Naming the Jimmy Frizzell Stand

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a novel idea why don't we just try and do the right thing for a change, I'm told our fan on the board gives up a day a week of his own time to work at the club so we can't say he's not hands on and in the know so surely some sort of update isnt a huge request, if you run a campaign to appeal for money for a scoreboard it's imperative that those kind enough to pledge donations are kept informed of any developments, it's just morally wrong to sit on those pledges which were made in good faith with little sign of progress.

I missed the Feb trust meeting that Mark Moisley attended but

Leeslover has confirmed that yet again, the Trust asked the club for an update with regards to Corney sourcing a better deal from China. I believe it's at this meeting that the club confirmed they were looking at other better avenues like a perimeter boarding.

Leeslover has already stated that it is disappointing if that is the case that the club have not announced/updated/vetted contributors to see if this was okay. Maybe it's me being naive enough to think that it's early days and the club are just thrashing this about and then will come to us fans/contributors with options on this. They must know however, that the Trust meeting notes tend to be published about 6weeks later on our site with this info in it.

However, I don't know if I dreamed it but at the fans meeting in Jan with NNN, wasn't it mentioned then that there could be a change to perimeter boarding and refunds could be on offer? Apologies in advance if this is not the case.

Please be mindful that this crowd funding initiative agreement is with Tifosy and club. The trust only took over the fundraising part when it stated to falter at £9k (which is a bloody brilliant amount to raise), with only a few weeks to go. We re-negotiated on the clubs behalf an extension to fundraiser to the end of the season and a more realistic target of £26k.

However as a contributor myself and I offered a kickback from the season ticket promotion/refund. I can't find the paperwork I signed to say part of my refund was to go to the scoreboard kitty. Just to confirm it said scoreboard on it. Anyone else remember this form? Just in case I decide I would like a refund.

I'm really having to bite my tongue in half with recent relations between club/owner and Trust.

What I have to be mindful off is that I am not on the frontline if I do so, I put someone else in a difficult position and trust me....it's not all roses for him at the moment.

What I will say is that your Trust meets every month and we publish our notes on our official site, these notes contain updates/issues/hurdles we are encountering in our progress to work with owner/landlord/club and to protect your 3% interest. Specifically Nov, Dec and Jan are of interest.

Our site is a work in progress and is looked after by volunteers so apologies if the meeting notes are not in your face right away. Please go to

www.trustoldham.co.uk.

Select the icon in the middle of the screen that has three parrall lines on it, this will expand to a black screen on on the left hand margin, select news, this will then expand to all the recent news articles and your trust meeting notes by date. Selected within the article...to notes and they are there.

I am not stirring up the proverbial hornets nest, but it's about time I stood up and directed you to the information that's in the public domain so apologies that I have not done this before

Edited by underdog

I'm really having to bite my tongue in half with recent relations between club/owner and Trust.

What I have to be mindful off is that I am not on the frontline if I do so, I put someone else in a difficult position and trust me....it's not all roses for him at the moment.

What I will say is that your Trust meets every month and we publish our notes on our official site, these notes contain updates/issues/hurdles we are encountering in our progress to work with owner/landlord/club and to protect your 3% interest. Specifically Nov, Dec and Jan are of interest.

Our site is a work in progress and is looked after by volunteers so apologies if the meeting notes are not in your face right away. Please go to

www.trustoldham.co.uk.

Select the icon in the middle of the screen that has three parrall lines on it, this will expand to a black screen on on the left hand margin, select news, this will then expand to all the recent news articles and your trust meeting notes are in there

I am not stirring up the proverbial hornets nest, but it's about time I stood up and directed you to the information that's in the public domain so apologies that I have not done this before

Simon Brooke still waiting to see financials?

If the money was to go elsewhere I'd like it to go into improving the look of the North Stand.

All the grey area above the fans, around the corporate area is horrible. It needs something which identifies it as Oldham Athletic, whether it be the words writ large across the top or loads of flags and murals. It looks like a big piece of corporate concrete and plastic as it is.

Renaming the RRE the Jimmy Frizzell stand could be another, but after however many months of no action on that front it'd feel a bit late, imo. It's really a bit :censored: that virtually nothing has been done to show that we've got a stand named after a club legend. Properly Latics kind of laziness and oversight.

Simon Brooke still waiting to see financials?

