Defining Day

I can't help but feel that today could be one of the biggest defining moments in our clubs history 

My brother and I are both lifelong Oldham fans who don't and have never lived in Oldham, and last night we had a conversation on what happens if worse case scenario we don't get taken over and we cease to exist (it isn't a major leap from where we are now.) A horrendous thought and we were in agreement that it would probably end our interest in football. 

Interested to know what others would do if it got to that point?

If Latics ceased to exist it wouldn't totally end my interest in football, but it would end my actually going to watch live games, I couldn't see myself going watching anybody else, after over 40 years of watching Latics.

I was very spoiled in the late 80's and early 90's, watching exciting attacking football, but I feel I have more than paid for that since.

Go and watch Glossop North End and possibly watch football abit of other football on tv. My football interest doesn't begin and end with OAFC although it clearly is the biggest part.

That said it's highly unlikely that this will lead to the apocalypse. If it gets really desperate then if we fans pull together we can save the club and their will be an Oldham Athletic of some sort. Even if it means fan ownership for a short period of time. 

Having read this message board and JKLatics years before people have been predicting the end of OAFC all the way through that time it never happens. Alright we've not thrived in that time but neither have we died.

Have faith folks these things rarely turn out as bad as they can initially seem.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Making a mountain out of a mole hill I reckon folks. Please stop dramatising everything. I predict 3 maybe 4 players brought in on loans or short term deals with a statement from SC that the club has bent over backwards to secure additional resources to help shez. 

No more than that.

lets see

34 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

If Latics ceased to exist it wouldn't totally end my interest in football....

....it would end mine for some time.... until my son is old enough to potentially show an interest and then I might take him to my local club Brentford.... but I would forever have a feeling of sadness and bitterness towards the system, greed of others and hopelessness of various failed owners. For those of us who've left the bosom of the North West, Latics is one thing that anchors us to our home. Without it, I would feel cut adrift for a while.

2 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Making a mountain out of a mole hill I reckon folks. Please stop dramatising everything. I predict 3 maybe 4 players brought in on loans or short term deals with a statement from SC that the club has bent over backwards to secure additional resources to help shez. 

No more than that.

lets see

Thats wishful thinking.

I woke up to a text off someone connected to the club to expect an eye opening day so much so Sky Sports are rumoured to have sent a camera crew and reporter to Boundary Park today, and when you think just how busy the rest of the football world is going to be on this day i think that speaks volumes...

Ive got the popcorn ready

2 minutes ago, Mouth On Legs said:

Thats wishful thinking.

I woke up to a text off someone connected to the club to expect an eye opening day so much so Sky Sports are rumoured to have sent a camera crew and reporter to Boundary Park today, and when you think just how busy the rest of the football world is going to be on this day i think that speaks volumes...

Ive got the popcorn ready

Yep im with you, i think this could be big.

Only thing thats concerning me is the trust being pretty much kept in the dark.

8 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....it would end mine for some time.... until my son is old enough to potentially show an interest......

Belated congratulations mate. Did you win the argument to call him Andrew Roger Richard Francis?

20 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Seen a few people say similar to this - why would we cease to exist? 

Well due to the fact that we were placed under an embargo for going over our budget.....before the season started, not showing any sign of income other than this investor, if it doesn't pan out then what's next administration? Then liquidation? We were close before and we were a lot more of a commodity then. I know it's worse case scenario and it sounds pessimistic but we can only tread water for so long 

1 hour ago, rigsby said:

Waiting for news of a press conference @BP.

Impatiently i might add...

If that was going to happen, wouldn't the press already know about it?

I suspect that any takeover/ investment will of the scale of Mike Newton joining the board of directors for a short time & a kickabout in training with any signings coming from the pool of trialists (so not needing to be made today).

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

No more than that.

lets see

Agree with this, 3 no marks in maximum. Nothing else suggests otherwise to me apart from hearsay and rumours.

If Corneys done a suspect deal selling a stake rather than the whole club then nothing from his history tells me he won't keep it from the fans and cover it up like everything else.

Just now, LaticsLegend said:

Agree with this, 3 no marks in maximum. Nothing else suggests otherwise to me apart from hearsay and rumours.

If Corneys done a suspect deal selling a stake rather than the whole club then nothing from his history tells me he won't keep it from the fans and cover it up like everything else.

No one has mentioned players could be out too.

10 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I can't see how sky news would know, without matt, nick or mike getting wind. Plus clubs normally announce press conferences before this time of day, normally the day before

These things can often be embargoed.

The Sports Direct deal was supposed to make us more competitive, the OEC was supposed to provide extra funds to make us more competitive. We really haven't benefited from any of these deals on or off the pitch, to be honest. I very much doubt any new investment (if it happens) will benefit the club in any financial way.  The only people to benefit will be Corney and the agent investors.  How any of this (again if it happens) is legal is completely beyond me, but then again Corney does like cutting corners if he can see a dollar in it for him.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

....it would end mine for some time.... until my son is old enough to potentially show an interest and then I might take him to my local club Brentford.... but I would forever have a feeling of sadness and bitterness towards the system, greed of others and hopelessness of various failed owners. For those of us who've left the bosom of the North West, Latics is one thing that anchors us to our home. Without it, I would feel cut adrift for a while.

I'd probably go to watch Bath City with my mate, but the interest and the fervour with which I've supported Latics since I was 6 yrs old couldn't be replaced.

Well for what its worth, the Oldham Chronicle doesn't appear to be prepared for any announcement of significance regarding the long term future of the Club

Todays back page headlines being:

Hectic day awaits Shez

Transfer deals are set to be completed