Sheffield United

The pace they go in the King George is relentless. The jumping has to be perfect. Thistlecrack has not had to go short and pop a fence or go long at one at the pace he will be going on Boxing Day.

Hurdles form means nothing over fences, jumping them requires a completely different technique and body shape with emphasis on different muscles and joints, namely the hind legs.

Thistlecrack may be up to it but it's more likely he ends up on the floor and would be a place lay at short odds for me

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. He may place for me as the race isn't as deep as normal but if he hits a couple at any stage they won't be too hard on him, I'd go as far to say that I don't even think he will line up in the Gold Cup and after the King George he may well stick to the novice route. What's also worth mentioning is Cue Card is chasing a £1 million bonus after his win at Haydock and was running all over the leaders in last year's Gold Cup when he tipped up looking the likely winner, he also battles like a lion when under pressure and digging deep is something Thistlecrack has not been asked to do yet, it's an intriguing match up but I will be siding with Cue Card.

I take on board what everyone is saying regarding Thistlecrack's jumping, (which has by the way been excellent, all be it in uncompetitive novice chases).

What I would say is that he was a vastly superior horse to Cue Card over hurdles and in the fullness of time I'm sure will be superior to him over fences.

Thistlecrack was the champion staying hurdler in the country by a wide margin, I have seen nothing in his races over fences to suggest that he will not translate that level of form to chasing.

Personally I would follow the novice route with him this year and then step up next year.

Yarddog, sorry i cant agree that Cue Card was running all over the leaders in last years Gold Cup, I'm still not convinced about him being a strong stayer up the Cheltenham hill after 3m 2f, I remember him being outstayed in the 2014 King George, by Silviniaco Conte after breezing past him about 3 fences out. In last years King George he got the better of a definite non stayer in Vautour, I think Don Cossack would have outstayed the pair of them had he not tipped up at the second last.

I like Cue Card and think he is a good horse, but he wouldn't be for me in a Gold Cup. I think it speaks volumes about what the Tizzard's think of both Cue Card and Thistlecrack, that they are thinking of taking Cue Card on in Thistlecrack's novice season.

Anyway its all about opinions and beats talking about Latics for a change.

Edited by Hometownclub

[quote name="Hometownclub" post="883381" timestamp="1482306453

I like Cue Card and think he is a good horse, but he wouldn't be for me in a Gold Cup. I think it speaks volumes about what the Tizzard's think of both Cue Card and Thistlecrack, that they are thinking of taking Cue Card on in Thistlecrack's novice season.

I get the distinct impression that the decision to run Thistlecrack is the owner's rather than the trainer's and is based on the horse being of advanced years for a novice.

Ok guess I will have to have my say on the hot topic. I hope they both fall at the first but don't get injured and that you boring :censored: all do your bollox on them ! FFS mods can we ensure that this remains an Oldham athletic themed board please ?

As they say "Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one"

Edited by Hometownclub

I get the distinct impression that the decision to run Thistlecrack is the owner's rather than the trainer's and is based on the horse being of advanced years for a novice.

Maybe, but they could have just stayed hurdling and won several more staying hurdle crowns, this horse has taken well to fences.

Coneygreee won the Gold Cup as a novice, I absolutely wouldn't put it past this horse to do the same.

I don't get on OWTB as much as I used to...used to be addicted to looking up the latest news and gossip. Refreshing the Oldham Chron website for the days news and refreshing the Official site...I wondered how people still keep the interest in this sorry state of affairs but now the above all makes sense!

If we are going to go defensive then this would work well.

But I think 2 points and no goals from the Sheff Utd and Fleetwood games wouldn't do Robinson any favours.

In his eyes, scarily, they'd be tremendous results in which he'd laud the players and rue missed opportunities again...

I think the Sheffield game will be very much about damage limitation tbh,

I think we will set up even more defensively than normal (if that's possible), and hope somehow to grind out a thrilling 0-0.

I suspect that this wont work and we'll get beat 2 or 3 nil, (never having threatened their goal).

I think those of us that have a keen interest in the glorious sport of national hunt racing should make a concerted effort to hijack every thread and talk about that instead.

Long odds on shot that someone will pop up in a moment to tell us that it's all a fix etc. which will be ironic given that it will clearly come from a follower of what is far and away the most corrupt sport n the planet given that pretty much every professional participant cheats in every single game they play in.

In his eyes, scarily, they'd be tremendous results in which he'd laud the players and rue missed opportunities again...

Worrying and likely to be true.

Leading us towards relegation isn't the thing that I hold against him, we're heading that way anyway sooner or later. The lack of goals and attacking strategy is the most galling thing.

In August it was the right thing to do setting the team up in a defence-first way. But he clearly hasn't had any idea for getting us scoring regularly.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Draws at Sheff Utd and Fleetwood would be great results in my eyes, it will probably be backed up by an insipid 0-2 loss at home to Vale, this is what pisses me off more than anything tbh.

Look at what we've become - a draw at Fleetwood classed as a great result!

I can picture it now, in years to come, the grandkids badgering me to tell them about the good times -

"Tell us that Latics story again, Grandad."

"Neil Redfearn's last minute penalty...?"

"No."

"Frankie Bunn's six goals...?"

"No."

"Oh, you must mean the Premier League Great Escape!"

"No! The time Latics came away from Fleetwood with a nil-nil."