I missed Feb trust update so this could now have been resolved. Maybe Leeslover or Jorvik who may have attended that meeting could verify it.

I will presume we we close to achieving this or as our Jan meeting notes state, an Emergency General meeting would have been called/about to be called otherwise

Not sure what some of the pussyfooting around the issue is.

If there isn't enough money for a scoreboard then it should either be refunded or the club pay the difference.

Any suggestions by the club to the contrary should surely be met with a request they :censored: off.

My view on the scoreboard and renaming of the stand are not a dig at the Trust, I know your probably flogging a dead horse and get little recognition for all the hours you put in as a group, I know Simon (Corney) likes to keep everything hush hush and he probably has his reasons for that but with regard to these two issues they really need addressing as a matter of urgency.

Edited by yarddog73

Oohhhhh trust me....we may only meet once a month but with social media we are in contact if not everyday, when issues like this are flagged...hourly.

I am unsure so don't hang, draw and quarter me yet but isn't the Tiofsy agreement and subsequent fund releasing for a scoreboard? If that has been a changed/altered shouldn't Tiofsy be notified?

I'm sure someone has advised by the Tiofsy site and club site states still a scoreboard?

Maybe it's part of the delayed advising us fans of the change.lhmmmmm

If the money was to go elsewhere I'd like it to go into improving the look of the North Stand.

All the grey area above the fans, around the corporate area is horrible. It needs something which identifies it as Oldham Athletic, whether it be the words writ large across the top or loads of flags and murals. It looks like a big piece of corporate concrete and plastic as it is.

Renaming the RRE the Jimmy Frizzell stand could be another, but after however many months of no action on that front it'd feel a bit late, imo. It's really a bit :censored: that virtually nothing has been done to show that we've got a stand named after a club legend. Properly Latics kind of laziness and oversight.

The trust have been looking into the North stand, getting some memorabilla behind Perspex glass is an option ..Murials etc too.

With regards to how to honour the man, the Trust agreed we would gauge fans feedback on the options on behalf of the club/fans, we ran with it, went back to the club with the results. Club off the top off my head, acknowledge this but as we all now know, money has been tight at the club and maybe, maybe it's a case that their aren't any funds to go ahead with this at the moment. I believe it was suggested the Trust pay for it instead, but this would not be the correct use of Trust funds.

Whether the Trust looks at another fundraiser for this is another matter as TBH, the lack of scoreboard movement is not casting us in a good light as we pushed this initiative over the finishing line so to speak for the club. I am loathed/concerned if we do something like this again if the club will struggling to make good on their promises and we the Trust, get tarnished because of it.

The Trusts unease with the current situation is probably reflected across the fan base and fans who I've spoken too would be reluctant to contribute anything to any further appeals if they were made. It's a shame because we have a Chief Executive who claims to be working on and improving engagement with fans yet his words just appear to be lip service, it's probably a symptom of being a one man band and the man with the instruments can't play the bloody triangle.

The trust have been looking into the North stand, getting some memorabilla behind Perspex glass is an option ..Murials etc too.

With regards to how to honour the man, the Trust agreed we would gauge fans feedback on the options on behalf of the club/fans, we ran with it, went back to the club with the results. Club off the top off my head, acknowledge this but as we all now know, money has been tight at the club and maybe, maybe it's a case that their aren't any funds to go ahead with this at the moment. I believe it was suggested the Trust pay for it instead, but this would not be the correct use of Trust funds.

Whether the Trust looks at another fundraiser for this is another matter as TBH, the lack of scoreboard movement is not casting us in a good light as we pushed this initiative over the finishing line so to speak for the club. I am loathed/concerned if we do something like this again if the club will struggling to make good on their promises and we the Trust, get tarnished because of it.

It's no way a dig at the Trust. I'd imagine the ideal scenario would be that the Trust wouldn't have to harass the club to do the basics which they fail to do on a regular basis. I'd imagine it should be an organisation run in conjuction with the club, not a lobbying group.

I'm glad you've got some kind of plan for the North Stand though. It's the small things really, and I think a bit of life in the form of Latics-related flags and banners would make a bigger difference than people imagine. Shrewsbury and Preston are clubs who it may be worth looking at in relation to that.

Edited by NewBlue

So if the trust raise the funds and keep the funds there wouldn't be an issue?

