Sheffield United

Guest nonaenever

" the difference in the level was fitness was alarming" I find that after walking the dog I am fresher than the dog. That is because I stand still and throw the ball and he chases it at full tilt then gives it straight back to me again to have another throw. .....Latics are the dog in the analogy!

v good analogy actually - you're right in that the number of times we gave the ball away cheaply second half, was constantly putting us back under pressure.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

How did McLaughlin and Law do playing out of their normal position?

I'm not a big fan of Fane but I agree that he could balance out that midfield.

With two good strikers I could see that formation doing pretty well.

I was there - and didn't even realise McLaughlin was playing! Sums up his performance.

Law was ok although they did attack time and again down the left side second half.

As for the questions regarding 3 at the back. It worked ok for the first hour but you had that nagging feeling that if they got it on the floor and ran at us - we'd be in trouble because of a lack of pace. Sharp started to do that second half and we looked quite vulnerable. Leon Clarke missed a sitter too, so on reflection it could/should have been 3-0.

Agree with the comments regarding Osei - absolutely ran his socks off and made a right nuisance of himself first half. The only striker this season to have "bullied" an opposing team's defence (first half). To be fair he did exactly the same against Carlisle for half a game - and scored 2 goals as well. Was clearly shattered second but deserves an extended run (at least for half a game a time until the coaches get him fit!).

v good analogy actually - you're right in that the number of times we gave the ball away cheaply second half, was constantly putting us back under pressure.

Of all the things we are bad at passing is the number 1 problem because if you can't keep the ball you can't control the game. As a result we are always chasing the game we are never in control and as a result we just burn out and we can't build sustainable pressure on the opposition and therefore don't score.

We need someone who can put his foot on the ball in the middle of the park and give us abit of control. I'd hoped that would be Green at the start of the season it hasn't happened, Banks does it a little bit but not to a high enough standard he will look at home in league 2. Fane for all his other qualities isn't technically a strong player but would benefit playing alongside someone with composure to control the ball and the game.

If we sort out the centre of pitch then we might have a chance of staying up.

Edited by GlossopLatic