Alan Groves

22 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

Iirc he scored 1 at BP in 1-1 draw which saw him celebrate  in front of the chaddy hence him getting a lot of stick for the reverse fixture at filbert street  lots of "wheres your hatrick Alan Young " from the traveling tics especially after big Jim Steel banged in the winner for a 1-0 win was a very happy trip back on the latics liner 

Yes remember that 1-0 win very well. First time I had seen "skinhead girls" with bovver boots on (Leicester fans) and remember the Leicester fans (probably the girls!) charging at the Latics fans in the station after the match.

Edited by wiseowl
clarification

On 8/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, peanuts2 said:

Iirc he scored 1 at BP in 1-1 draw which saw him celebrate  in front of the chaddy hence him getting a lot of stick for the reverse fixture at filbert street  lots of "wheres your hatrick Alan Young " from the traveling tics especially after big Jim Steel banged in the winner for a 1-0 win was a very happy trip back on the latics liner 

I stand corrected, my memory must be playing tricks with me! I do recall him scoring at BP and spitting in front of the dugout and my grandad blew a gasket after seeing that. Probably some beef with Sir Jimmy. AY claimed he wasn’t told of other clubs interest in him, including city and that he he’d been offered to city.

Just discovered this thread - some interesting reminiscences about Alan Groves here!

There's one story about him that I've heard several times over the years, and would be interested to know whether anyone else has heard it. The story goes that when Groves was transferred to Latics in late February 1974, he was reluctant to leave Bournemouth and was angry at their manager Trevor Hartley for selling him. The next time the clubs met, Groves came into possession of the ball, but instead of moving towards the Bournemouth goal, dribbled with it towards their dugout and blasted it at full power straight at Hartley, accompanied by aggressive gestures and expletives.

If this really happened, it could only have been in the match at Boundary Park on 19 March 1974, as Groves was still a Bournemouth Player when the sides met at Dean Court on 2 February. The sides never met again until the late 1980s.

Personally, I'm a bit doubtful about this story. I think the original source for it is probably that dodgy geezer Harry Redknapp, whom I heard telling it in a radio interview, though I've also seen versions of it on fan forums and in at least one newspaper article. 

I was among the 13,000 crowd at Boundary Park that night, and don't recall seeing any such incident, nor have I heard any other Latics fan mention it. I would also have thought Frizzell would have taken stern disciplinary action against Groves, such as dropping him or even transfer listing him for such a breach of discipline.

But interesting all the same. Has anyone else heard this story?

4 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Just discovered this thread - some interesting reminiscences about Alan Groves here!

There's one story about him that I've heard several times over the years, and would be interested to know whether anyone else has heard it. The story goes that when Groves was transferred to Latics in late February 1974, he was reluctant to leave Bournemouth and was angry at their manager Trevor Hartley for selling him. The next time the clubs met, Groves came into possession of the ball, but instead of moving towards the Bournemouth goal, dribbled with it towards their dugout and blasted it at full power straight at Hartley, accompanied by aggressive gestures and expletives.

If this really happened, it could only have been in the match at Boundary Park on 19 March 1974, as Groves was still a Bournemouth Player when the sides met at Dean Court on 2 February. The sides never met again until the late 1980s.

Personally, I'm a bit doubtful about this story. I think the original source for it is probably that dodgy geezer Harry Redknapp, whom I heard telling it in a radio interview, though I've also seen versions of it on fan forums and in at least one newspaper article. 

I was among the 13,000 crowd at Boundary Park that night, and don't recall seeing any such incident, nor have I heard any other Latics fan mention it. I would also have thought Frizzell would have taken stern disciplinary action against Groves, such as dropping him or even transfer listing him for such a breach of discipline.

That's the 1st time I've heard this story, I would imagine I would have been at this game as a 13 year old who lived and breathed all things Latics. 

1 hour ago, Summerdeep said:

Talking of apocryphal storys about Groves is there any truth in the tale of him sitting on the ball doing his laces story that does the rounds ? 

10 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Talking of apocryphal storys about Groves is there any truth in the tale of him sitting on the ball doing his laces story that does the rounds ? 

That may have happened in a pre season friendly at Mossley, seem to recall a conversation about this with a friend who attended the game. I might be a mile off with this though as there have been many pints downed since. 

