Edmundson

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because as soon as you accept that seeking to influence referees to give decisions in your favour is a legitimate practice you give up any right to criticise any referee's decision. He has been merely better swayed by the opposition? ....a practice you condone

Because as soon as you accept that seeking to influence referees to give decisions in your favour is a legitimate practice you give up any right to criticise any referee's decision. He has been merely better swayed by the opposition? ....a practice you condone

Human nature dictates that referees will give or not give some decisions based on factors or than what they see solely and specifically for that one incident

Absolutely!

I openly encourage our players and management and our fans to get in the referees ear and get decisions going our way if they are not prepared to do this they are not trying hard enough. Alot of managers will do this Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are famous for doing this managers at our level will do this Steve Evans was certainly one for doing this as are the likes of Neil Warnock. You just have to be clever about it and play within the rules something young Edmondson clearly needs to learn judging by recent actions.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Absolutely!

I openly encourage our players and management and our fans to get in the referees ear and get decisions going our way if they are not prepared to do this they are not trying hard enough. Alot of managers will do this Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are famous for doing this managers at our level will do this Steve Evans was certainly one for doing this as are the likes of Neil Warnock. You just have to be clever about it and play within the rules something young Edmondson clearly needs to learn judging by recent actions.

I agree but my point is that once you accept and encourage the influencing of referees you also have to accept that you will be on the wrong end of some decisions and that to then whinge and criticise is unjustifiable and Cyclopean...( I think I have just made that word up?)

I agree but my point is that once you accept and encourage the influencing of referees you also have to accept that you will be on the wrong end of some decisions and that to then whinge and criticise is unjustifiable and Cyclopean...( I think I have just made that word up?)

Maybe so but if we don't do it other teams certainly will. Having played sport it does happen but it can swing both ways.

A couple of years ago I was playing cricket and standing at the none strikers end a ball came down it hit the batsmens pads but from where I was standing it was clearly going down leg nethertheless the bowler and all the fielders appealled loudly the batsman was given out unfairly. Afterwards I sat down with said batsman and told him this apparently in a corresponding fixture the previous year he had told the umpire to retire in no uncertain terms, this probably influenced the umpires decision that day. It can work both ways it just has to be done in the right way.

Well if he is missing a ball on his pads which is going down the leg side he deserves all he gets

Even in that example it is interesting that the umpire receives all the opprobrium ...if the batsman had got bat on ball he would have been fine. Player error just like fouling the Shrewsbury player for the penalty........and actually to give weight to your argument it could well be that verbal volley Clarke gave the ref for that decision might be why when he was brought down we played on

Absolutely!

It is this attitude in football that really gets my goat. The game is now riddled with players that are basically cheats-our media refuse to condemn such attitudes-in fact they seem to condone it.

Have you watched any of the recent rugby union internationals on TV? What a breath of fresh air-The refs have mikes on so you can hear their comments as well as some of the players comments. In one of the recent games a player was heard to swear at the ref and an opposition player told him 'hey don't swear at the ref'!!

With the above disgraceful attitudes who on earth would contemplate becoming a referee?

It is this attitude in football that really gets my goat. The game is now riddled with players that are basically cheats-our media refuse to condemn such attitudes-in fact they seem to condone it.

Have you watched any of the recent rugby union internationals on TV? What a breath of fresh air-The refs have mikes on so you can hear their comments as well as some of the players comments. In one of the recent games a player was heard to swear at the ref and an opposition player told him 'hey don't swear at the ref'!!

With the above disgraceful attitudes who on earth would contemplate becoming a referee?

It's not nice particularly for the referee's and no I wouldn't want to do it either but aslong it exists and is tolerated then we have to play it otherwise we will become the victims we need abit of bedevilment in our team I don't want them to be too nice it's not that kind of environment.

I absolutely agree about televised football. The vast vast majority of the punditry is about referees and blaming of referees. How often do you see 2 ex players with several hundred games to their names watch slow motion after slow motion replay and still disagree with each other

I will continue to stand the refs corner for 2 reasons. First without a referee there is no game and the referees authority is a fundamental principle and second I have both played and referreed. One is significantly easier than the other

Don't get me wrong I shout at referees but come 4.45 I remember that the referee did us a favour by refereeing and I genuinely believe in their integrity and 99% ot the time in their competence

It's not nice particularly for the referee's and no I wouldn't want to do it either but aslong it exists and is tolerated

It exists because you create and continue it-therefore you tolerate it. You could make a stance against it?

Don't want to get into a slanging match over this-it just something that is slowly pushing me away from football. Enough said on the subject.

It exists because you create and continue it-therefore you tolerate it. You could make a stance against it?

Don't want to get into a slanging match over this-it just something that is slowly pushing me away from football. Enough said on the subject.

I agree that it shouldn't be the case. Refs should be treated like they are in rugby. Would help if they were on a mic and could explain some of the decisions they make that appear to be absolutely ridiculous.

While it does go on we should be doing what every other team does to try and gain some form of advantage

I agree that it shouldn't be the case. Refs should be treated like they are in rugby. Would help if they were on a mic and could explain some of the decisions they make that appear to be absolutely ridiculous.

While it does go on we should be doing what every other team does to try and gain some form of advantage

A mic with the inaudible public address system at BP? :)

The referee in rugby union is talking to the players all the time because otherwise nobody knows what the rules are from second to second. Same reason they broadcast them.

There's a big difference between the captain saying he thinks something was wrong and a player at any level going up to threaten the ref. It's pretty cowardly behaviour IMO

I may be wrong but I don't think rugby refs are miked up at club level

I agree but all the more reason to continue to spit into the wind and question the ritual obsession of blaming the referee for every goal ,every defeat and every out of date meat and potato pie

It's people with officious personalities, like referees have, that mean meat and potato pies have to be called potato and meat.