It's something we can look at of course, properly run like I think it's called crowd funding/my cause page?

But and it's a big but....we don't own the ground so we would need permission from owner/landlord/club to alter/add to the ground. So you can imagine if the answer was no if we raised money in a good intentional way, for it to go belly up.

I think the consensus is now we have egg on our face with delays/lack of updates we would like to see what pans out with scoreboard/stand renaming update from the club, Before we commit to anything again.

Think you can understand why

It's no way a dig at the Trust. I'd imagine the ideal scenario would be that the Trust wouldn't have to harass the club to do the basics which they fail to do on a regular basis. I'd imagine it should be an organisation run in conjuction with the club, not a lobbying group.

I'm glad you've got some kind of plan for the North Stand though. It's the small things really, and I think a bit of life in the form of Latics-related flags and banners would make a bigger difference than people imagine. Shrewsbury and Preston are clubs who it may be worth looking at in relation to that.

Cheers

We were looking at arranging a memorabilia/swap shop style of market/sale at the club. Either pre/post match or maybe on a Sunday. Also looking at donations too for either the new upper bar area to around the ground to brighten up the place/celebrate our history.

All in early discussions of course but we felt the mood was not right pre shezza return for it.....might still not be right until we are certain of relegation safety. So TBA

It's something we can look at of course, properly run like I think it's called crowd funding/my cause page?

But and it's a big but....we don't own the ground so we would need permission from owner/landlord/club to alter/add to the ground. So you can imagine if the answer was no if we raised money in a good intentional way, for it to go belly up.

I think the consensus is now we have egg on our face with delays/lack of updates we would like to see what pans out with scoreboard/stand renaming update from the club, Before we commit to anything again.

Think you can understand why

I think you are in an invidious position and took over the scoreboard in good faith. I'm fairly sure I contributed.

Personally speaking, if there is a cast iron case for perimeter fencing because it could raise a (a decent amount) more money, then I am fine with that BUT, it would all have to be above board and clearly laid out, which clearly it hasn't so far, but even now I am open minded.

The trouble with this, is we've been here a number of times before and lessons have not been learned, and next time the Trust may not be so helpful as you allude, nor the fans so funds dry up. Playershare being an example.

Very frustrating, but I think Simon B needs to put his foot down I share your need to bite your tongue (admire that you do) as the season is on the up in general terms on the pitch, but I I hope history is also not repeating itself on multiple levels.

Hugely frustrating.

Edited by singe

I think you are in an invidious position and took over the scoreboard in good faith. I'm fairly sure I contributed.

Personally speaking, if there is a cast iron case for perimeter fencing because it could raise a (a decent amount) more money, then I am fine with that BUT, it would all have to be above board and clearly laid out, which clearly it hasn't so far, but even now I am open minded.

The trouble with this, is we've been here a number of times before and lessons have not been learned, and next time the Trust may not be so helpful as you allude, nor the fans so funds dry up. Playershare being an example.

Very frustrating, but I think Simon B needs to put his foot down I share your need to bite your tongue (admire that you do) as the season is on the up in general terms on the pitch, but I I hope history is also not repeating itself on multiple levels.

Hugely frustrating.

Personally I couldn't give a toss about a scoreboard and I'm perhaps less keen on a perimeter thingy. However, as a Trust we got on board the previously existing campaign to try and make something positive out of it and, crucially, to maintain our credibility with crowdfunding for future events.

I've no idea whether this solution is equal, worse or better to a scoreboard in most people's view. Mark did tell us that the costs were well above the amount raised but without giving a figure. He told us that it was expected to be a revenue generator although he didn't have forecasts of income. He told us deposits had been paid and shipping costs were being sorted.

That's about as much as we have at the moment, hopefully the club will be in a place to give more details soon.

Edited by leeslover

Part of the trust deal with the club Re scoreboard was that any funds generated re advertising/fans messages was to go back to the trust.

The trust would then use the revenue on two fronts. The trust war chest being one and more fan funded initiatives being the other. Money raised by the fans, for the fans.

This now sounds to me as the club have moved the goalposts, I could be wrong but it maybe the case that future revenue goes back to the club. Some may say that this is not a bad thing, helping the club. BUT it was not part of the deal the trust struck with the club.

If confirmed, then it's very disappointing not to get a scoreboard and not to get the money raised off it too.