Just noticed that there's a brief reference in Groves's Wikipedia entry in relation to the alleged Trevor Hartley incident. This does cast further doubts upon the reliability of Redknapp as a witness though, as he states that it occurred after Groves had scored a goal - Latics' scorers that night were Blair, Robins and Garwood (2), but not Groves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Groves

I think it's perfectly possible that Groves and Hartley may have had issues between them, and that there may have been some kind of minor incident (eg as the sides left the pitch), but that Redknapp exaggerated and embroidered it in later years for dramatic effect.

As for Groves being unhappy about leaving Bournemouth, it's interesting to listen to this interview with Ian Wood, who seems to suggest that the opposite was the case (from the 6:25 mark):

Bournemouth had a formidable side under John Bond 1970-73, but when Bond moved to Norwich early in the 1973-74 season, he took all their best players with him (Powell, Jones, Boyer, Machin, Benson) and Groves was the only decent footballer they had left by February 74. They were actually relegated in 1974-75.

On 8/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

You must admit it is a but alarming that he married a 16 year old girl...

Very strange times we live in, Lee. Gay old men can have sexual relations with their teen lovers and millions of people say nothing. Many in this weird world we live in actually celebrate it! Go and look at the story around a certain TV presenter - people fawning over him. Makes me physically sick.

Nothing wrong with what Grovesy did at all - the age gap wasn't that big.

She married Les Chapman later - does that make him dodgy too?

My final word on the subject.

13 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Well, she wasn't a schoolgirl when Chapman married her so I'd say not.

That said, I am pretty sure I wouldn't marry my best friends wife if he died, but each to their own...

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Very strange times we live in, Lee. Gay old men can have sexual relations with their teen lovers and millions of people say nothing. Many in this weird world we live in actually celebrate it! Go and look at the story around a certain TV presenter - people fawning over him. Makes me physically sick.

What in the fuck does this have to do with someone being gay? There's a societal problem with older men abusing their positions of power over younger people, irrespective of gender. Some get a social pass with regards to it, and some don't. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wiseowl said:

If I could down vote this I would but I'll just leave this here as I wouldn't know where to start (although @Ackeysays a lot of what I wanted to say)

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Well, she wasn't a schoolgirl when Chapman married her so I'd say not.

That said, I am pretty sure I wouldn't marry my best friends wife if he died, but each to their own...

I didn't know she also married Les Chapman.
I know a woman who married the twin brother of her dead boyfriend [tragic car accident].

On 6/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, disjointed said:

It's just that they stuck in the mind. The goal at Blackburn when he picked up the ball on the wing just inside his own half, beat 5 players, (it may have been less but it felt that way) got to the edge of the 18 yard box and unleashed a screamer into the top corner. My 1st hero and a pleasure to talk to also. 

I know this is quite an old post, but I still thought it worth replying to say that your memory is not playing tricks. Groves did indeed run through at least five or six attempted tackles before scoring in that Blackburn game at Ewood (2nd March 1974). Funnily enough he started out on the right touchline, then jinked his way to the 'D' on the edge of the penalty area before unleashing an unstoppable shot. The really satisfying thing was that the goal came in the 90th minute, and Rovers had no chance to get back into the game. Some Latics fans had a really rough time at that match, and our coach got a brick through the window as we left town.

From the sublime to the ridiculous....our very next away match was at Chesterfield, who were on a great run themselves and well in contention for promotion. In a very tight contest, with hardly any chances created by either side, Chesterfield led 1-0 in stoppage time, when the Latics finally unlocked their defence: a cross from the right found Groves unmarked in the six yard box, with the keeper nowhere to be seen and the goal at his mercy. It was your classic 'tap in', but Groves tried to be too clever and chip the ball just inside the far post. Needless to say it drifted a few inches wide, and I don't think there was even time for the goalkick to be taken. That ended our legendary run of 10 consecutive wins that season.

Edited by Summerdeep

7 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I know this is quite an old post, but I still thought it worth replying to say that your memory is not playing tricks. Groves did indeed run through at least five or six attempted tackles before scoring in that Blackburn game at Ewood (2nd March 1974). Funnily enough he started out on the right touchline, then jinked his way to the 'D' on the edge of the penalty area before unleashing an unstoppable shot. The really satisfying thing was that the goal came in the 90th minute, and Rovers had no chance to get back into the game. Some Latics fans had a really rough time at that match, and our coach got a brick through the window as we left town.

