland, Morocco, France and Brazil.

France were awarded hosting rights to the competition, which they won, beating Brazil 3-0 in the final.

Portugal (Euro 2004) and Switzerland (co-hosting of Euro 2008) have since gone on to host further tournaments, while Brazil (2014 World Cup) and Morocco (2015 African Nations Cup) are scheduled to host tournaments withing the next five years.

Morocco would also have a failed bid to host the 2010 World Cup, losing out to South Africa.

The build-up to that summer’s World Cup continues with team previews of Italy, Romania, Holland, England and Scotland.

There is also a double page spread of Stuart Pearce proving how hard he is by driving a tank.

He admitted that he almost joined the army after leaving school, and blames not getting in on telling them that he had an application pending with his local police force.

In rumours, Chris Woods is going to sign for QPR and Pat Nevin is going to sign for Celtic. Neither transfer happened.

Jimmy Greaves letters page is an eye-opener as Richard Barlow from Heaton suggests that England should bring Ray Wilkins to the World Cup in Italy.

Julie Glover from Kent dishes it out to Greavsie over his prediction that Crystal Palace wouldn’t stand a chance against Liverpool in the FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park.

Paul Knauer from Avon writes in to complain about the Third and Fourth Division (That’s League One and League Two in modern currency) Play-Off Finals at Wembley as it devalues the prestige of the venue.

Jimmy Jones from Wallasey in Merseyside writes in to congratulate Kenny Dalglish on unearthing a world beater in Ronny Rosenthal.

Oh hindsight, what a wonderful thing.

In the latest league standings, Liverpool lead Aston Villa by two points with a game in hand, while Leeds, Sheffield United and Newcastle United are locked in a tight battle for promotion to Division One (That’s Premier League in modern currency)

In Scotland, Rangers are facing competition from Hearts and Aberdeen for the title, with Celtic 15 points behind in 4th.

The ad for the following week’s edition has the headline “STEWART HITS OUT”, referring to Tottenham Hotspur’s Paul Stewart.

Meanwhile, a double page spread is dedicated to an explosive interview with Charlie Nicholas, then of Aberdeen, declaring that he is leaving Pittodrie and that he is “Finished” with Scottish football.

He signed for the very much Scottish Celtic that summer.

The back page has an advert for a collection of figurines called “Sportstars”

Think of it as Corinthan figurines, but a bit bigger.

I had Bryan Robson, Neville Southall, Diego Maradona, Marco Van Basten, Peter Beardsley, Thomas Von Heeson, Mo Johnston, Ruud Gullit and Paul McStay.

Edited by HarryBosch

It was around this period I binned Shoot in favour of 90 Minutes. That was a great mag for its time. Match was a bit :censored: though, wasn't it?

It annoyed me growing up around 1984-1988 that there was hardly any mention of teams other than Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal. I remember getting mildly excited about seeing half a picture of Mike Flynn once.

It was around this period I binned Shoot in favour of 90 Minutes. That was a great mag for its time. Match was a bit :censored: though, wasn't it?

It annoyed me growing up around 1984-1988 that there was hardly any mention of teams other than Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal. I remember getting mildly excited about seeing half a picture of Mike Flynn once.

90 minutes. What a magazine that was. Always looked forward to the next installment of 'Damage in the box'. Had a pile of them bout two feet tall. Nearly murdered my mum when I came home one day and discovered she'd binned em.

90 mins was great. I won letter of the week having a go at Ian Stott and Graeme Sharp but got told off by my mum for swearing. I also wrote a rather tongue in cheek letter comparing Ian Ormondroyd to God that was published. The equivalent of an Internet forum in the mid 90's.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Started getting Goal! In the early 70's , rarely had anything on latics , then moved onto Shoot when it became Shoot , incorporating Goal

Finally moved to Match in the late 70's which had lots more stats , fancy waiting now till the Thursday after the weekend games to get the teams, marks out of ten and the attendances.

The league ladders at the beginning of the season were good, but so old fashioned now when you look back

90 minutes. What a magazine that was. Always looked forward to the next installment of 'Damage in the box'. Had a pile of them bout two feet tall. Nearly murdered my mum when I came home one day and discovered she'd binned em.

Yeah, 90 Minutes was awesome, especially around that whole era when football became 'cool' again in the mid-90s. Think it was edited at that time by Paul Hawsbee, who (I think?) presents the afternoon show on TalkSPORT. Was a great read but went completely :censored: later on. Think I stopped buying it and started spending my money on the NME during the Britpop years instead.