Fall from grace

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you drunk? We spent many years above that league position. 22 consecutive years. 22 years is a long time. If you want to argue it isn't please don't bother.

Ps. Bury's is 43. I'd call that competing.

We have been in this league now for almost 22 consecutive years. That cancels out your 22 years so shall we now discuss the other 70 years of the clubs history because when I last did sums 70 years was a lot longer than 2 cancelling out sets of 22?

Edited by Magister

Two things to remember here-

1/ Perception of Latics' historical importance depends not only on stats, but on the age of the particular "viewer". It's not surprising that younger fans associate us with the big time, we were genuinely good when football was being seared upon their youthful conscience. For me, a little more mature, Leeds and derby will always be giants. For those of even greater patina, it may be Wolves, Preston North End, or Blackpool. A club like Rochdale, who have never even known a purple patch, do not suffer from "Fallen Giant Syndrome", their fans are for the most part happy and contented just to be in the football league. We used to be like Rochdale until Big Joe came and :censored:ed things up.

2/ The Championship is very reminiscent of the old First Division whilst the Premier League is very much the Utd./City/Arsenal/Chelsea show with sacrificial lambs thrown in. Although not really quantifiable, it could be argued that League 1 is equivalent to old Division 2 (I know, that last bit, I'm struggling too).

Edited by piglinbland

Well I do! have you been in the main stand lately? The last time I was in there the seat I paid for was hanging on with one nail. It is one of the least developed/renovated ground in the league

I sit in the Main Stand - greatest in England.

Other than that though, I'd say the other three are adequate...

Well I do! have you been in the main stand lately? The last time I was in there the seat I paid for was hanging on with one nail. It is one of the least developed/renovated ground in the league

So you took my seat Dave?

Guest nonaenever

Dave - you'll be pleased to know the nail has now gone - I had it surgically removed from my left buttock after Port Vale at home :shakeit:

My seat is front row Main Stand Upper - plenty of leg room and no one blocking the view...

Same here. Front row main stand upper white block. Wouldn't change it for any other seat in the ground.

The actual stand may be arcaic but my view is virtually unbeatable

Forte, none of which were established champ clubs though were they. There is a difference between having a purple patch where you punch above your weight for a couple of years and actually being established at that level. For so long we were an established 2nd tier club. Part of the furniture at thay level much like say Ipswich. The same does not apply to gillingham who merely flirted with the champ.

That is my point here and illustrates have far we have fallen in stature, status, finance, fan base etc.

The first 3 clubs mentioned each had a decent spell in that League. Even Gillingham did for. While

Eh?

Fallen is past tense. Hence we have fallen from grace to our current level.

Yes we are an established 3rd tier club.

Yes and. we were an established 3 rd tier club before.....72 post war years....30 years at tier 3 and below followed by 22 years at 2 or above followed by 20 years at tier 3.......... the brief sojourn above level 3 is what is out of step not our current level.

To label us as a club who has fallen from grace does not stack up. We have spent 69.5% of our post war history in tier 3 or below.

Didn't say that 2nd tier was our natural level or was reflective of our average but for a very significant period of time we were very much established at that level from which we have fallen - hence 'fall from grace'. Fluking 4 years in a league ala bury, stockport, gillingham etc is very different to how we performed for 22 years (!)