From the sublime to the ridiculous....our very next away match was at Chesterfield, who were on a great run themselves and well in contention for promotion. In a very tight contest, with hardly any chances created by either side, Chesterfield led 1-0 in stoppage time, when the Latics finally unlocked their defence: a cross from the right found Groves unmarked in the six yard box, with the keeper nowhere to be seen and the goal at his mercy. It was your classic 'tap in', but Groves tried to be too clever and chip the ball just inside the far post. Needless to say it drifted a few inches wide, and I don't think there was even time for the goalkick to be taken. That ended our legendary run of 10 consecutive wins that season.

Tbh, we were pretty awful that day at Chesterfield, seem to remember running the gauntlet back to the coaches. 

Don't know how accurate this is but I'll post it anyway. It was posted on Facebook a couple of years ago.

This was told by Jimmy Frizzell at a sportsman's dinner at Shaw Masonic Hall, probably about 2005. 

Jimmy had agreed to do a Q&A and was asked how Grovesy came to sign for us. Jimmy explained that he thought he had assembled a good squad.  He had just got Dick Mulvaney to shore up the defence.  He had got Colin Garwood up front to partner George Jones as Colin was very much a 20 goals a season man.  He had persuaded Andy Lochhead to add some experience and nowse.  He had George McVitie on one wing to supply accurate crosses but he felt we were a bit lacking on the left.  He had spoken to the Bournemouth chairman at the start of the 73/74 season and enquired about Grovesy, but was told there was no way he would be leaving Bournemouth as he was the best player in the league by a long way and they were up at the top of the league and expected promotion.

A few months went by.  One day Frizz got a call from the Chairman of Bournemouth asking if the club were still interested in taking Grovesy to BP.  The deal was done and in parting Frizz asked the Chairman why he had changed his mind.  The Chairman replied  "He may be the best player in the league but I have just found out that for the last six months he has been shagging my wife, so he has to go".  And that is the reason why we got him.

8 hours ago, bazerx said:

Don't know how accurate this is but I'll post it anyway. It was posted on Facebook a couple of years ago.

This was told by Jimmy Frizzell at a sportsman's dinner at Shaw Masonic Hall, probably about 2005. 

Jimmy had agreed to do a Q&A and was asked how Grovesy came to sign for us. Jimmy explained that he thought he had assembled a good squad.  He had just got Dick Mulvaney to shore up the defence.  He had got Colin Garwood up front to partner George Jones as Colin was very much a 20 goals a season man.  He had persuaded Andy Lochhead to add some experience and nowse.  He had George McVitie on one wing to supply accurate crosses but he felt we were a bit lacking on the left.  He had spoken to the Bournemouth chairman at the start of the 73/74 season and enquired about Grovesy, but was told there was no way he would be leaving Bournemouth as he was the best player in the league by a long way and they were up at the top of the league and expected promotion.

A few months went by.  One day Frizz got a call from the Chairman of Bournemouth asking if the club were still interested in taking Grovesy to BP.  The deal was done and in parting Frizz asked the Chairman why he had changed his mind.  The Chairman replied  "He may be the best player in the league but I have just found out that for the last six months he has been shagging my wife, so he has to go".  And that is the reason why we got him.

sounds very similar to a story i was told re signing him up was also told the reason for his departure to Blackpool was the debts run up from his failed business ventures we could not afford to raise his wages and he was close to going under financially when the deal with Blackpool was made  Grovesey received a large singing on fee from Blackpool as part of the deal which cleared his debts at the time he did not want to leave but was rather forced to . 

Been looking at an AFC Bournemouth fans forum, and it seems that Groves was a popular figure there, but not universally so, as this post by a member called 'The Flying Picket' illustrates:

"He could run, dribble and shoot, but he could not cross, which as a winger he was supposed to do.

He was also a showboater on the pitch, which upset his fellow pros.

We bought him for £30K to £40K and sold him to Oldham some fifteen months later for £10K (enough said), who then sold him on to Blackpool for £30K.

He was nothing but a waster who got involved in some shady car deals. Did he also not run a car lot in Ashley Road?"

LOL

That comment about his crossing ability, or lack of it, is interesting though. After the friendly match against SC Internacional in February 1975, their coach is reported to have been impressed by Groves's overall abilty, and said that he would have been good enough to be in the Brazilian national squad if he'd been able to cross the ball!

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:14 AM, mcfluff1985 said:

Well done, you just made the baby Jesus cry

I have just seen this after following the link posted on the new Groves thread.

To make it funnier, I automatically read it in a Jeremy Clarkson voice.

Brilliant!

• Like 1