Season Predictions 2017/18

Top 6

Wigan - look to have a good squad, and in Powell and Grigg, probably the two best players in the division. Think they're a sure thing to be around the top. 

Blackburn - think Mowbray is a good coach, and barring any off-field nonsense, should do well. You'd imagine Graham will score goals in League One, and Whittingham and Dack are very good signings. 

Southend -  made progress every year under Brown, and have made a couple of good signings too. 

MK Dons - improved under Nielson last year, and think that a full pre-season under him, and with more of his own squad, they'll be pushing for promotion. 

Oxford - impressed by them last season, and think their squad is better than last year. Clotet seems really likeable, and Leeds fans wanted him to stay. 

Fleetwood - lost a couple of players, but have brought some interesting signings in. Think they'll be up there again if they start well.

Relegation

Walsall - their squad, other than Otzhumer, just look really bland and dull, and have been in decline since Dean Smith left. 

Wimbledon - awful end to last season, lost a lot of players, and their replacements don't look as good. 

Gillingham - again, a couple of years of decline, and their squad doesn't look great. Possibility of Tom Eaves and Conor Wilkinson up top together!

Blackpool - made a couple of decent signings, but think there's too much off-field trouble that will inevitably kick off at some point. 

Latics position - 13th. I was actually quite optimistic at the end of last season, but I'm not sure we're going to score a lot with AAH/Davies/Duffus, and the midfield's a real problem, desperate for some creativity in there. McLaughlin played well at the top of the diamond on Tuesday, be interesting if he continues there. 

Latics POTY - Clarke, obviously. Runner-up, Fane.

Latics YPOTY - Stott. Looked really good, especially at centre-half, and Shez liking 3 at the back might give him a fair few opportunities. 

Latics top scorer - Davies, 9-12 goals. He's the only person in the squad with any pedigree of scoring. 

League One top scorer - Grigg. 

League One POTY - Whittingham. 

Miscellaneous - Holloway to score fewer than 7 league goals. Bury won't actually go bust, but Lee Clark won't see out the season. Rochdale to just miss the play-offs. Davies to get 10 yellows and 1 red. We don't get bought by Chinese millionaires. England win the World Cup. 

I mean..... even the most ardent opponent of my marketing of Prediction League will sympathise with me using this gift horse as an opportunity to plug the league.....

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?/forum/78-owtb-prediction-league/

Edited by lookersstandandy

Just now, lookersstandandy said:

I mean..... even the most ardent opponent of my marketing/plugging of Prediction League will sympathise with me using this gift horse as an opportunity to plug the league.....

Crap, I was supposed to mention it!

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Top 6

• Wigan
  • Bury
  • Blackburn
  • Northampton
  • Oxford
  • Bradford

Relegation

• Plymouth
  • Shrewsbury
  • Gillingham
  • Wimbledon

Latics position - 18th. Midfield isn't sorted and we don't have creativity. McLaughlin gone and I don't see us getting over 50 goals.

Latics POTY - Clarke

Latics top scorer - Davies (9)

League One top scorer - Charlie Wyke

Miscellaneous - 

Latics 60 points plus.  Not sure where that will leave us

We wont do worse under Sheridan for a full season.  Its a question of how much better we are than the 53 points last season and 54 points the season before, when Sheridan inherited a mess in January.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Similar to NewBlue here - I fancy Bury to have a decent season...

I find myself thinking that at the start of most seasons in recent years but, with Lee Clark as manager, I can't see it.  The guy's an idiotic charlatan.

23 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I find myself thinking that at the start of most seasons in recent years but, with Lee Clark as manager, I can't see it.  The guy's an idiotic charlatan.

Agreed.  Thick as a workhouse butty.  Painful listening.

B*****d Rovers and Wigan to go up automatically. Both Dale and Bury to push for the play-off but Peterborough to be the surprise package and go up. 

Blackpool, Gillingham, Shrewsbury and Wimbledon to go down.

Latics to finish 15th with Duffus as top scorer and Fane as player of the season.

Whilst I still despise everything the Checkatrade stands for, and will be boycotting it again, I think that the available odds of 66/1 for us to win it are ridiculous. Any team that opts to take it seriously could easily win it.

Edited by Latics and England

12 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Top 6

Portsmouth

Wigan Athletic

Blackburn Rovers

Scunthorpe United

Bristol Rovers

Charlton Athletic

Relegation

Gillingham

Shrewsbury Town

Blackpool

Northampton Town

Latics position - 13th.  I think we'll be in the top 8 come Christmas but gradually fade away from February onwards.

Latics POTY - Ryan McLaughlin

Latics YPOTY - Rob Hunt (does he count?)

Latics top scorer - Aaron Holloway

League One top scorer - Brett Pitman

League One POTY -  Peter Whittingham

Miscellaneous - Aidy Pennock to be the first manager sacked.  Lee Clark won't see out the season.

Heart says 9th, head says 16th.  

We still haven't got enough in the middle of the park and no keeper on the eve of the season isn't the greatest position to be in.  An influential keeper is crucial and whilst we're trying to tie one down it will take time to gel with defence.  I can see us struggling again at the start of the season before we pick up towards Christmas with some signings then in January that maintains momentum.

POTY - Jose Baxter (gut feeling we'll bring him in sometime this season)

YPOTY - Duffus

Top Scorer - Duffus