BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 16th Aug '21 Episode 45: Picking A Scab

Just now, Dave_Og said:

I'd say not a cat in hell's chance of that in the short term 

Agree to disagree on that Dave. 

If we had new owners- albeit in the conference I think we would see a big increase in the crowd- certainly initially- and then as always results would dictate. Stockport are a great example, once you bottom out and start the climb again people will come back. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I am almost certain we would see 5/6k crowds again. And most importantly hope would be back. 

We didn’t have that bar the odd game before they arrived - numbers started plummeting with the advent of Dave Penney’s riveting brand 

We certainly wouldn’t get it in non league 

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

We didn’t have that bar the odd game before they arrived - numbers started plummeting with the advent of Dave Penney’s riveting brand 

We certainly wouldn’t get it in non league 

I know mate- But what have been served up? Absolute dross for 15 years. Take previous and current owners of it if it for a sec, it’s no wonder our crowds are dire. Not many will continue to watch consistently poor losing football. 

What was our biggest uptake in season tickets in recent years- the season we went down. Why? Because naively the hope came back, that we thought we might actually challenge instead of the standard 17th. 

People want hope and the chance of a good season, the league is irrelevant imo. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agree to disagree on that Dave. 

If we had new owners- albeit in the conference I think we would see a big increase in the crowd- certainly initially- and then as always results would dictate. Stockport are a great example, once you bottom out and start the climb again people will come back. 

I hope you're right

Just now, League one forever said:

I know mate- But what have been served up? Absolute dross for 15 years. Take previous and current owners of it if it for a sec, it’s no wonder our crowds are dire. Not many will continue to watch consistently poor losing football. 

What was our biggest uptake in season tickets in recent years- the season we went down. Why? Because naively the hope came back, that we thought we might actually challenge instead of the standard 17th. 

People want hope and the chance of a good season, the league is irrelevant imo. 

I remember thinking that when we dropped out of the prem especially after spanking Charlton 5-2 first game in the old Division 1.

Another reason I think we’d struggle to pull those crowds is looking around the main stand - our old guard are no spring chickens (my grandad being one) and I think our crowds are only heading one way for the foreseeable regardless of league or owners*

* unless a billionaire comes in of course 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I remember thinking that when we dropped out of the prem especially after spanking Charlton 5-2 first game in the old Division 1.

Another reason I think we’d struggle to pull those crowds is looking around the main stand - our old guard are no spring chickens (my grandad being one) and I think our crowds are only heading one way for the foreseeable regardless of league or owners*

* unless a billionaire comes in of course 

Yeah. And the difficulty is- since 93/94 we haven’t had one bounce back season or promotion to see if crowds came back. But look at every other club, that’s doing well or goes up. They see a relative increase to their usual fanbase size. 

That’s a fair point about our elder statesman, but then all clubs have that. And at the minute, how hard is it for the dads and mums to say- fancy coming watch us lose again? No question we need the next generation, but kids aren’t stupid, and like the rest of us they are fickle. Give them something to cheer about, and Latics on a Saturday will be become appealing again. 

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

I remember a few years back people on here saying a drop into the bottom division would re-invigorate us and our fanbase.............how's that one gone ? 

The same way as when people said it in 1994..

12 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I remember a few years back people on here saying a drop into the bottom division would re-invigorate us and our fanbase.............how's that one gone ? 

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The same way as when people said it in 1994..

People say it because they hope dropping a division will see us challenge. It’s not some deluded wish list. However If you keep being shit- at any football club- the fanbase will never bounce back. 

Why did season ticket sales go up in our first season in league two? 

Why did crowds increase when Blitz first took over? 

The answer to both - is hope. 

Fans haven’t magically disappeared, they just grown apathetic to years and years of dross. 

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Swap City for any club. Results on the pitch is all anyone gives a shit about. Get the results consistently the rest goes away

Agreed. 100% 

But that wasn’t the initial point, Al-bro asked what would happen with admin. And like you’re suggesting- all I’m saying is, results at whatever level will bring the crowds back. 

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fans haven’t magically disappeared, they just grown apathetic to years and years of dross. 

Sadly I think many have gone to the great football ground in the sky and generations after haven't followed in their footsteps.

If we have a dormant support, it hasn't been tapped into yet..

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived