Coventry

Bit ironic as well given we played with no recognised striker for most of the game..

Not played with a recognised striker for most of the season ;-)

As for some of the posts that are critical of supporters vocalising their views when they are critical of players or tactics - not sure what to make of it.

Supporters have views on the game they pay to watch, and for me it's perfectly reasonable to voice concerns on a forum, and even talking to friends at the game.

We are a team that is struggling, and therefore circumstances mean that is likely that there will be things that fans don't like.

I would never boo or barrack a player on the pitch - occasionally I might let out a groan or shout out in frustration in the moment - but I will raise my opinion on here, hopefully in what will be a debate about various merits of point of view.

Yesterday's 3-2 was exciting and nervous, if not high quality for thtime most part. It was more entertaining than a lot of this season and for that I am very happy. But there are a number of poor players / performances IMO that are worthy of discourse.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as mclaughlins goal was for me he was about to feed ngoo until he went to ground. It was only then he took it on and the rest is history.

So technically ngoo being a tart and dropping like a sack of spuds won us the game ?

No chance. He was always going alone. Still amazed at what a good goal it was. I didn't think he had that in his locker...

Coventry will go away thinking how they lost, but the 25 minutes between 50 and 75 are the reason they are where they are.

I thought they were quicker to the ball generally and certainly rotated the ball better and more quickly through the top two thirds.

BUT as soon as we started to press in the game they went missing. Mclaughlin, Green and Taylor started to drive at their back 4 and they just retreated and capitulated. It was only when we stopped doing what had served us so well that they came back into the game.

We have to work on our defensive shape when we lose the ball. For all the stick SR got for the posession quote I can see what he is getting at. Our fullbacks are so exposed its frightening and we don't seem to recognise or sense where we should be dropping back into to alleviate the pressure.

For all the talk of Ngoo, Mclaughlin was terrific through that period of dominance in the second half. His goal was the culmination of his positive movement and commiting defenders that created space elsewhere. His goal was the difference between the sides and thank god it was!!

A massive three points from a tough game and certainly three we wouldn't have picked up a month ago.

I thought Tudgay was excellent for them ,held to ball up well, and nearly all of his touches/ passes came off.

As for some of the posts that are critical of supporters vocalising their views when they are critical of players or tactics - not sure what to make of it.

Supporters have views on the game they pay to watch, and for me it's perfectly reasonable to voice concerns on a forum, and even talking to friends at the game.

The people I heard appeared to have a problem with Taylor and were sneering at the idea he was going to be our "saviour" from the off (probably while he was warming up too had I been there then).

The way they were spouting their :censored:e at a certain volume made it clear it was as much a dig at other supporters as it was at him.

They'd been tickled with that particular OAFC special stick that gives them a strange, deep, personal dislike of local lads/youth products who - god forbid - might do well for us. Eardley was the worst recipient in my time with Taylor a close second and already it's started again.

Utter weirdo's.

Edited by HarryBosch

No chance. He was always going alone. Still amazed at what a good goal it was. I didn't think he had that in his locker...

If we credit Flynn with the first (which we should) - all three goals were scored by players who were here under Robinson.

And all three goals could have - but probably wouldn't have - been scored under Robinson.

To me the game changed when O'Neill was pushed forward early in the second half for a 10 to 15 minute spell, his speed and play in that spell was outstanding, when 3-1 up we sat back and let them come at us, our defence through out the game looked fragile ( surprisingly ) Gerrard to me looked a liability, lacks match fitness and seems to be on a very short fuse at the moment. Brian Wilson seemed to struggle as a full back in the second half and was ripped to pieces several times, he needed support and didn't seem to get it.

Overall to very poor teams, trying to play pub football ( no insult to pub football ) on a poor Sunday league pitch, we could easily have been 1-3 down at half time through failure to close players down.

Players who put a shift in:- Ripley, Clarke, O'Neill, McLaughlin ( very good goal ), Holloway, Flynn to some extent, the rest very so so ( being polite ).

Gerrard was my MoM. His positional play and leadership at the back was a joy to behold. What a player he will be when he drops that timber he is carrying...

They'd been tickled with that particular OAFC special stick that gives them a strange, deep, personal dislike of local lads/youth products who - god forbid - might do well for us. Eardley was the worst recipient in my time with Taylor a close second and already it's started again.

Utter weirdo's.

Not that we have ever caught you doing that, is it? :clint: