Alan Groves

Just now, unsworth blue said:

There certainly was Lee, I think his missus had to leave school 9 days before she was officially allowed, by her DOB she should have had to have done another school term or year... (think thats right). 

Was plastered all over the newspapers at the time - scandalous in the day  

Her dad got fined a fiver or some ridiculous sum for not getting her to go to schoo.

6 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Am I missing something? Even without the afro, it's clear that Groves was mixed-race.

Agree - his facial features and skin colour indicated mixed race heritage (or always did to me).

And without doubt, the most skillful Latics player I have ever had the pleasure of watching - and by some distance. We've had some great and exciting players for sure but he stands head and shoulders above all others in my view.

I am, however, not old enough to have witnessed Bobby Johnstone play for Latics. One or two who did, say he was "on a different planet" (different type of player to Grovesy obviously).

Alan Groves-excellent, Simon Stainrod-brilliant, Bobby Johnstone- outstanding. The first player I saw at Latics who reminded me of Bobby Johnstone by passing the ball to a forward fast enough to beat the offside trap on a consistent basis was Ozzie Ardiles when we played Spurs in the cup. The next was John Sheridan, not seen one since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Alan Groves-excellent, Simon Stainrod-brilliant, Bobby Johnstone- outstanding. The first player I saw at Latics who reminded me of Bobby Johnstone by passing the ball to a forward fast enough to beat the offside trap on a consistent basis was Ozzie Ardiles when we played Spurs in the cup. The next was John Sheridan, not seen one since.

Eric Cantona at Man United when here was a bit special 

Peter Beardsley also took us apart.

must nod in agreement with sentiments.groves was from southport and a lorry driver driver by trade.for a while he courted my sister. told my mum is brains were in his feet.mum had to buy a new settee.springs went(mere speculation).alan groves RIP

4 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Agree - his facial features and skin colour indicated mixed race heritage (or always did to me).

And without doubt, the most skillful Latics player I have ever had the pleasure of watching - and by some distance. We've had some great and exciting players for sure but he stands head and shoulders above all others in my view.

I am, however, not old enough to have witnessed Bobby Johnstone play for Latics. One or two who did, say he was "on a different planet" (different type of player to Grovesy obviously).

Stainrod over the nonce, every time. Groves never did it at the highest level, unlike Stainrod, Ritchie and Sheridan. I'd even say the likes of Snodin were far better. He spent most of his career lower down the league.

Sorry, he was skilful, but we've had better. He had no affection for the club and I never liked him at the time or since.

26 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Stainrod over the nonce, every time. Groves never did it at the highest level, unlike Stainrod, Ritchie and Sheridan. I'd even say the likes of Snodin were far better. He spent most of his career lower down the league.

Sorry, he was skilful, but we've had better. He had no affection for the club and I never liked him at the time or since.

Prepare yourself !!!!!  😉

36 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/379176-the-lionel-messi-or-cristiano-ronaldo-that-never-was.amp.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Fair enough, this forum is all about opinions, as is often pointed out. Even completely barking ones.

3 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

You either didn't see him or you are very old and have forgotten. 

4 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Stainrod was a wonderful footballer and on his day was a sight to behold. 
Snodin, better than Grovesy, you must be on drugs!!!

This is what Harry Redknapp, who has played and managed at the top level said about him…..

Redknapp was teammates with Alan Groves at Bournemouth, and sheds light on just how talented this wing wizard was.

He labels his former teammate "the strongest, quickest, most skilful player I've ever seen.

"He was something else, this fella. It was frightening how much talent he had."

Coming from a well respected ex player and coach who must have played with some tremendous players in his career that’s an accolade that cannot be ignored.

An incredible footballer taken far to young!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 2

I remember he stood out when he came here with Shrewsbury  Town and thought wow...wish we had him.Thought the same with Colin Garwood when he came here with Peterborough .Thankfully we got both 

Nostalgic  person I am.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

All football geniuses, on that I'm sure we can all agree,

Groves was unreal but at the time Stainrod was God like and it hurt more (for me) when he was sold.

Then Rodger Wylde took it on.

Stainrod was my hero. What a player. Great for QPR in the top flight, as well. 

Wylde was a great character and goal scorer (I still see his knee slide at Rotherham). 

Then the other Roger came along to break all records.

Shit, we had some good players.

Sorry, I know people have a lot of affection for Groves, but I found him a bit creepy. I was very young, and perhaps his disgusting marriage to a kid affected my judgement. No doubting he had talent (although I still say it was mainly at a lower level, unlike Stainrod who was, without doubt, a much better player).

22 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

How disrespectful. The second time recently that fans off here have talked ill of former players (and superb ones at that) who have died (the other was some cheap shots at Andy Goram). To call someone a "nonce" when they broke no laws whatsoever is just so wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

How disrespectful. The second time recently that fans off here have talked ill of former players (and superb ones at that) who have died (the other was some cheap shots at Andy Goram). To call someone a "nonce" when they broke no laws whatsoever is just so wrong. 

Let's have it right... If it was now, he'd be all over Facebook being filmed by some toothless Yorkshireman in trackies. Well before my time but, from what I know, legal or not, it was morally questionable at best.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

You must admit it is a but alarming that he married a 16 year old girl...

13 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

All football geniuses, on that I'm sure we can all agree,

Groves was unreal but at the time Stainrod was God like and it hurt more (for me) when he was sold.

Then Rodger Wylde took it on.

Stainrod my hero too. Still remember his brilliant goal at Blackburn on debut 

• Like 1

Different times, I remember going with my dad to collect early bird season tickets and it was a surprise to learn one or two had been released, the team evolved rather than 15 new faces every time.

Felt like when Alan Young left he was doing the dirty on the club. We didn't get much insight into the goings on back then. If the recently posted interview is accurate one can't really blame him for doubling his pay. I remember being annoyed by the manner of his departure.

Stainrod's departure - though inevitable was genuinely upsetting.

• Like 1

Wasn’t Alan Young the first player to move on freedom of contract and the fee decided by a panel? Can’t remember the fee, although at the time it looked like we got robbed, £200k maybe?

Before The next Leicester match at BP, he was saying he wanted to score a hat-trick against us and he did, then proceeded to spit in front of the Oldham dugout.

Ended up a bit of a croc at Leicester who then shipped him out to Sheff United. I met a blades fan once and asked him about AY and he shook his head and said they’d named a wing of the local hospital after him as he was always in there

He was certainly one of the first. I think by the time it was settled he might technically have been the second.

Afraid I cant remember who so can't give due credit but someone recently posted an interview with him.

https://www.lcfc.com/history/players

Casts a different light on things compared to my small boy disappointment.

7 hours ago, DorsetBlue said:

Wasn’t Alan Young the first player to move on freedom of contract and the fee decided by a panel? Can’t remember the fee, although at the time it looked like we got robbed, £200k maybe?

Before The next Leicester match at BP, he was saying he wanted to score a hat-trick against us and he did, then proceeded to spit in front of the Oldham dugout.

Ended up a bit of a croc at Leicester who then shipped him out to Sheff United. I met a blades fan once and asked him about AY and he shook his head and said they’d named a wing of the local hospital after him as he was always in there

Iirc he scored 1 at BP in 1-1 draw which saw him celebrate  in front of the chaddy hence him getting a lot of stick for the reverse fixture at filbert street  lots of "wheres your hatrick Alan Young " from the traveling tics especially after big Jim Steel banged in the winner for a 1-0 win was a very happy trip back on the latics liner