Coventry after Davies??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems, to some, the possibility of selling Davies is the same old club policy of desperately plugging an haemorrhaging bank balance.

Surely this must cast serious doubt on the aspirations of our potential new owner. It beggars belief that Al is allowing Corney to sell any decent player that he likes and believes can do a job for Wellens, if Wellens wants to keep him.

The worst thing I see here is Al, with a fair wind, consolidating our L1 position by cashing in on any contracted players judged to be surplus to a concentrated effort on promotion next season.

He is a man with a plan and we have certainly witnessed during the last few months he has not been waiting to be the figurehead before moulding the future. I don't accept this months player movement has been orchestrated by Corney.

Wether Al delivers to our satisfaction will be judged soon enough. I'm optimistic.

Edited by mikeroyboy

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Don't think they have made a concrete bid (yet), but Derby have been keeping a close eye on him. Milwall are also keen...

Millwall seems more logical especially with his brother being there.

McLaughlin takes too long to get up to speed after his injuries - of which he has too many. I’d look to shift him on for a fee and free up a decent wage. 

It might sound a bit radical to some however I can see Dummigan becoming a winger. He is a slight liability defensively and is a much better player when his attacking instincts aren’t curbed. He can get us up the pitch quickly as well which is what Wellens said he is after

42 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

It seems, to some, the possibility of selling Davies is the same old club policy of desperately plugging an haemorrhaging bank balance.

Surely this must cast serious doubt on the aspirations of our potential new owner. It beggars belief that Al is allowing Corney to sell any decent player that he likes and believes can do a job for Wellens, if Wellens wants to keep him.

The worst thing I see here is Al, with a fair wind, consolidating our L1 position by cashing in on any contracted players judged to be surplus to a concentrated effort on promotion next season.

He is a man with a plan and we have certainly witnessed during the last few months he has not been waiting to be the figurehead before moulding the future. I don't accept this months player movement has been orchestrated by Corney.

Wether Al delivers to our satisfaction will be judged soon enough. I'm optimistic.

I’m optimistic too, I think it could be exciting times ahead. New influx of cash, a bright young manager, playing a brand of football which is really good to watch.

Taking the Davies situation on its own though, IMO they should be keeping him. We need goals in the second half of the season and he’s delivering. Even RW said himself that “he’s in a rich vein of form”.

Why sell him, especially as they’re unlikely to get a big fee given his age.

When he was played as a pure right side attacking player last season his form dropped in my opinion. It's a lot easier to attack when the play's in front of you. As long as the right side midfield player covers his forward forays he is a great asset at this level. Byrne's failure to track back left him exposed quite a few times

We shouldn’t be looking to get rid of Davies unless Coventry are offering daft money for him.  McLaughlin on the other hand, if Millwall or anybody else are offering hard cash for him we should snatch their hands off.  He’s barely featured this season and hasn’t offered much when he has. It took him a while to get going last season too.

3 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Contract due up in July so atleast wellens is trying to get him out heard he has refused to sign a new deal so makes sense. Few teams in championship want him don’t they? 

It was mentioned in another thread that Corney offered him a new deal in the summer when Wigan were sniffing round but he made it perfectly clear he was off when his contract is up.

8 minutes ago, johnafoafc said:

We shouldn’t be looking to get rid of Davies unless Coventry are offering daft money for him.  McLaughlin on the other hand, if Millwall or anybody else are offering hard cash for him we should snatch their hands off.  He’s barely featured this season and hasn’t offered much when he has. It took him a while to get going last season too.

Agreed ?

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

McLaughlin was at his best when played inside, running off a centre forward. His poor crossing ability is a big drawback for a winger. He shares the same affliction as most of our players, he can't miss the first man when crossing. 

I agree, he was useful as a second striker when we had nobody else last season and looked a threat.  With regards to crossing, I miss having Eyres with his trickery on the left and Andy Liddell walking up and down the right to ping crosses in. 

7 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

People would rather see him run around than score goals 

Holloways none stop running aloud Davies to have a tap in for his first. A striker needs to do more than just score, too many attacks are broken down due to Davies getting bullied but, I've already gone over this and not many of you seem to understand. Won't bother again, wasting my energy typing to people who just look at goal tallies and think it sums a footballer up. ??

2 hours ago, we hate man,u and city to said:

Holloways none stop running aloud Davies to have a tap in for his first. A striker needs to do more than just score, too many attacks are broken down due to Davies getting bullied but, I've already gone over this and not many of you seem to understand. Won't bother again, wasting my energy typing to people who just look at goal tallies and think it sums a footballer up. ??

What a load of nonsense! Strikers ARE about scoring goals. If Davies goes and Holloway comes in we will be hearing ‘Oldham Nil’ a lot more often.

Still if you want a so-called forward with a strike rate of 1 in 10 then good luck.

Davies will be missed if he goes, mark my words.

13 minutes ago, Scapegoat said:

Trying to be positive - Davies is aware of the players that are lined up to come in to the club and doesn’t want to spend the rest of the season on the fringes.

At 32 he needs to be playing regularly.

Could be a positive sign?

I get that, but unless the players lined up are of Eoin Doyle quality why would Davies be on the fringes? He’s scored 13 goals so far this season. We need players like him in the team.

Latics will probably get next to nothing for him money wise, so I’d keep him for the rest of the season and if we get a good replacement in they could let him go in the summer. Seems silly to offload one of our leading goalscorers given where we are in the League right now.

Edited by Gary1906
Typo correction

10 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

I’m optimistic too, I think it could be exciting times ahead. New influx of cash, a bright young manager, playing a brand of football which is really good to watch.

Taking the Davies situation on its own though, IMO they should be keeping him. We need goals in the second half of the season and he’s delivering. Even RW said himself that “he’s in a rich vein of form”.

Why sell him, especially as they’re unlikely to get a big fee given his age.

Exactly. So in that event and Al and Wellens don't have bigger ideas for the time being, they won't sell him.

I don't think Al and Wellens are planning to cut the goals off. Or manage what Corney has failed to do in 13yrs - get us relegated.

20 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

What a load of nonsense! Strikers ARE about scoring goals. If Davies goes and Holloway comes in we will be hearing ‘Oldham Nil’ a lot more often.

Still if you want a so-called forward with a strike rate of 1 in 10 then good luck.

Davies will be missed if he goes, mark my words.

1 in 10 stop bigging  Holloway up he won't score 10 goals in his career!